Benelli M4 C-Stop limbsaver

ning1986

Re: "The noveske plate 'doesn't work' on the c stock because you can't fully collapse the stock with it. When collapsed, the recoil spring tube extends into the oem pad slightly and the noveske plate prevents this from happening. If you don't mind not being able to fully collapse the stock, it will work.".

Seems it'd still collapse a little bit though, right? Still seems like the gun would still be considered an assault weapon in CA. Agree?

This is correct. You can partially collapse the stock. I can't speak for California's laws, though.

Interesting. Think it would be an issue to drill a hole into the Limbsaver to allow the receiver extension to pass into the pad? The plate might be okay to cut down into two pieces.
I have started down this path. I have already drilled the limbsaver to accept the receiver extension, I just need to cut the Noveske plate to allow it to attach the limbsaver pad. then off to test at the range... Edited by trob09

Good to hear no goo poured out of the Limbsaver. You going to trim the Noveske plate so the top and bottom mounting position has the Limbsaver compatible mounting hole? The heavy duty plastic base of the Limsaver should act as the support brace.

I should receive my Noveske plates today. I'll mount one up and see if it functions and causes any cycling failures tomorrow hopefully.

Good to hear no goo poured out of the Limbsaver. You going to trim the Noveske plate so the top and bottom mounting position has the Limbsaver compatible mounting hole? The heavy duty plastic base of the Limsaver should act as the support brace.

I should receive my Noveske plates today. I'll mount one up and see if it functions and causes any cycling failures tomorrow hopefully.

no goo - just some air and the soft rubber of the butt plate. That was my thinking exactly on cutting the Noveske plate - the plastic base of the limbsaver should be enough - all the Noveske plate is doing is providing mounting holes in the proper place...

Howz it going with the C Stock and the Limbsaver? I just got my M4 LE today!

Congratulations. Nice Christmas present.

I hit some snags on the installation since none of the screws really fit the M4's collapsible stock. It's become a real PITA. I cut the Noveske mounting bracket already. That was relatively easy and should work fine. I need to get the thread size off of the existing screws and find some hardware that will actually work. Once that's done, I'll look into drilling out the Limbsaver to allow the receiver extension to pass thru the buttpad.

Congratulations. Nice Christmas present.

I hit some snags on the installation since none of the screws really fit the M4's collapsible stock. It's become a real PITA. I cut the Noveske mounting bracket already. That was relatively easy and should work fine. I need to get the thread size off of the existing screws and find some hardware that will actually work. Once that's done, I'll look into drilling out the Limbsaver to allow the receiver extension to pass thru the buttpad.

We're pullin' for ya! I ordered 2 Limbsavers yesterday for this Coon Hunt

Thanks. I'll post one up assuming it isn't a complete fail. Noveske really did a poor job on the bracket. They could have easily sized it to the base of the butt pad and had plenty of room for a pass thru hole for the receiver extension. That would leave the end user with the task of drilling out a hole in the base of the Limbsaver for the extension.

I also noted their bracket was poorly spec'ed. The alignment of the screw holes are off. The best way to fix it is to remove material from the edges that prevent the bracket from snugging up to the top and bottom lip or the stock butt pad pocket. I chopped the bracket into two pieces to remove the area that interferes with the receiver extension.

Im expecting drilling into the Limbsaver to be a pain in the ass too. I don't expect the inner material to drill out well. I want to avoid drilling all the way they the pad for cosmetic and debris avoidance reasons. The material would likely be best cut out. How to do so cleanly will be a challenge. Plus you need to cut the hole out at an angle to follow the angle of the receiver extension.

I want a mill so freaking bad. Even a cheap Chinese one would be easy to make a proper bracket plate with an appropriate hole.

So maybe with your new offer of shop services, you can put together a kit to do the Limbsaver the right way. Might justify the purchase of a mill! Sign me up!

I want a mill so freaking bad.
I know the feeling. I once had unlimited access to a Bridgeport and other precision machine tools - sure made life easier!

I'll definitely look at it as an option.

I knocked out this project today and mounted it up to my Burnt Bronze M4. I got it so that the stock will still collapse completely. The project isn't for the faint of heart. I considered returning all the parts several times and giving up. I'm taking the M4's out tomorrow to test them to see if the Limbsaver causes any functional problems. I'll compare to a collapsible stock with the OEM buttpad to get a real feel for if the pad helps, hinders or is indifferent to various loads.

First of all, the fasteners you need for this is a M4 0.7 pitch metric thread. You want fasteners that are 8mm in length. I tried 10mm versions, and they were too long. You also want to get a fastener that has a head that matches the countersunk hole in the bracket. I got these at Home Depot very cheap.

With the Noveske plate, I cut the bracket so that the pass thru hole for the receiver extension was unobstructed. I ran the part over an electric sanding station to true up the edges. These parts won't be visible. Since they're aluminum, you won't have any corrosion concerns. If you're worried about the appearance, hit it with some Alumablack. Locktite the fasteners once you complete your final assembly.

IMG_0423_zpsd4iocoat.jpg

Now, to make the receiver extension fully collapse and lock into position, you're going to need to drill a hole into the Limbsaver approximately 7/8" in diameter and at an angle to match the angle of the receiver extension. The inside of the Limbsaver is hollow, so you won't have to drill through any inner medium. All you have to get through is the tough plastic base. Realistically, the only way to do this correctly is with a drill press (or a mill.) You need some method of clamping the butt pad to the plate. You're clamping a squishy object, so the tighter you clamp it, your angle changes. I elected for a 7 degree tilt of the table to match the angle of the receiver extension. What I did was I tested the angle on a piece of scrap wood. I drilled my angled hole into the wood and seated it over the end of the stock and determined that the angle was correct. To get a center point to drill, I installed the Limbsaver and dropped a silver Sharpie down the end of the collapsible stock with the lid off. I shook it around and let it dance for a few seconds. When I removed the Limbsaver, it had a pretty good area covered in silver showing me where the hole was located. I then scribed a center line between the two screw holes. The boring bit I used was meant for wood, so I had to go really slow to avoid it grabbing the material.

Now, the inside of the Limbsaver is a hollow cavity that has a large rubber plug in the center that is attached to the rubberized butt pad. This rubber plug is normally resting against the plastic plate that I just drilled through. When pressing the base of the butt pad with your thumb, you can see the plug move easily. How this will affect the performance of the pad will be determined tomorrow. When collapsing the stock completely, you can feel the end of the receiver extension fill the void.

IMG_0426_zpsijpy5snx.jpg

Edited by StrangerDanger

Just got back for testing. Huge improvement in recoil management over the OEM buttpad. I shot around a 100 rounds of 2 3/4 high brass buckshot along with a couple hundred rounds of value pack birdshot. The Burnt Bronze M4 has the Limbsaver installed and the black M4 had OEM buttpad. The Limbsaver definitely takes the bite off of the heavy recoiling rounds. I didn't experience any reliability issues with the high brass rounds.

I didnt perceive any negative affects from drilling out the buttpad to allow the stock to fully collapse.

Overall, it was worth while upgrade. Just a real pita to install.

Just got back for testing. Huge improvement in recoil management over the OEM buttpad. I shot around a 100 rounds of 2 3/4 high brass buckshot along with a couple hundred rounds of value pack birdshot. The Burnt Bronze M4 has the Limbsaver installed and the black M4 had OEM buttpad. The Limbsaver definitely takes the bite off of the heavy recoiling rounds. I didn't experience any reliability issues with the high brass rounds.

I didnt perceive any negative affects from drilling out the buttpad to allow the stock to fully collapse.

Overall, it was worth while upgrade. Just a real pita to install.

Thanx for doing this! I'll order some Noveske adapters tonight. That stock Benelli pad is pretty hard.

Looks like the hardest part is figuring out what to use to drill the Limbsaver

You could do it with the drill and a Dremel if you had a half hour to spare. How clean of a hole it is doesn't really matter much. Even the angle of the drilling is mostly for cosmetics no one will ever see and to keep the smallest possible hole. If you have a drill press (mill would be better actually,) this is the best option. If it doesn't have a vice though, you risk it grabbing the work and ripping it out of your hand.

Locating where to drill the hole is probably the hardest part of all. The shaking sharpie method works rather well surprisingly.

You could do it with the drill and a Dremel if you had a half hour to spare. How clean of a hole it is doesn't really matter much. Even the angle of the drilling is mostly for cosmetics no one will ever see and to keep the smallest possible hole. If you have a drill press (mill would be better actually,) this is the best option. If it doesn't have a vice though, you risk it grabbing the work and ripping it out of your hand.

Locating where to drill the hole is probably the hardest part of all. The shaking sharpie method works rather well surprisingly.

I do have a drill press with a Harbor Freight DP vise

I guess just a regular drill bit turning as slow as possible?

Edited by les_garten

That will work. Do you have a bit that is 7/8"? That's a pretty good size bit.

I bought a forestners set of bits which worked well.

Another trick is to compress the Limbsaver so your drill vice grips the plastic part of the Limbsaver. Most vices aren't tall enough to grip the base of the pad without compressing it first. The rubber part is too pliable to try to hold with the vice.