Benelli M4 C-Stop limbsaver

ning1986

Now that the efficacy of the Limbsaver is proven, it's time to offer a kit consisting of a Limbsaver pad drilled as necessary, a mounting plate customized to the M4 (not Noveske) and necessary hardware. Goal would be a "tool free" DIY installation (except for a screwdriver)! :rolleyes: Got my credit card ready!

That will work. Do you have a bit that is 7/8"? That's a pretty good size bit.

I bought a forestners set of bits which worked well.

Another trick is to compress the Limbsaver so your drill vice grips the plastic part of the Limbsaver. Most vices aren't tall enough to grip the base of the pad without compressing it first. The rubber part is too pliable to try to hold with the vice.

Didn't figure I'd have a 7/8" and I was right. Biggest I have is a 3/4"

I hear ya. Making a specific plate will be the costly part. Everyone loves making curved cuts on a manual mill. Chopping the Noveske plates works pretty well. It's not ideal, but it worked. I even fired a bunch of the value pack #7.5 and #8 birdshot to see if it would cause any cycling issues. It only failed when I intentionally limp shouldered it. It does the same on the stock M4. Not one single failure when using the heavy buckshot loads. Some of which I did slow motion recordings of, which are awesome in 1080i resolution.

I wonder how a hole saw a 7/8" would do? No real need to drill away the material in the center?

Wondering if it would be cost effective to do the plate on CNC type equipment? Would be some programming and setup costs, but maybe would work for, say, 100 pieces. Maybe Noveske could/would do it for you by adapting their current design? Fairly simple part. You could test the market by getting advance commitments. :confused:

Edited by NHnewbie

I don't think IWC gave a torque spec, so I just tightened them firmly with the blue locktite and primer. Wiggling the fasteners in can be a bit tight.

Glad you got that mag tube in!

The tube is a thing of beauty! I did not Lock-tite it in.

I really need a CC Bolt handle. I'm livin' clean, stopped cussin', started goin' to Church, been callin' my momma like I'm supposed to but nothin's workin!

I'm actually surprised that Noveske makes an adapter plate at all. Must have been a personal interest of someone there.

Noveske may be too large to give this further attention. Perhaps you could partner with one of the smaller manufacturers of machined firearm accessories. Like those that make rails etc for the M4. Or a company like Parker Mountain Machine (http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/) or Sampson or Shooting Sight. These guys seem to be entrepreneurs and may be willing to underwrite the development cost of a proper mounting plate for the Limbsaver. BTW, I have purchased several PMM SCAR accessories and been pleased.

I am in touch via email with the owner of Parker Mountain Machine re providing an adapter specifically for the M4. PMM is a few miles from where I live and I can provide a C-stock for measurements, fitting, etc. So far, an expression of interest on the part of PMM but nothing definite. Stay tuned.

Further response from PMM:

Rick, the attached image took me all of 10 min to draw up and would take me about 30 min to mach9ine one plate for this project. Rather then modify an existing product I would rather make a new one for the application.

What sort of interest is there for it? Would the guys on the board be interested in a Group buy? If so I would naturally need the proper dimension of the holes and would ask you to provide me with either those measurement's with a tolerance up to .000" positions, or a the but stock to measure here on my end. I can also do a Printed 3D model of a test fit forst before making a real part to assumer it will fit. what do you think?

cleardot.gif

Attachments area

Preview attachment BINELLI ADAPTOR.jpg

?ui=2&ik=f53e4457fe&view=fimg&th=15202d28daeb0ef6&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=f_iix87n9m0&attbid=ANGjdJ-mFdgC7QBXjsW0_bH_gyzNTnSd6CoZ9YsBlVyT7XbF7h3BNupEbV00z4gmCa0964JR2XysmpV2WM7GLsIjKpRmhKL_WpAopI5epUIGVe9OMpvUoavY4rN4v4c&sz=w180-h120-p-nu&ats=1451746473701&rm=15202d28daeb0ef6&zw

I finally finished up my modifications to the C-stock limbsaver. I did the same steps as StragnerDanger with a couple of exceptions:

- hand tools most of the way instead of a drill press/milling machine - because I don't have a press/mill. Just a little slower-going and care taken. After drilling the hole, I'm not sure that drilling at an angle is all that important, it only matters for the thickness of the plate on the limbsaver and i can't see how an angle there would make any difference beyond making the hole ever-so-slightly smaller. location of the hole is very important though, so I started smaller and enlarged the hole to get just enough clearance to collapse the stock.

- I had some left over machine screws from some previous work on my SCAR - lo and below they were the prefect thread pitch for holding the Noveske plate parts in place - I just needed to shorten the screws and it was good-to-go.

with the right parts, this could be easily knocked out in an hour or so. Testing at the range went well, recoil reduction was noticeable, even with winter clothing on here in the frozen north. No failures in the 200 rounds or so of mixed ammo sent downrange (slugs, 00 buck, #7 bird, reduced recoil and full power).

I also have a number of parts from PMM on my SCAR and PS90. An adapter plate from them would be a good thing. You would still have to drill out the limbsaver plate. properly designed, the adapter plate could work like a template for the drilling.

Drilling at an angle probably isn't needed since you're only going thru about 1/8" of material. I did another one tonight. I used a standard set of drill bits in the drill press, I stepped up a few times from a 1/4 - 1/2 to hog out the material. I then switched to the Forstner bit to take it the rest of the way to 7/8".

I returned my drill press vice since it sucked. I plan on buying an XY axis vice for it soon. So I just did the drilling by hand. I lifted the work up into the Forstner bit slowly and hogged out the material. It was centered on the 1/2" hole already so it didn't try to grab much.

IMG_0435_zpsmdmbwbtz.jpg

See how the bracket doesn't like to align with the fastener holes? Taking some material off of the bottom of the bracket will allow the bracket to center over the fasteners.

IMG_0436_zpsz0mnjkxj.jpg

Here I have a rough outline of what I need to remove. Markings were done with a silver sharpie.

Edited by StrangerDanger

IMG_0439_zpswzc1pzsy.jpg

Here the edges of the bracket are cleaned up with a sanding belt. I then radiused the edges for cosmetics and to remove sharp edges. I then used a finer grit sanding cloth to polish up the edges.

IMG_0441_zpsamfnipbz.jpgI sanded the tip down to allow the bracket to fit better within the collapsible stock. Removing a small amount of material permits the bracket to center of the fastener hole better.

Edited by StrangerDanger