Hello, New to the board

jjgi5150

Hi everyone,

Just found this site, and it looks pretty good. I am a new M1 Super 90 owner...almost...I'll get to pick it up on the 27th.

I bought the last remaining Tactical at a dealer I frequent, and it was a good buy in my mind. I was also looking at the 11-87P, but since I am assigned an M1 14" Entry for my work, it makes good sense to me to stick with a platform I am used to and good with.

Anyway, the Tactical I bought has a 14" entry barrel, but also the muzzle brake from a Practical? permanently attached, to keep it legal for PRC private ownership.

Kind of nice, since I will be able to now compare the two side by side for any difference of operation. I doubt there will be any benefit with the brake, and I didn't buy it for that, I just wanted an M1 instead of the newer M2, and I could not find a new M1 Tactical with an 18" barrel where I have been shopping.

I also found a new standard (non pistol grip) stock, so I can have both, as mine came with the pistol grip style. My work gun has the standard stock, and I think I like it better that the PG style. I think I got a good deal on the new stock, only $41.00 on an E-bay bidding.

I'm glad to be here and hope I can contribute some info and experience...

Thanks, and take care,

JJ

Welcome to the board. 41 bucks is a great price. I don't understand why the 14" MUST have s muzzle brake?? Private citezens can own a 14" barrel (as we know) but you have to fill out form 1 and wait for the BATF&E to approve, pay tax stamp, etc. What is the purpose of the muzzle brake? Is it 4 inchs long? I guess maybe that could meet the minimun 18" requirement? I doubt this however. Then you wouldn't have to go through the BATF&E. I'n not sure. I know I've seen citezens w/ 14" LEGAL barrels without a muzzle break. It may help w/ recoil, probably not much though. Once again welcome and stafe safe while out w/ that 14"er.

Hi FN,

Yes, it is true that with BATF approval, a 14" barrel can be had...but here in CA, you still need the additional approval from the State of California Department of Justice, and those are just not given out very often, even to full-time a LEO. A SBS in CA, without a CA DOJ permit, is a 12020 (a) PC felony.

I have never tried to get a permit from them, but those I know that have were not successful.

Back when I had my FFL, I used to think the BATF was a pain in the butt, but in the mid-90's, out here at least, it was the CA DOJ that really took over as the biggest pain ever related to firearms.

They are the reason I folded my FFL...just not worth all the trouble to me for a home operated side business.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome...I'll report on the purchase as soon as I get it...

Take care,

JJ

After doing a Google search, it appears the Title 1 minimum legal barrel length for a normal category shotgun is 18 inches with a minimum overall length of 26 inches.

The minimum for a normal category rifle barrel is 16 inches.

Yeah I run a Class III range and its without question 18" for shotguns.(non-regulated) As Remy pointed out rifles are 16" before entering into NFA area. I used to always confuse the two and a-lot of people do. Even some vendors I've dealt with.

jj I'll come out and say it, dealing w/ the BATF&E is like pulling teeth for some people. It all depends. I'm not talking about the brave men and women that are shutting down meth labs, busting gun runners, etc. but the paper pushers who like to hand out red tape, and sit on there arse all day. BIG difference.

I believe quite actually that anyone can own a 14" entry barrel technically. The law reads that you cannot own a short barreled shotgun (without the papers) not a short shotgun barrel. Now, I know...who would have one without wanting to put it on and play. But, just the same, owning a short shotgun barrel is not illegal. You would probably get a hard time over it but, if it's clean and not on a receiver, where is the crime? I'm not saying I'm right 100% but that's just the way I read the letter of the law. If I'm wrong, clarification is in order and documentation would be nice. I think this could be interesting.

Technically I believe you are right wallhanger54. My partner at the shop is also a lawyer, he knows all the tech. info. to the letter. I just know that when dealing w/ the ATF they are VERY particular about EVERY SINGLE LITTLE ITEM. Absolutely NO gray areas w/ them. Enough to drive one mad. I personally wouldn't chance owning one (w/out the paperwork.) Lets be honest what would you use it for, a big paper weight? I do think you can be in posession of just a 14" barrel. However lets say you own a cammo shotgun w/ a 26" barrel on it, clearly not a tactical shotgun by any means. Now I don't think you can be in posession of the 14" barrel. (given they're the same gauge) I'm 50/50 on this. Common sense tells you (or the ATF) you can swap barrels in minutes and have an illegal NFA weapon. Even if you were able to have both items at the same address I personally wouldn't be comfortable w/ it. This coming from a guy with several LEGAL class III firearms I own. I'm probably just jaded by years of dealing w/ the ATF, just one full audit by them is a nightmare and I've been through 3. (as a business owner, not just my collection)

I hear you on the bureaucratic paper pushers being jacka$$es. They were at my favorite local dealer last year for something like a week checking every record he had, dotted I's & crossed T's crap ... just looking for trouble. He's second generation; been in business at least 75 years; middle class clientele. Said it was a very unpleasant experience, arrogant & almost adversarial.

The reason I asked the question is that my son asked if we had any old shotgun kicking around for home protection. There was an old 20ga Stevens double which I couldn't hit a barn door with when I was a kid. I told him to take it. He said the thing is kind of cumbersome for wielding in the house. I told him just cut the barrel down, I hate the thing anyway. Remembering Ruby Ridge ... I told him "if you do hack it down, just make sure you don't cut any shorter than 16-1/4" :eek: :eek: I doubt he has taken a saw to it yet ... BUT????

Make sure he doesn't go shorter then 18". Say he has a home intruder and has to do a rightous shooting to protect life (and all the other ridiculous criteria one has to adhere to before they can shoot a home invasion criminal, all states differ but mine is ridiculous and I think NJ is pretty bad as well) Its almost like they want to protect the criminals. Anyways back to my point if he ever does use the firearm to protect the home, the cops show up and he's just used a short barreled shotgun (which is illegal by itself w/o papers) hes going to jail. Of course these are all worse case scenarios but w/ the world the way it is.... I like to follow Murphy's Laws, cause Murphy likes to follow me! Theres a relatively new, inexpensive 870 just for home defense. Its called the 870P max, (its called a police model but civilians can own the ones w/18" barrels same day) Maybe get him a b-day present, this 870 is a sweet setup w/ all kinds of features for a good price. Just don't go under 18"s!!!