Benelli M1S90 - what safety is this?

ASH556

Hey guys I have a Post-HK Benelli M1 that I bought as a 28" field gun. I've also bought a 21" vent ribbed barrel for it, some Nordic gear, and am getting it ready to go for 3gun this year. I also just (yesterday) put money down on a 14" M1S90 entry, that is an HK import (new, old stock @ my local shop, pretty cool). Anyway, the 14" gun has the very small button safety whereas my field model came to me with a nice, large triangle safety that I thought was stock, but now I'm not so sure. I cannot find one like it anywhere (Brownells, Midway, Midwest Gun, etc). I'd like to get the same large triangle safety and stick it on my 14" entry gun. Here are some pics. Can anyone help me identify it? I thought it might be factory, but again, cannot find it anywhere.

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg

That is an obsolete safety made by Benelli many years ago for the Benelli M1 practical and XM1014. Several ordinary M1s and SBEI were installed with those buttons.

I considered it phased out because it is not compatible with the M2, Monetefeltro, and SBEII trigger guard in addition to the M1 becoming extinct. The M1014 uses the same trigger guard as the M1, but they are installed with the smaller triangle button.

The new safety is smaller, one sided, and does not use any screws. Taran and Briely make a similar triangular button. See StrangerDanger's guide on replacing it yourself.

acfb8a8.jpg

Occasionally one will pop up on Ebay or GB as "new - old stock" in its original Benelli wrapping. I picked up a couple over the years that way. Later versions only had the triangle on one side with just the round button on the other.

Edited by truckcop

Oh yeah, and Vertigofirearms: While the M1 may no longer be in production, to call it "extinct" overstates the situation, IMHO. They are still highly desirable as field guns as well as the basis for 3-gun shooters. They still bring a pretty good price, although deals can be had, and since most of the internal parts are compatible with the M2 it will be easy to maintain their operation for years to come. Extinct? I don't think so. :D

Edited by truckcop