Whacking and bending shotgun barrels ?

blackpowder1

Hi all-around,

Since my Benelli M2 consistently shoots left of POA with a wide selection of different slugs and manufacturers, I decided to roam through some forums in search of correcting the problem. Not only did I find that this was a common issue with a lot of folks - POI not equal to POA - but the most common solution offers was whacking the barrel against something like a tree or fencepost. So somehow, I thought I'm in the wrong movie until this "whacking" turned out to be quite a sport and accepted method to bend barrels in order to get them to shoot to point of aim. Are you folks serious?:confused: First, I have a natural aversion to whacking any part of my gun against anything harder than a predators head - four legged or other. Second, there must be another way of correcting the problem at it's root cause because I don't believe that a lot of barrels leave the factories bent to begin with.

Perhaps someone out there can shed some light on this phenomena of seemingly crooked barrels and how to correct this issue other than? . . well, you know . . . :rolleyes:

Once it has been established that there is a POA/POI discrepancy and not a fit-to-the-shooter issue, there are ways that it can be addressed. Sometimes, a higher/lower sight bead or rib can be used to fix up/down issues. Right/left issues a(and up/down issues) can possibly be remedied by eccentric choke tubes. There are smith's out there that offer barrel bending services. I've never had someone seriously suggest that "whacking" a barrel against a tree or fencepost could be a viable technique and if they did, I would move back away from them as far as I could get. That's a good way to really cause some real damage to the barrel, not just make a fine adjustment. There are jigs a barrel can be placed in to make adjustments but from what I've seen it would necessitate removal of a vent rib if so equipped. You don't say which version M2 you have or the sighting system. If you're exclusively shooting slugs, a barrel with adjustable rifle sights could fix your problem. If you have a friend with a M2 configured the same as yours, swap barrels and see if the issue still exists or goes away. Have him shoot with your barrel on his gun. Who knows, your problem might go away and he might not have a problem. Problem solved. Tree whacking?? I don't think so.

Edited by truckcop

Thanks Truckcop,

1. The discrepancy is not a shooters issue. I shot from a home made bench rest and one friend try it as well with always the same result - POI 4-5 inches to the left at 15 yards..

2. I have the standard military ghost ring sights. I just fixed the problem yesterday by clicking the ghost ring as far as it would go to one side touching the side plate and then moved the front post a bit to the other side (which required tools). Now it is dead on at 15 yards.

BUT: First of all, this looks damned awkward and second, I still feel there is something not right somewhere. Could it be that the problem is with the interface between barrel and receiver?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thks!

I agree. Whacking is not a good idea. You are using a smoothbore barrel and Benelli barrels do have a tendency to lead up very badly which will throw the shots. Have you cleaned the lead out? Inspect it and if it is heavily leaded you will need a Hoppes Tornado stainless steel spiral wound brush. Use it dry with a solid rod and with much scrubbing it will remove the lead and not harm the chrome in the barrel. It only takes about 5 to 10 slugs to lead up a bore to where it will effect accuracy. Exactly what brand, size and velocity slug are you using as that may be the problem.

While uncommon, I have had a new GR-equipped gun arrive with the front sight soldered on just a bit off. (not a Benelli) I had the sight-in problem you have. Upon very close inspection you could see the sight wasn't aligned perfectly on top of the barrel but was off to the side a couple of millimeters. Anything is possible. IMO, shotgun barrels aren't science. They're voodoo. We have 30 identical 870's in the academy inventory with identical configurations. They'll all shoot to POA but they're all individuals when it comes to shot patterning. Some pattern tight. Some pattern loose, to be kind.

barrel looks pretty clean. sent about 350 shells, shot and slugs, through it and mechanically clean it after every use. Never really cleaned it chemically. Will do that now to rule out that problem. The slugs I use are: Gecco 2.6" competition slugs.

@truckcop: checked the front sight and it's centered.

I still have the strange feeling the problem lies elsewhere. Has anyone ever heard of improper barrel to receiver fit or problems in that area?

Chemically? I think you're looking too much into it. If there was a barrel to receiver fit issue, you wouldn't be able to assemble it. If it's aligned, it's aligned. Looked up the Geco ammo, never shot it or bought any. I try to keep it real in what I'm using so I can get it anywhere and trust the results. How about using a standard Fed or Remington rifled 2 3/4" 1oz slug. I don't think the problem lies elsewhere except in the ammo. I've shot way too many different M2 Tac's in my life to know that some of this whiz-bang-frangible, I paid way too much for this ammo stuff doesn't work well usually. Except for the rare case, I have always been able to get them to shoot straight and have centered sights. Usually the problem is the ammo, leaded barrel or shooter. If the barrel looks like a mirror finish on the inside, that means it's clean. Now reduced to ammo and/or shooter problem.

Cast

Cast is the windage adjustment on a shotgun. It’s a lateral bend in the stock designed to center your dominant eye over the rib. Shooters with wider, rounder faces or narrowly set eyes often need cast, while many thin-faced shooters can shoot uncast stocks (most American gunstocks have no cast, whereas many European guns do). Right-handed shooters need “cast off,” a bend to the right; lefties need “cast on.” If you want to adjust cast on a pump or a semi-auto shotgun use a toothpick shim. Loosen the bolt and wedge the shim lengthwise along the stock head opposite the direction you want to bend the stock. Gunsmiths can permanently cast stocks with hot oil or a heat lamp.

Cast

Cast is the windage adjustment on a shotgun. It’s a lateral bend in the stock designed to center your dominant eye over the rib. Shooters with wider, rounder faces or narrowly set eyes often need cast, while many thin-faced shooters can shoot uncast stocks (most American gunstocks have no cast, whereas many European guns do). Right-handed shooters need “cast off,” a bend to the right; lefties need “cast on.” If you want to adjust cast on a pump or a semi-auto shotgun use a toothpick shim. Loosen the bolt and wedge the shim lengthwise along the stock head opposite the direction you want to bend the stock. Gunsmiths can permanently cast stocks with hot oil or a heat lamp.

Just so no one thinks she's just making this up, you can find those^ exact words here:http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/how-to-achieve-perfect-shotgun-fit

Thanks Truckcop,

1. The discrepancy is not a shooters issue. I shot from a home made bench rest and one friend try it as well with always the same result - POI 4-5 inches to the left at 15 yards..

2. I have the standard military ghost ring sights. I just fixed the problem yesterday by clicking the ghost ring as far as it would go to one side touching the side plate and then moved the front post a bit to the other side (which required tools). Now it is dead on at 15 yards.

BUT: First of all, this looks damned awkward and second, I still feel there is something not right somewhere. Could it be that the problem is with the interface between barrel and receiver?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thus!

You are correct, it's not right OR acceptable.

You want to be able to keep the weapon mechanically zeroed. IOW, you should be able to keep the rear sight witness mark centered in the sight base, and only adjust the front sight right or left to attain windage zero, just like you would zero an M1 Garand or M14 rifle.

IF you move the front post as far as it will go in either direction and you still have to move the rear sight, then you have two options.

You can do as you have and live with it or, you can send it back to Benelli as a warranty issue. This is not right to keep it like that.

If you were talking about a Springfield Armory M1A, they would absolutely without question, replace the barrel, and if that did not work, they would replace the whole rifle and have done so many times.

As I said, the weapon should be able to be mechanically zeroed for windage without having to move the rear sight.

Edited by Evolution