Looking for a unicorn - WTB M1 21" barrel

Zaxxon

Been a Benelli owner for 8 years, though haven't posted much. I've had an M1 Super 90 with a 26" field barrel at least that long. Great gun, in fact one of the best IMHO.

I'm looking for a shorter 21" barrel for HD and turkey. I know full well these are like finding a pink unicorn. But if anyone has one for sale, or knows where I could look besides the regular places, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

You'll probably find that pink unicorn first. :rolleyes: I had one more older M1 field that I had been trying to find one for. I ended up selling that one and just buying a M2 with a 21 inch barrel. My local Bass Pro had one in stock. Less frustration, more immediate gratification. Then, if you so desire, you can find a longer barrel to put on it at lot easier than you can find the shorter ones.

I did think along those lines, since a lot of three gun guys favor the M2. I think I'll shake the bushes at the local shops before giving up. Some of those guys know where there are 'dormant' firearms and unused accessories.

My H+K S90 M1 in Police Configuration has a 20 inch barrel with fixed rifle sights. Since it's shorter than the 21 inch barrel you are seeking, I know you wouldn't be interested. Besides I would never sell it - just teasing you a lot. Who would possibly want a police model, all black, with pistol grip and full mag that holds 7 rounds + 1? Just for fun I also bought the 28 inch ventilated hunting barrel with 3 chokes, magazine limiter and standard stock, at the same time I bought the Benelli for just over $750 dollars. You have to love those 1986 prices. When it's time for me to move on to greener pastures, I want that Benelli buried with me. But, those 20 inch barrels are out there!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the oppurtunity to buy an M2 with a 21" barrel. I love the gun but I would use it mostly for skeet shooting and pheasant hunting. I'm just wondering if that barrel is too short for that and how much longer barrels cost for the M2. Any advice here would help

I have the oppurtunity to buy an M2 with a 21" barrel. I love the gun but I would use it mostly for skeet shooting and pheasant hunting. I'm just wondering if that barrel is too short for that and how much longer barrels cost for the M2. Any advice here would help

Maybe should have started a new thread with this question but a 21" M2 is just fine for skeet and pheasant shooting. That configuration was my primary skeet/sporting clays/pheasant hunting gun in 12 ga. until I started shooting a lot of 20 ga. a couple of years ago. If they made one, I'd put a 21 incher on my 20 ga. M2. Some people prefer the sight picture/swing of the longer barrels but it is absolutely not necessary for the shooting you mention.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat you are in. I had the 24 inch barrel and wanted the 21. I went to the 3-gun forums and posted it in the classified sections. It took a couple years but I finally got a 21 inch barrel, but it was from a new M2.

The M2 barrel fit just fine in the receiver, it was the forearm that was the trouble. It would not fit at all. I had to take out the DREMEL tool and grind out some material but I eventually got it to fit and work just fine. It fits just as good as it did when I got it with the 24 inch. I would like to get a new forend from an M2 to see if it would fit, but it's not a priority right now.

Don't give up. You can use an M2 or the M1 barrel. You might have to buy one, those are scarce too and expensive, but in the end you'd have a nice 21 inch HD shotgun and an extra 26 inch barrel to shoot clays with if you want.

Good Luck.

Nalajr

• 2 weeks later...