Surefire M80 rail removal or rail install on FFT forend

dominicanpowerhouse

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Benelli M4 & I have several questions regarding forends. (First thread)

1. Does anyone know if the picatinny rails on a Surefire M80 forend are removable? Or at least made a solid attempt in modifying it?

2. Has anyone tried modifying a forend, either a stock forend or one from Freedom Fighter Tactical with a picatinny rail?

I'm well aware of all the forend options that are available however, not one seems to fit my needs. My goal is to have something fairly lightweight, ergonomic & have a bottom picatinny rail for mounting a vertical foregrip. Plus, it being made in the USA for 922r compliance, ( I know I have a few compliance parts already but the more the merrier). I realized that wasn't going to be possible without thinking outside the box, hence the questions.

I've so far made due with a few modifications for my M4 (more details to come in a separate post on how I accomplished this after I've finished this project):

I've added a recoil reducing stock, a larger charging handle, a larger bolt release, pistol grip with single point sling attachment & ordered a titanium Carrier Comp 7 round magazine tube and a follower. Also ordered a laser/light combo vertical foregrip.

Thanks ahead of of time for any help/insight that you may extend, happy shooting!

Edited by dominicanpowerhouse

It wouldn't be easy to mount a picatinny rail to the bottom of the OEM or FFT Handguards since that is where they handguards meet together.

Your best bet is the m80 or the Promag one suki has if a bottom rail is mandatory. I've modified the Handguards in the past to fit weapon lights. It was a lot of work and no where near as solid as the AVA Tactical mounting solution.

Sukhoi_fan, I'll take you up on that offer. Once I get off of work I'll pm you so we can work out the details, thanks. I saw the Promag forend however I couldn't for the life of me find it being sold alone cause I haven't no need for the stock.

The M80 was not appealing to me simply because of the bulk of it all. However I had hoped the side rails could have been removed. Also I'd say its price was a deterrent.

I was thinking of getting an ATI forend and modifying it since its in one piece. I may still get it when I see one on EBAY or somewhere else for decent price.

Thanks gents for all the help and feedback, Sukhoi I'll be messaging you.

When I sent my M4 to Robar, I had an M80 included as part of the package. They sent the M80 back unaltered as they said the rails were unable to be removed and the rest would not survive the plating. I take their word for it, but I also have an email in to Surefire to see if they could confirm

Sukhoi_fan, I'll take you up on that offer. Once I get off of work I'll pm you so we can work out the details, thanks. I saw the Promag forend however I couldn't for the life of me find it being sold alone cause I haven't no need for the stock.

The M80 was not appealing to me simply because of the bulk of it all. However I had hoped the side rails could have been removed. Also I'd say its price was a deterrent.

I was thinking of getting an ATI forend and modifying it since its in one piece. I may still get it when I see one on EBAY or somewhere else for decent price.

Thanks gents for all the help and feedback, Sukhoi I'll be messaging you.

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding the pro mag, a quick google search shows that it can be bought with a pro mag collapsible stock. How does the pro mag stock compare to OEM?

How does a Yugo compare to a Ferrari? That's about the same as the promag and the OEM. They will both get you to where you want to go but... I didn't used to think so until I changed my promag for the Benelli OEM. There is an obvious quality difference. If you can only do the promag it will work but I would save the money and just get the OEM (extra 922r compliance issues and all).

I'd put OEM internals into the Promag stock. Mainly the pins and the unlock button. You can source the parts from places like Numrich Arms.

One certainly could do that.

The promag recoil pad is somewhat harder than the benelli pad but it does say "promag" on it which could help one argue compliance (although there is still some question as to whether or not the promag stock actually fits the letter of the law for 922r compliance). I am not recoil sensitive at all and did not notice the difference in pad hardness myself but it did make a difference for my wife and kids. The finish quality on the promag is not, imho, very compatible with the rest of the firearm. I tolerated it at first but the shiny stock was a bit odd. Once I switched back to the OEM unit, it was very evident in the quality of the finish... so add a can of matte spray paint to the list and some fine sandpaper or primer...

The parts you would need are essentially 2 retaining pins, a button spring which each cost about $9.00, and the button which is about $32.00. So, total of $41 in small parts and the promag stock and you have it.

retaining pin: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1439710.htm

button spring: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1439720.htm

button: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1439730.htm

retaining pin #2: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1439650.htm

Edited by RoadDad
parts links added