Choke

crowhunter

The choke manufacturer might be able to give you some guidance, but in general, I would agree with dblcluck. Remington's web sight mentions full chokes for buckshot. Mossberg's web site says that extra full turkey chokes are NOT recommended for buckshot. At the very least, if you are talking about lead, you would probably end up with deformed pellets that would fly wild and blow your pattern. With steel and Hevishot, I think you would eventually get damage (if not on the first shot), and the damage could be to the barrel, not just the choke. If you have a safe place to do it, pattern your gun with the buckshot load you want to use at the distance you expect to shoot starting with more open chokes and moving up until you get the pattern you need (and of course, don't go beyond the manufacture's recommendations for maximum choke constriction with buckshot. Might want to try calling Briley(http://www.briley.com). They could at least give you recommendations for their chokes.

Crowhunter,

Just curious, are you having trouble with patterns using buckshot?? I have a SBEII and have been trying everything to get a good pattern with buckshot , I tried Patternmaster , 2 differn't Kicks tubes and all of the factory tubes that came with the gun. So far the best pattern I have been able to get is from the Stock IC chocke tube believe it or not. in my gun atleast , the tighter the choke tube the worse the pattern . I would be interested to hear how yours patterns

Originally posted by RBDIII:

Crowhunter,

Just curious, are you having trouble with patterns using buckshot?? I have a SBEII and have been trying everything to get a good pattern with buckshot , I tried Patternmaster , 2 differn't Kicks tubes and all of the factory tubes that came with the gun. So far the best pattern I have been able to get is from the Stock IC chocke tube believe it or not. in my gun atleast , the tighter the choke tube the worse the pattern . I would be interested to hear how yours patterns

Can not speak for #4 buck but I can for HeviShot B. Both Remington and Undertaker HS choke diameters are .675 for 12ga. in an extended choke tube. Cabelas Super Full rated for HeviShot is .660, patterns well at 60yds with 2's and B's. A standard full is .700 though it's not usually used in an extended choke. I shot over 100 rounds of HeviShot through my SBE internal Full choke before going to a tighter constriction with no problems. Choke requirements for HeviShot are not the same as steel. Be Safe

[ 01-05-2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: osceola ]