A disappointing outing with my new M4.

6camaro9

I was so excited to go shoot my M4 after drooling for one for many years. I took a box of Winchester #6, Spartan #00, and about 5 Winchester 1oz slugs. I was never to get the gun to shoot more than a couple of shots in a row. A lot of my issues was FTF and when it did fire I get FTE. I even resulted in loading one shell at a time with no improvement. I don't know if I need more of breakin period, different ammo, or if something is wrong with my M4. If I was depending this to defend my home I'd be in a whole mess of trouble, guess I could've use it as a club. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,Thomas...

thanks for all the suggestions but i think i may have found my problem.

i've disassemble the M4 and notice that one of the gas piston rod doesn't move like the other side.

i was able to hammer it out, then i took the rod that moves freely and put it in the side i had to hammer

out and it will go in but not move freely. then i tried the opposite the rod i had to hammer out into the tube

that move freely and it would not fit.

does this be my problem?

i guess my option is to call Benelli and see what they can do for me.

thanks,

thomas...

• 2 weeks later...

If the gun is new, make sure you wipe it clean, new guns sometimes have factory chips/turnings. Afterwards, drip it in oil.

If the gun was used, make sure you clean the gun, especially the two gas piston, the two rod should be able to freely move, screw it out and clean the piston rod tube like if you would cleaning 9mm/.45, lots of carbon builds up there, even more so than the main gun barrel.

When you said thta you had to hammer out the gas piston rod, is it dirty after you hammer it out? is it clean?

the gun is new. the gas piston rod was clean.

If its new, the piston rod should move freely as you described. Usually, when there is carbon buildup, it'll be difficult to remove the pistons. Make sure the pistons/piston rods are clean, and make sure both piston rods are able to traverse in either left or right slot.

If it doesn't do that, I suggest contacting customer service.

1st rule of a new firearm, take it apart to clean and lube the snot out of it.

2nd rules of a new firearm, take it apart to clean and lube the not out of it.

3rd rule of a new firearm, take it out and shoot heavy loads in it then clean and lube it.

Seriously though the rod should move freely. If you still have issues contact benelli because that is not right.

1st rule of a new firearm, take it apart to clean and lube the snot out of it.2nd rules of a new firearm, take it apart to clean and lube the not out of it.3rd rule of a new firearm, take it out and shoot heavy loads in it then clean and lube it.Seriously though the rod should move freely. If you still have issues contact benelli because that is not right.
I did contact Benelli and my M4 is on its way back to them to get fixed.

update: got my M4 back from Benelli. The note in the return box said, that one has tube had a flat spot so the gas piston rod couldn't slide freely. so they replaced the barrel. can't wait to go out to shoot it.

Thank you for the quick update.

Could the tube have had a flat spot from rough handling or being dropped at the factory during assembly? Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the quick update.

Could the tube have had a flat spot from rough handling or being dropped at the factory during assembly? Just curious.

Not sure how it got damage but I will check those piston rods if I ever by another M4.

I finally had a chance to run my M4 with bird shot and semi-rapid fire over the weekend.

Not a single hiccup, and this was with multiple shooters.

I had probably put 100-150 rounds (all slug and 00-Buck) prior to the weekend.

Best part is the range owner invited me back, so I'll be able to take photo's and videos next time.

I finally had a chance to run my M4 with bird shot and semi-rapid fire over the weekend.

Not a single hiccup, and this was with multiple shooters.

I had probably put 100-150 rounds (all slug and 00-Buck) prior to the weekend.

Best part is the range owner invited me back, so I'll be able to take photo's and videos next time.

i'm jealous...

what part of Texas are you located?

thanks...

i used the Benelli oil that came with the M4, is that wrong? is there something better?

thanks...

Oh boy, this is going to be fun. Everybody hold up while I go make a batch of popcorn. :p

Camaro, just a little teaser: According to the interwebz, the best gun oil is -

WD 40

3-in-one

Militec

Slip

Frog Lube

M-Pro

Rem Oil

Hoppe's

Break Free

Tetra Gun Grease

Automatic transmission fluid

(name of your choice) Motor Oil

Graphite Powder

STP

Ballistol

EEZOX

TW-25B

Sentry

Oh yeah, according to the Interwebz, each of the entries above sucks. _______ is lots better!

I have always used remington oil on the surfaces of all my guns but use Tetra gun grease on my rails for metal on metal and polymer to metal contact.

I can't remember where I heard this but in order to improve the reliability of the M4 you need to polish and lube the inside of the receiver extention tube. Is this correct? Would it help or harm the operation?