benelli collapsible stock

ohbejuan

They are hex on top of the stock. I left it with my SOT/FFL as it is coming with an SBS (some 4 months down the road). I'm thinking I might just pick up another one here on the board and sell the rusty one off later at a discount (maybe even order replacement screws). Both of the parts were loose in the box with no plastic or other cardboard and it looked like the stock had been attached at least once. The grip was covered in some sort of fibers. I really don't like paying $250 for a rusty item, who knows what else is wrong with the thing.

*note: I did NOT buy my stock from anyone here on the forum*

That is odd that Numrich's M4 schematic shows phillips screws but the adjustable one I bought is hex?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1439700.htm

Not odd, the c-stock that came on my m1014 was one style and a later c-stock was the other style fastener head (I don't recall now which was which), so at some point the change was made. Perhaps some other forum member can provide more background. SD?

Good info 12508. This is one of the inline upgrades that occurred at some point with Benelli. I believe the original M4 produced for the Marine Corps was issued with the philips head fasteners. I know Botach at some point sourced a bunch of these older model collapsible stocks. Most who bought them were reporting that they came with a free sample of Iraqi/Afghanistan dirt in them.

I've noted a lot of military gear is moving away from philips fasteners. One of the big reasons is to keep grunts from taking things apart that they shouldn't. Hexhead screws are certainly better. You can apply a proper torque load with less chance of stripping out the fastener. This is assuming you know how to properly seat the hexhead tool into the bit. This may seem like common sense, but I have found many do not ensure that the tool is seated fully to the bottom of the fastener. The more tool you have into the fastener, the larger the area that the torque load is spread. This reduces the chance of ovaling out the hole.

Fastener quality isn't always known either. If you've ever spent a lot of time at a place like McMaster-Carr, you know that there is a wide range in quality and treatments available. I have tried sourcing some of the small parts for the Benelli at these kind of sites. They are difficult or impossible to find. Or you'll have to find a European source. An example of this would be the top rail fasteners for the M4.

What I would do is call Benelli and tell them about the issue. Chances are they may send you three replacements. That way you don't get stuck paying over 30 dollars for three fasteners. I imagine the hexhead and the philips bits are threaded the same. Just be careful not to lose the lock washers beneath each fastener.

Good info 12508. This is one of the inline upgrades that occurred at some point with Benelli. I believe the original M4 produced for the Marine Corps was issued with the philips head fasteners. I know Botach at some point sourced a bunch of these older model collapsible stocks. Most who bought them were reporting that they came with a free sample of Iraqi/Afghanistan dirt in them.

I've noted a lot of military gear is moving away from philips fasteners. One of the big reasons is to keep grunts from taking things apart that they shouldn't. Hexhead screws are certainly better. You can apply a proper torque load with less chance of stripping out the fastener. This is assuming you know how to properly seat the hexhead tool into the bit. This may seem like common sense, but I have found many do not ensure that the tool is seated fully to the bottom of the fastener. The more tool you have into the fastener, the larger the area that the torque load is spread. This reduces the chance of ovaling out the hole.

Fastener quality isn't always known either. If you've ever spent a lot of time at a place like McMaster-Carr, you know that there is a wide range in quality and treatments available. I have tried sourcing some of the small parts for the Benelli at these kind of sites. They are difficult or impossible to find. Or you'll have to find a European source. An example of this would be the top rail fasteners for the M4.

What I would do is call Benelli and tell them about the issue. Chances are they may send you three replacements. That way you don't get stuck paying over 30 dollars for three fasteners. I imagine the hexhead and the philips bits are threaded the same. Just be careful not to lose the lock washers beneath each fastener.

Last time I talked to benelli, they said flat out,they do not do parts. Is there anywhere to get replacement hex screws, or anyone know the length and thread pitch?

I'm wondering if there are any other metal parts in the assembly that could be rusted/damaged as well

Just take one of the phillips and go to lowes or home depot and see if you can find a hex replacement on the fastener aisle.

Most have a fixture to thread your existing fastener into to find the pitch.

Might be worth a try.

I pulled the fastener and took some measurements. The allen head units are YSF 010.9 rated, overall length is 22mm. Head diameter is 7.77mm. Thread pitch is a metric 0.7mm coarse pitch. This is as close as I could find to it:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=3l1xcqryszialeogs4

Will they fit? I can't say for certain. I'm certain the threads will match and the length should be appropriate. What I am uncertain about is the bottom profile of the fastener where it mates with the lock washer.

As for more damage to the stock, the screws that hold the rubber butt pad could be rusting. The problem is you'll have a difficult time removing the screws from the buttpad in order to replace them. I tried a few times to get them out and gave up. They'd be difficult to remove without damaging the buttpad.

There are a few steel pins inside the stock that engage the notches on the receiver extension. The unlock button itself is also steel. The rest is aluminum and plastic.

I pulled the fastener and took some measurements. The allen head units are YSF 010.9 rated, overall length is 22mm. Head diameter is 7.77mm. Thread pitch is a metric 0.7mm coarse pitch. This is as close as I could find to it:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=3l1xcqryszialeogs4

Will they fit? I can't say for certain. I'm certain the threads will match and the length should be appropriate. What I am uncertain about is the bottom profile of the fastener where it mates with the lock washer.

As for more damage to the stock, the screws that hold the rubber butt pad could be rusting. The problem is you'll have a difficult time removing the screws from the buttpad in order to replace them. I tried a few times to get them out and gave up. They'd be difficult to remove without damaging the buttpad.

There are a few steel pins inside the stock that engage the notches on the receiver extension. The unlock button itself is also steel. The rest is aluminum and plastic.

Awesome info SD, thank you!

I may just be better off selling it to someone less discerning than I am for a discount and buying new for myself

• 2 months later...