Question re selling an M4, compliance issue

jantonio54

Probably cheaper to buy the necessary 922 trigger group parts. You're looking at maybe a $200 investment max to do that.

Geissele hammer, fft trigger, fft disconnector and you're pretty much there.

If you try to get a factory tube, it's pricey. If you sell it without a tube, you take a big hit. No reason to get rid of a perfectly good CC tube for $1. That thing has a loooong wait right now.

I get playing it safe with regard to firearms and federal law, however I really don't think selling the gun in its current configuration would be an issue. Let me cite the somewhat recent situation Benelli had with the first run of M4 H2Os. A few thousand people bought those before the ATF said 'nope, not compliant' and Benelli had to change their production to include Yankee parts. The lucky ones who got the non-compliant guns didn't have to switch out parts or trade in for a slightly different model. This is because 922r is about assembly, not possession. A notarized affidavit starting the exact condition of the gun (all Italian except the full length tube) at the time of the sale would be enough for a buyer to prove he didn't assemble the gun into a non-compliant configuration. I don't think your idea of selling is bad, and like i said earlier, better safe than sorry. You could always ask ATF, they are actually pretty good about answering questions so long as you're willing to wait for the response. Sorry for the loss of your buddy, and good luck with your sales.

I get playing it safe with regard to firearms and federal law, however I really don't think selling the gun in its current configuration would be an issue. Let me cite the somewhat recent situation Benelli had with the first run of M4 H2Os. A few thousand people bought those before the ATF said 'nope, not compliant' and Benelli had to change their production to include Yankee parts. The lucky ones who got the non-compliant guns didn't have to switch out parts or trade in for a slightly different model. This is because 922r is about assembly, not possession. A notarized affidavit starting the exact condition of the gun (all Italian except the full length tube) at the time of the sale would be enough for a buyer to prove he didn't assemble the gun into a non-compliant configuration. I don't think your idea of selling is bad, and like i said earlier, better safe than sorry. You could always ask ATF, they are actually pretty good about answering questions so long as you're willing to wait for the response. Sorry for the loss of your buddy, and good luck with your sales.

What a great and helpful response. Thank you.

You're welcome. On another note, assuming this gun doesn't have a collapsible stock, you are likely only one part away from being compliant since the cc tube comes with a US made follower. You can pick up a FFT disconnector for $35. Installation is simple, then you could sell the compliant shotgun for $1500, possibly more. It would be an easier sell that way I think.