rifled chokes for skeet

ejm20

The review for the Supersport mentioned using a rifled/diffusion choke tube to get a bit wider pattern for skeet....mainly for station 8. Has anyone tried these? Do they work or do they make the pattern so wide for any other station that you get a bunch of holes in the pattern? There tends to be alot of wind at the range and the targets bounce alot so its very easy to shoot under or over it. Perhaps the spreader would be a plus?

no responses so did some research and heres what I found out, there are actually 2 main flavors of these type of specialty chokes.

The Helix chokes come in various Constrictions and they are designed to open the core of the pattern to make it more evenly distributed within the overall pattern but its not considered a spreader choke. However you can select a choke that is wider than the standard Benelli cylinder choke on either of these style chokes

The other type of tubes are Diffusion. Which available typically in a skeet choke which also has rifling. The Diffusion chokes are designed to throw a pattern that is wider than cylinder, but still keep a good pattern that does not fall apart and look like a cheap peperoni pizza. :^)

After alot of back and forth since these chokes are slightly different but the same, I decided to go with the Helix with a cylinder choke. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will perform as expected. I can update this thread if theres any interest

I think I'd be more concerned about pattern development. At 8 the most you could buy would be a couple of inches of pattern. Head to the patterning board and see what you get at 11 yards. I think you'll be surprised at how little difference there is at these short distances.