Delighted new owner

OldMadBrit

I spent yesterday afternoon setting up my 30-06 R1 with a Leupold 3-9 x40 scope and sighting it in.

I shot 2 boxed of Fiocchi 168 grain boat tail. I used the first box getting used to the rifle and the next 10 sighting in at 50yds.

Then I put 7 rounds through the same hole in the center of the bullseye!!!

Zero malfunctions and much better accuracy than expected. I am also very impressed with the trigger. After reading all the complaints about the trigger action - I must say that I really don't understand them.

I love this thing!

The RSO at my range had never seen an R1 before and was amazed at its accuracy.

Off to the 100 and 200yd ranges to fine tune it.

Just put another 100 rounds through it. I tried slow (ie a couple of minutes between shots) and shooting about every second and saw no evidence of stringing as the barrel heated up. Its a delight to shoot and far more accurate than I expected.

I feel that the cryo treatment of the R1 barrels is one of, if not the best feature of these rifles. I've shot a lot of different large bore rifles, and none of them can be shot multiple times in succession without at least some loss in accuracy due to barrel heat. Except the R1 of course. I see that there are now companies that will cryo treat rifle barrels for customers. I might get a couple bolt actions treated to see if there's a difference.

Agreed, I spent several years working in high tech metallurgy, cryo treatment is a major benefit. I'm also not convinced that heavy "bull barrels" have any real world benefit. A well engineered thin wall barrel can achieve stable heat-up on the first round. 3D computational thermodynamics make it possible to design for scenarios that were unthinkable just 20 year ago. I know this is sacrilege but Italian engineers deal in reality while Colt sells us tradition. I'm a biker so for me its Ducati v HD. One wins races, while the other needs an F150 to carry it home.