Which mag tube for M4 H2O? - FFT vs Carrier Comp

Philomega15

I'm interested in upgrading my stock tube on my Benelli M4 H2O. I've been looking at the FFT steel full-length tube with NP3 finish and the Carrier Comp tube in muted titanium. I've only heard great things about both companies and am weighing my decisions. Anyone have pics of their M4 H2O with either tube so I can compare?

The Carriercomp muted finish is close but not exactly the same as the NP3 finish. The Freedom Fighter Tactical NP3 finished magazine tubes are their steel variant, so you won't get the weight savings that the titanium tubes offer over OEM.

Another issue is, batches of NP3 vary from one to another. Most won't care about the slight difference unless you're seriously OCD, but it is one nonetheless.

Another option is to take the Carriercomp tube and have it coated in NP3. I'm doing that currently for a client. Robar says the NP3 doesn't adhere to titanium, but I know several people who have done it successfully. A nice NP3 finish on the inside of the magazine tube is going to sound and feel quite nice compared to the scratching sound of steel wire spring on the inside of a tube.

IMG_01011_zpsby4cp7ib.jpg

This picture compares a muted finish carriercomp magazine tube to a stock that I had coated in NP3.

If you don't want to do a coating, I'd still go Carriercomp muted finish all day long.

Edited by StrangerDanger

• 5 years later...
On 1/8/2016 at 5:12 PM, StrangerDanger said:

The Carriercomp muted finish is close but not exactly the same as the NP3 finish. The Freedom Fighter Tactical NP3 finished magazine tubes are their steel variant, so you won't get the weight savings that the titanium tubes offer over OEM.

Another issue is, batches of NP3 vary from one to another. Most won't care about the slight difference unless you're seriously OCD, but it is one nonetheless.

Another option is to take the Carriercomp tube and have it coated in NP3. I'm doing that currently for a client. Robar says the NP3 doesn't adhere to titanium, but I know several people who have done it successfully. A nice NP3 finish on the inside of the magazine tube is going to sound and feel quite nice compared to the scratching sound of steel wire spring on the inside of a tube.

IMG_01011_zpsby4cp7ib.jpg

This picture compares a muted finish carriercomp magazine tube to a stock that I had coated in NP3.

If you don't want to do a coating, I'd still go Carriercomp muted finish all day long.

What is the verdict on the NP3 coating over the CompCarrier Ti Muted Tube? I am debating which direction to go for a 7-round tube for my H20. 

Just now, fatbiker852 said:

What is the verdict on the NP3 coating over the CompCarrier Ti Muted Tube? I am debating which direction to go for a 7-round tube for my H20. 

It comes down to the weight you want. The titanium magazine tubes are going to weigh in around 5.5 ounces. The steel tubes are going to be about 8 - 10 ounces. The value of the NP3 on the magazine tube is mostly cosmetic. I haven't noticed much benefit from having a plated magazine tube. Carriercomp has a muted finish that is pretty close to the NP3 finish.

Another option is to do the Briley carbon fiber magazine tube that matches quite well. It's also lighter than the titanium tubes.

15 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

It comes down to the weight you want. The titanium magazine tubes are going to weigh in around 5.5 ounces. The steel tubes are going to be about 8 - 10 ounces. The value of the NP3 on the magazine tube is mostly cosmetic. I haven't noticed much benefit from having a plated magazine tube. Carriercomp has a muted finish that is pretty close to the NP3 finish.

Another option is to do the Briley carbon fiber magazine tube that matches quite well. It's also lighter than the titanium tubes.

I have not considered the Carbon Fiber tube by Briley. Definitely another option to seriously consider. If I knew the FFT NP3 finish would match my H20 I would probably just go that route. However, I know the colors vary from batch-to-batch. So if it wouldn't match Id then rather have the CarrierComp version for Titanium (corrosion resistance) and reduced weight. Which match best in your experiences? Any issues with the NP3 coating on the FFT tubes? 

It'll depend on if you have a NP3 or a Cerakote H20. The NP3 FFT tube will match pretty damn close to a real deal NP3 M4. The match will be in the ballpark if you have a Cerakote model. I think you have a lot better options available than going with the steel FFT tube with the NP3 finish. The NP3 finish is pretty resilient from damage, but you could scuff it if you tried. The main benefit of NP3 is it is a nickel finish with embedded teflon which permanently lubricates the components.

If picking a titanium model, I'd go with the muted finish carriercomp model.

The carbon fiber ones look good on the H2O in my opinion. It is also the lightest option out there.

yhOUNAZ.jpg?1