New Sights and safety M4 and something unexpected...

les_garten

Here are my new sights I am putting in.

XS Sights Big Dot - No Tritium (Not a Tritium Fan)

LPA Fiberoptic REAR

and an XRAIL oversized safety

I was surprised that they may have changed the paint markings on the safety. I thought I would have to strip it and repaint because every pic I had seen was garish!

This is very subdued and I'll leave it as it is. Should work out perfectly

P1040665.jpg

I trim 1 to 1.5 coils off the safety spring to make it a lot easier to disengage with your trigger finger. I don't care for the OEM safety either. I like the DMW safety a little more than the TTI one. I'm not really sure why though.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I liked the looks of the Dave's one too. Had it been "red" marked I would have got one of those possibly.

I trim 1 to 1.5 coils off the safety spring to make it a lot easier to disengage with your trigger finger. I don't care for the OEM safety either. I like the DMW safety a little more than the TTI one. I'm not really sure why though.

Speaking of coil cutting...

On a Magazine spring, there is a stacked coil end and an open coil end.

Is there a preference for which end goes where and which end to cut coils from?

• 10 months later...
Here are my new sights I am putting in.

XS Sights Big Dot - No Tritium (Not a Tritium Fan)

LPA Fiberoptic REAR

and an XRAIL oversized safety

I was surprised that they may have changed the paint markings on the safety. I thought I would have to strip it and repaint because every pic I had seen was garish!

This is very subdued and I'll leave it as it is. Should work out perfectly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2968[/ATTACH]

I presume this rear sight just installs the same way as Meprolites, etc. being as it's also made by LPA, or did it require a custom pitch thread/replacement screw/other weirdness?

I presume this rear sight just installs the same way as Meprolites, etc. being as it's also made by LPA, or did it require a custom pitch thread/replacement screw/other weirdness?

It came with the screw, but it is the same spec screw that the stock one used.

I like the sight a lot.

They need just a smidgen of light to work. Work very well with a front mounted Flashlight and nothing else.

In a room with no light, they will pick up any small amount of light from an adjacent room.

Edited by les_garten

What did you end up thinking of the safety? I'm using a TTI model in mine, and feel that it's actually a lot stiffer than the stock item. How did the XRAIL one work out for you?

Hi,

Haven't got around to the safety yet.

Unfortunately not an easy slip in, so might take a bit for it.

Of the DMW/TTI/XRAIL I've tested, I personally like the DMW the best. The TTI is similiar to the newest generation of DMW buttons.

Obviously, personal preference and all. I like the safety to bump into my trigger finger only when the safety is engaged. Then with a modified spring weight, you can disengage the safety easily with your trigger finger without breaking your firing grip.