922R

SHARP1983

I've looked and can't seem to find the answer I need so please don't flip out if its been asked before. I'm running a Benelli M4 with all OEM parts along with a OEM 7rd mag tube and OEM collapsible stock. How many parts do I need too swap to become 922r compliant?

4 USA Parts

Your Mag tube ain't helpin' ya

Lots of threads here with the parts that need replacing. Not sure how you looked and missed them.

Go to freedom fighter tactical. They sell all the parts and have 922r info

Edited by les_garten

What was the question you asked them?

Give me a parts list for the M4. I saw two letters posted and they were different, so I wanted a letter from BATFE in case anyone had questions.

FWIW- The letter posted on the Freedom Fighter Tactical web page is good, as my Lawyer says it establishes precedent.

I'll post my letter as a sticky next week when I get back.

Give me a parts list for the M4. I saw two letters posted and they were different, so I wanted a letter from BATFE in case anyone had questions.

FWIW- The letter posted on the Freedom Fighter Tactical web page is good, as my Lawyer says it establishes precedent.

I'll post my letter as a sticky next week when I get back.

Ahhh, ok.

I have 5 Long Guns that come under 922r law.

You won't come up with anything better than the FFT stuff above. It is a perfectly Laid out roadmap and accurate to the law.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the letter I received from the BATFE

The first part is generic in nature:

This is in reference to your inquiry to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB), concerning the lawfulness, based on the amended Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. § 922®, of increasing the magazine capacity on a Benelli M4 shotgun or replacing the fixed shoulder stock with a Benelli “telescoping stock assembly”; further, you ask FTISB to confirm the additional number of U.S.-made parts needed to satisfy compliance under §922®.

The GCA, § 922®, prohibits assembly of certain semiautomatic rifles and shotguns from imported parts. Also, the implementing regulations contained in 27 CFR § 478.39 include the stipulation that "no person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of certain imported parts, if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

These parts are as follows:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or castings.

(2) Barrels.

(3) Barrel extensions.

(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions).

(5) Muzzle attachments.

(6) Bolts.

(7) Bolt carriers.

(8) Operating rods.

(9) Gas pistons.

(10) Trigger housings.

(11) Triggers.

(12) Hammers.

(13) Sears.

(14) Disconnectors.

(15) Buttstocks.

(16) Pistol grips.

(17) Forearms, handguards.

(18) Magazine bodies.

(19) Followers.

(20) Floor plates.

The second part pertains to the M4:

To illustrate the application of these restrictions, a shotgun having a magazine capacity of more than five shells is prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) since it fails to meet sporting firearms criteria. Therefore, it is a violation of § 922® to assemble such a shotgun from more than 10 of the imported parts specified in § 478.39. However, assembly of certain semiautomatic rifles or shotguns using 10 or fewer of these imported parts is not prohibited under this section.

With regard to extending the magazine capacity, in order to qualify as a U.S. replacement part, the entire magazine tube would have to be replaced. A U.S.-made magazine extension would not count as a replacement part.

Note, that when equipped with the standard buttstock or the fixed pistol-grip buttstock assembly (see enclosed diagram), the Benelli M4 shotgun contains the following parts from the list presented above:

1. Receiver.

2. Barrel.

3. Bolt.

4. Bolt carrier.

5. Gas piston(s).

6. Trigger housing.

7. Trigger.

8. Hammer.

9. Disconnector.

10. Buttstock.

11. Forearm(s).

12. Magazine body.