Legacy stock-to-receiver fit

Johnbe

The fit between the stock and receiver is flush on most of my rifles and shotguns. The exception to this is my Benelli Legacy shotgun. The stock periphery is larger than the periphery of the receiver. At first, I thought this might be a design or manufacturing discrepancy, but I'm thinking that it might have been designed to be that way intentionally. Does anyone have any comments or explanation for this condition?

No, there should not be a gap. If the gun is a newer one, there should be 2 plastic shims between the stock and receiver. One drop shim and one cast shim. If this is a replacement stock then you might have gotten the wrong one. Like a 12ga stock on a 20ga receiver. 12's are wider than 20's. Could be an old style stock trying to fit on a newer style gun. Pics would help.

IMG_2194.jpg

Thanks for the reply. The fit I'm talking about is not a gap. It is a mismatch between the circumferences of the end of the receiver and the end of the stock. The pic I've attached shows the drop shim in place between the stock and the receiver, but it's apparent the periphery (circumference) of the stock doesn't match the receiver. The stock is larger. I thought there might be a reason for that other than a design issue.

I thought perhaps it was intentional. I just couldn't believe that a high-end company like Benelli would allow such a fit, either designed or manufactured. I have over 20 long guns in my safe, both rifles and shotguns of various vintages. This is the only one with such a high degree of misfit. Other than that, it's a wonderful gun. I didn't pay a fortune for it, so I'll just, as you say, "chalk it up..." and enjoy it. Thanks again.

• 4 years later...