Cartridge Drop Lever

Johnbe

My new Legacy is my first Benelli shotgun. I was a bit surprised that the loading operation involved a cartridge drop lever. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but at this point, it feels like an extra operation I need to learn that was not needed on other auto-loaders I've owned.

I grew up shooting a Browning A5 from the age of 9. I got my first Benelli in 1991 at the age of 39. It took me about five minutes to figure out the different manual-of-arms for the Benelli. It's second nature now and I've never looked back. You'll get over it.

Just keep in mind that a shell does not come out of the magazine tube unless the hammer falls or the drop lever is pressed. You will be used to it in no time.

The drop lever design comes in real handy when you want substitute a shell in the chamber (swap a in shell with larger shot, slug, etc). Just pull back the bolt, eject a shell an insert a shell in to the chamber. The shells in the mag tube never move.