Benelli supersport performance shop, ez bolt release, easy sheering

ning1986

I was wondering if anyone else have this issue before (see attached picture).

I was shooting 5 stand with my friends today when I realized that my bolt release was gone, only to find it was on the floor. It appears that the bolt release was sheered off on the inside (poor quality??) I don't remember bumping into anything.

Have anyone have this issue? I'd imagine when I pay for a fairly expensive shotgun, I get quality in return...

P.S. not to mention that the bolt handle from briley was unscrewing, so I had to put loctite on the threads.

P.S.S same thing goes for the mid bead unscrewing, also loctite on it...

was someone on the quality team falling asleep??

20160327_143200.jpg

20160327_143208.jpg

20160327_143302.jpg

Edited by ning1986

Sucks. Particularly on such a beautiful shotgun. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to dislodge the button from the body of the shell latch. They're welded in place or press fit or something...

These larger buttons exert more stress on the components than the factory post was designed to handle. Most of the aftermarket shell stops take OEM shell stops and modify them for their buttons to fit. So nothing is really beefed up. I did this to a GG&G shell stop for a M4.

I contacted GG&G and they replaced the part for me. Perhaps Briley will do the same?

The button on the carrier latch is a press-fit. Looks like yours wasn't completely pressed in. They're probably put together by an assembly line machine and sometimes things don't go together exactly right. I've had a couple that would rotate but never had one break completely off like that. As much as it sucks, sometimes things, even new ones, break. I'd say that's a Benelli issue rather than Briley. I'd give Benelli a call. They may send you a new latch or they may request you send the receiver in.

Do you guys know if the latch mechanism is similar to that of GG&G bolt release button? I've installed the aftermarket one for my M4, and it was easy. If the mechanism is similar, then installing this on the supersport would be easy as well.

I've already called Benelli, and they kept stressing that the entire gun needs to be send back. I'm really not looking forward to doing this, as it takes time, and replacing the part is something that I've done before anyway. I just don't understand why they couldn't sent the replacement part...

Briley should not drill all the way through the release button when installing the oversize tab. While tapping a through hole is easier/quicker than tapping a blind hole the though hole weakens the press fit area of the part. (I know that does not help your immediate situation - but if you start over with a non-drill & tapped bolt release it is something to keep in mind)

Do you guys know if the latch mechanism is similar to that of GG&G bolt release button? I've installed the aftermarket one for my M4, and it was easy. If the mechanism is similar, then installing this on the supersport would be easy as well.

GGG and Briley use the OEM benelli latch. They just drill/tap it and install their oversized button. Personally, I prefer the Nordic button. It's round and less likely to spin the underlying knob if bumped. The only issue is that you have to do your own d/t. It's easy to do if you have a small drill press.

Just an update. It took me two phone calls to Benelli customer support explaining the situation. I also explained to them that even though I'm not a gun smith, changing bolt release lever and the bolt release button is something that I've done before (on my M4) and that it is not difficult. The first representative is reluctant to send the replacement units, and ask me to send the entire gun in. I'm not willing to do that as it takes time, and headache. The second customer support rep, after seeing the disassembled parts, agreed to ship the replacement part over. Maybe I'll receive it in two weeks.

Really great looking setup. I especially like the RED charging handle.

I am in the market for a new handle for my M1 and can't decide what one to go with. I have Nordic components on it now and have thought of getting the BFB Handle that they sell, but I like a bit of color every now and again too. I wouldn't mind a stainless finished one or even something like the one you have.

How has it worked out for you? Do you have any complaints at all on the bolt handle? That is a Briley charging handle isn't it? If not, please let me know what it is as I'd like to look into getting one.

Thanks

Nalajr

Yes,

That is a Briley charging handle, it came with the Supersport Performance shop version. One thing that I did not mention about this charging handle is that the red part is a screw in piece. And during shooting, this also become loose. I used blue loctite on it to hold it in place, and it appears to work so far. But I'm disappointing in the quality of the parts, especially for a 2.8k gun... The charging handle coming loose is a easy fix that I didn't bother to post on this forum.

On a side note, for public knowledge, while the bolt for the Supersport and M4 (two guns that I have) look similar, they are NOT interchangeable. M4 uses the ARGO system while Supersport (and majority of Benelli shotguns) uses Inertia Driven system. The inner mechanism for the is also different.

Really great looking setup. I especially like the RED charging handle.

I am in the market for a new handle for my M1 and can't decide what one to go with. I have Nordic components on it now and have thought of getting the BFB Handle that they sell, but I like a bit of color every now and again too. I wouldn't mind a stainless finished one or even something like the one you have.

How has it worked out for you? Do you have any complaints at all on the bolt handle? That is a Briley charging handle isn't it? If not, please let me know what it is as I'd like to look into getting one.

Thanks

Nalajr

• 4 weeks later...

The button on the shell release is press fit, and as is it will last a lifetime.

When we start to put levers ect. on the button it puts a large amount of stress on the interface between the two parts

and it will not hold up. This happened to me on my Super Sport and I talked to Jim at Jag Arms and the problem was solved.

They micro tig welded the back of the button and it has held up wonderfully. I have had this done with my other Benelli's and

haven't had a problem.