SuperNova Misfiring

DCowan

I just received my SuperNova from being serviced for a misfiring issue where the firing pin strikes the primer too softly or not at all. I was not able to fire the shotgun since the middle of goose season. The notes from 5-2-16 said the gun was inspected and and firing properly and Benelli could not duplicate the issue. I doubt they tested my gun in the freezer so I was not surprised when I shot the gun yesterday (a 65 degree spring day in Kansas) but I have lost all trust using it in the field during the winter duck/goose season.

I know there remains an issue with my gun since there was no repair made. Early in the season my gun was firing fine however, In the middle of a goose hunt I started having misfires and the gun has not fired during a hunt since. I cleaned the entire gun and inspected the firing pin and everything looked fine so I took it out for another hunt and same issue, the gun would not fire. It may be in issue where the SuperNova just can't handle the cold but I bought a Benelli over other brands because I believed it was the best gun for all conditions. I had to watch my 3 hunting buddies blasting geese as I sat there praying that the gun wouldn't misfire but all I was hearing was click after click. The other guns (a couple different brands and a SBE) where having no issues firing.

This was only my second year using this gun that I bought brand new. I have lost all trust in my SuperNova and will not use the gun in the field anymore. I have read people having the same issue so I feel Benelli has to know about this problem with the SuperNova. I hope my story is helpful for people looking for a waterfowl gun, the SuperNova will simply not fire in the late season in my experiences.

Sorry to hear of your problems. A malfunctioning brand new gun is a miserable situation. Could you describe how you are lubricating your trigger pack? What brand of lubricant and so on.

I might even even try to create the problems by putting the trigger pack in the freezer and test how the hammer is falling. Some lubricants thicken up when it's cold. So they rob your hammer of its falling energy.

Personally i I do not run much lubricant on the trigger packs. I use grease on the sear contact points and maybe one drop around where the elevator linkage attaches to the trigger pack itself. Oh, and that same grease on the safety detent plunger.

Maid minimize the lubricant on the firing pin/spring as well.

The he only other potential issue is the round isn't fully chambered when the hammer falls.

I have the same gun i hunt in northern utah it get cold here i had the same problem but it wasnt doin it in the cold just tear it apart and get into the fireing pin and wipe it down you can tear it apart in the feild its not hard to do that fixed me problem for me

• Upvote 1

I'm a M1/M2 guy and don't shoot the Nova. However, your problem sounds suspiciously like the "Benelli Click" malady that vexes us semi-auto guys sometimes. More times than not, the issue comes down to the locking head not rotating completely into battery when the bolt goes forward. Looking at the schematics of the Nova bolt assembly, it appears that its locking head also rotates slightly to lock up the lugs into the barrel extension. The rotation is very slight but if it doesn't fully rotate the firing pin will not make contact with the primer. On the M1/M2 platforms, you can look at the position of the extractor to confirm complete rotation. If the locking head hasn't fully rotated, the extractor will be near the center of the ejection port. If the locking head has fully rotated, the extractor will be slightly above center of the ejection port.

Locking head NOT fully rotated: Note the position of the extractor

Benelli20Bolt201_zpsgpzededw.jpg~original

Locking head fully rotated:

Benelli%20Bolt%202_zpsglyfktgp.jpg~original

Again, this is only conjecture on my part. Unless you're greasing up the firing pin (DO NOT) that may be hindering

forward momentum when cold, it MAY be that you're not moving the forend forward with enough force to fully rotate the locking head. In other words, don't baby it. That's what some would do with their M1/M2 bolt; press the release button and ride the bolt home. In many cases, letting the bolt forward under the power of the recoil spring ended their "Benelli Click".

Something to consider, since nothing else has worked as of yet.

Edited by truckcop

• 2 years later...

I bought a SuperNova for my son to hunt with.

Friday we went duck hunting in Nebraska. It was 8°F and the gun would not fire. Pull the trigger - CLICK - no bang. Later in the day we tried it again for some trap shooting and it worked mostly fine, there was one click one time, otherwise it functioned as expected.

I have always shot Remington 870 Express Super Magnums and never had trouble until my really old one finally had a component break. I opted to spend a few hundred dollars more on what I thought was a nicer gun for my son to use - and I had only ever heard great things about Benelli shotguns.

It is tough to describe the level of disappointment to watch him try the new gun in the field and have it not work. Fortunately a friend had a spare shotgun we were able to let him borrow so he was able to hunt and he had a good time, but the entire experience with the Benelli was extremely frustrating. At this point I just want my money back and I'll buy an 870 for him to use.

Benelli support has replied to a Facebook Message I sent them, so it is encouraging that they are responding, but still a frustrating experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Super Nova and the same thing happened to me twice in the last two weeks of bitter cold weather here near Steamboat Springs.  I have had two misfires with the temperature around 0 degrees.  Also the Cartridge carrier malfunctioned yesterday when I was pumping another shell into the chamber to get rid of the misfire round.  Very frustrating.  My buddy was using an old 870 which worked flawlessly all morning.  I have never had a misfire with my other shotguns until I purchased the Benelli Super Nova.  I cleaned the gun last night, which is still clean because the gun is new.  I'll see what happens this weekend.  The Kent misfire from two weeks ago showed the primer was not hid hard enough. Yesterday's Federal Black Cloud load fell in the snow and I could not find it.  It is very embarrassing to have an old 870 show up my new Benelli.

• 1 year later...

15 year benelli nova owner here. I duck hunt hard fit 10 years straight. Only started misfiring when I used a Carlson's replacement barrel. I had to make sure my locking cap was screwed tight every few rounds. And sometimes when I get clicks I would have to reload my chamber and rack the next round hard. No clicks after hard racking. I rack hard shot after shot and it bangs every time. Make sure your barrel cap is tightened and you rack that shell in the chamber hard like your woman likes it. 

• 2 months later...

i lve in mississippi no freezing cold here. purchased the supernova with pistol grip last season. it misfired once last season and already twice this season. only misfires when there’s a gobbler in front of it. i suspect when sitting with gun on my knee for long periods of time, the slide comes back a little unknowingly rotating locking head slightly. three heartbreaks is enough for me, i have zero confidence in the benelli supernova now. 

Edited by Charlie Thomas
misspelled word

Opening day of turkey hunting for me in North Carolina. Have a beautiful bird walk out. Go to shoot him and CLICK. Buddy I was hunting with started busting up laughing saying I can’t believe you didn’t load your gun. I pump the gun half way and show him the shell in the chamber. Took every bit of me to not wrap the gun around a tree. Looking at this forum there is definitely something wrong with the locking mechanism or firing pin. By the way it was 65° so no the cold did not play a roll in this one. 

Edited by NCHunter40

• 1 month later...

Just had the supernova misfire with a gobbler in front of me at 40 yards... twice. Managed to give it a good pump without spooking the bird after the first one, but it got suspicious after the second. Heartbreaking.

• 6 months later...

Second time I have had a deer walk out and click 3 different rounds. Today it’s 33 outside in upstate ny first round had a small dimple the other two nothing. The first time this happened two years ago I was using Remington slugs sent the gun in they said nothing was wrong with it it was the ammo. I changed it to hornady American whitetail same thing happened today. I am very disappointed in the supernova shoots target loads fine but can’t seem to shoot a slug. Bought the gun brand new 4 years ago shot great the first year I take care of it clean it etc just not reliable at all I’m very frustrated 

DC90C6CC-D8AB-445A-87C8-0D6D545380A0.jpeg

I've had this exact same issue with other guns in the past. ALL of them were caused by either dirty firing pin channel or too much oil. I saved my brother-in-laws elk hunt one year on his Remington 700 by opening it up and drying the firing pin and putting it back together (not easy at 10 below zero without the bolt disassembly tool). Somewhat related, I have also bought a lot of shotguns from fellow waterfowlers that owned "jam-o-matics". All I did was dry them out (oil), clean them up real well, then use a dry spray lube instead. Shotguns with oiled mag tubes are the worse offenders, but other parts can and will have issues with thick viscosity oil in the bolt. A lot of the former owners of those guns ended up buying it back after they saw them working properly again.

I've got a lot of Benelli semi-automatics and other than having to not use 7/8oz loads in the 3.5" chambered guns, they have been great. I've had lemons from other manufacturers before and it sucks. Even more so when they don't fix it.

I just realized this topic is a couple years old. Hopefully the OP got his fixed and is out in the marsh hunting.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, Bd220 said:

Just had the supernova misfire with a gobbler in front of me at 40 yards... twice. Managed to give it a good pump without spooking the bird after the first one, but it got suspicious after the second. Heartbreaking.

Have you found a fix for this problem.  Mine did the same thing on Tuesday 

• 4 months later...

Buddy of mine has this gun, he was having the same problems. It is not the firing pin guys, its the locking lug. Stop pulling the pump back, and push forward. The gun has play in it, about an 1/8 inch which is why so many are getting the click and no dent on primer. check your own gun. Does the bolt separate when pulling back vs pushing forward? If so, push forward on the pump. If you're still having issues, take it to a gunsmith. Will post a fix for this when I can get my hands on his again so you won't have to worry about pulling vs pushing the pump while firing.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:41 PM, Kardan said:

Buddy of mine has this gun, he was having the same problems. It is not the firing pin guys, its the locking lug. Stop pulling the pump back, and push forward. The gun has play in it, about an 1/8 inch which is why so many are getting the click and no dent on primer. check your own gun. Does the bolt separate when pulling back vs pushing forward? If so, push forward on the pump. If you're still having issues, take it to a gunsmith. Will post a fix for this when I can get my hands on his again so you won't have to worry about pulling vs pushing the pump while firing.

I was able to replicate the OP’s issue by doing this. I had never had a malfunction with my SN Tac that wasn’t shooter induced

• 1 year later...

I went pheasant hunting for the first time yesterday, swore I put one in the action, two in the tube.  Flushed a bird, took aim and "click".  No boom.  I was so surprised, I just looked at the other guy and said I was 95% certain there was one in the action.  He said he was pretty sure he watched me put one in as well.

So I absolutely loaded one in action, two in the tube, and proceeded onward.  Flushed another, same "click".  I pumped it and it fired the second shot.  What the heck is that?  What is the fix for this?

I do not know why I can't have one in the action while hunting with the Supernova.  It seems to fire if you pump it, but will not if you are just walking around with one in the action.  If it cannot withstand the "jarring" motions of walking around in a field, then it is a piss poor statement of quality from the Benelli guys as far as I'm concerned.  I thought it would be better.

Wound up shooting the other guy's gun (which had no issues being walked about with) and we each got a pheasant.  With his gun.  Since mine wouldn't stay ready.