Midwest Industries Aimpoint T1/T2 Mount for M4

Vortec MAX

The OEM rail has 5 bolts to secure it to the receiver. From the web site's pics, it appears to have only 2 bolts to secure it? Let us know how it holds up over time. Thanks!

I received the mount yesterday, but I only had time to look it over. It does only have two mounting screws that attach it to the M4 receiver. I plan to have it mounted by the weekend so I can take it out and sight it in over the weekend. I will let you know what I think.

Mike

Instructions that came with the MI Aimpoint mount said to tighten the two screws that hold the mount to the receiver to 25 in-lbs. I was too squeamish to tighten them that much so I torqued them to 15 in-lbs with some blue Loctite. What are you guys torqueing the screws that go into the top of the receiver to?

Mike

thats higher than the factory torque settings for the OEM rail. They specify 16-18 inch pounds. I'd be okay with taking it to 25 with a good torque wrench. Do you use the factory washers with this rail?

I'd also use Locktite primer and the special blue 243 Loctite that adheres to aluminum/steel better than the regular 241.

Yes, I used the factory screws and washers. I just used 241, but I did degrease with rubbing alcohol and q-tips the best I could. Where did you find the factory spec on the torque? I looked in my manual but could not find it in there.

Thanks for the reply. I will be writing that torque spec down in my notes. I might also tighten those screws up to 18 in-lbs. I have a torque screwdriver set. I think it is called a Torque-Vario or something like that.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX

I think I got the specs from Benelliwerkes.

I wouldn't tighten them again unless you want to do the entire Loctite procedure again. Once it dries, you want to leave it alone, or you'll break the adhesion. You should be fine with the 241 and degreasing the fasteners.

What I'd do is get a silver Sharpie, and put a witness line on the fasteners across the screw head and onto the rail. Basically just a dot. This will give you a visual indicator to see if the screw is backing out. After a few outings, the Sharpie mark will wear/wipe away with the cleanings.

I use a Seekonk dial indicator torque wrench that fits all the magnabit attachments.

• 1 month later...

And one of the co-witness ability. I have to say... getting this photo was a real PITA. I bet I took 20 photos before I got this one.

One thing about this mount that is worth mentioning: The Tango Down rubber cover I had for the Aimpoint T-1 does not work with this mount. Neither does the factory "bikini" type cover. The bikini cover will go on, but will not seat over the lenses as it should due to the very tight space between the mount and the bottom of the lens housings.

MI_Mount_03.jpg

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX

Is there any way to trim the bikini cover?

And one of the co-witness ability. I have to say... getting this photo was a real PITA. I bet I took 20 photos before I got this one.

One thing about this mount that is worth mentioning: The Tango Down rubber cover I had for the Aimpoint T-1 does not work with this mount. Neither does the factory "bikini" type cover. The bikini cover will go on, but will not seat over the lenses as it should due to the very tight space between the mount and the bottom of the lens housings.

MI_Mount_03.JPG

Mike