Montefeltro magazine sticking

ejm20

Got a 20ga Montefeltro and the magazine tube gets jammed from time to time. When it happens and it does seem to be a bit chronic, you can load a shell or even push it back with your finger. I have been able to free it up by spaying some Break Free and letting it sit for a bit. It might just need a really good cleaning by taking the tube off as shown in the manual but am a little reluctant since its never been down and expect it to be like removing the sparkplugs on a new car that have been glued in, hopefully you know what I mean. I dont wont to damage the tube which would just make things worse. The main questions here are has anyone else experienced this? Will a cleaning actually fix the issue or is this just a quirk with this gun? Ive never seen this happen on any other auto. Taking it to a gunsmith is certainly an option.

You do not have to remove the magazine tube from the receiver to clean it. Just take the spring and follower out from the muzzle end and brush it and run patches through it like it was a barrel. Of course the trigger group needs to be removed when you do this.

Mike

The Monte's magazine tube is different from the M1/M2/etc. The forward end of the tube isn't open but contains the stud that the magazine cap screws onto. As I recall, that stud is a permanently affixed part of the tube and doesn't come out to allow the magazine spring and follower to come out that end. You'll have to remove the magazine tube from the receiver to do that. However:

When you say the magazine tube "gets jammed", exactly what do you mean? It's possible that the carrier latch, which acts as the shell stop/release, is not operating properly to allow the release of a shell from the magazine. If you have dummy rounds (NEVER use live ammo to function check a firearm unless checking live-fire on the range), load the magazine and see if you can replicate the malfunction. When you pull the trigger, a shell should drop down onto the carrier. If not, take a look to see if the latch is still retaining the shell in the magazine. If so, your issue may be the interface between the trigger group and the carrier latch rather than an issue with the magazine tube/spring/follower. It may just be a matter of taking the trigger group out, giving it a thorough cleaning and making sure it is reinstalled correctly. When the trigger group is out of the receiver, inspect the carrier latch inside the receiver. Make sure it moves back and forth freely. It's spring loaded so it should return to position when you release it. It's possible there is debris behind it that might be hindering its operation.

Edited by truckcop

Not a "feeding" problem, the plunger thats inside of the magazine that pushes the shell into the chamber when its cycled gets stuck so that you cannot load another shell into the magazine. You can even push it in with you finger. Hope this clarifies the issue

Then you'll have to take the magazine tube off the receiver to get the spring and "plunger" (follower) out for inspection. Do a search on the site. There are a number of threads on removing the magazine tube from the receiver. It'll take some heat to loosen the factory thread locker. A heat-gun is best for that job.

The Montefeltro magazine tube designs are indeed a piece of work. You do not need to remove the trigger group to remove the magazine, however two good reasons to do so:

1. It's easy to re-install it.

2. A heat source (typically heat gun) will be necessary to release the factory-applied loctite from the magazine tube threads; leaving the trigger group in place just acts as a heat-sink requiring more / longer heat to get the job done and unnecessarily heating up the entire receiver too much.

Photos by permission: Anatomy Series of Manuals - Benelli M1 / M2

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-10%20at%207.27.23%20AM_zps94ladcdf.pngScreen%20Shot%202016-07-10%20at%207.27.45%20AM_zpsvavjmilp.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Good pictures and stuff but why so overcomplicated on the reassembly? I've done countless Monte's and Legacy's but never anything like that. I can have one off, cleaned and back together in 10 minutes. Witness mark is not a good idea. The mag tube may be loose. Factory setting is that the mag tube be tightened until it stops.

Good pictures and stuff but why so overcomplicated on the reassembly? I've done countless Monte's and Legacy's but never anything like that. I can have one off, cleaned and back together in 10 minutes. Witness mark is not a good idea. The mag tube may be loose. Factory setting is that the mag tube be tightened until it stops.

Agree if it's loose, then obviously skip the heat step. I have yet to see an unmolested factory magazine tube loose. Also, upon disassembly the rod can be used to compress the follower down the tube away from the receiver to avoid heating it and the spring that can lead to deformation of particularly the spring. Just a different Plan than yours I guess.

Edited by benelliwerkes

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a follow-up of on the sticking issue but first, those are great pix!!! Fortunately I took it to a gunsmith and it was very difficult to break it free but he did eventually get off. The tube itself was clean which was a surprise. The problem was the cap that the shell would push back, guess thats called the follower was deformed, had a small burr on it. The gunsmith removed it and polished it back up and now the movement is very smooth, smoother than it was from day 1.