Briley MFG Match Trigger for Benelli Automatics

Vortec MAX

Interested in this too.

Wish they'd send the parts out for self install though.

I think they will at a $45 discount. $45 of the price is for the installation. I read that somewhere else, not on their site.

Mike

EDIT: I found the source. It was on their Facebook page here.

Edited by Vortec MAX

I still don't have it back yet. I am patiently (well... somewhat patiently) waiting for it to arrive. I will definitely update you when I get it. I measured trigger pull before I sent it in and will measure what it is when it gets back.

Mike

Awesome, thanks Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my trigger group back from Briley. The stock trigger averaged 6.7 lbs. The Briley trigger averages 5.5 lbs. I was hoping it would be lighter than that. Travel and reset are very short, which is desirable. I had an issue with their customer service which was supposed to be remedied with a credit back to my credit card. It has been over a week and I have not seen the credit show up yet.

I will try to post some photos in the next few days. The battery in my camera is currently dead.

Mike

Got my trigger group back from Briley. The stock trigger averaged 6.7 lbs. The Briley trigger averages 5.5 lbs. I was hoping it would be lighter than that. Travel and reset are very short, which is desirable. I had an issue with their customer service which was supposed to be remedied with a credit back to my credit card. It has been over a week and I have not seen the credit show up yet.

I will try to post some photos in the next few days. The battery in my camera is currently dead.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I might be reading too much into this, but it sounds like you are bummed out with the results. Is it not worth the money?

Someone please clue me in. A shotgun, especially the M4, is a sledge hammer, not a chasers hammer (look it up). It's not going to be a sniper rifle no matter what you do to it. I would never criticize what someone would do to their own tools. I'm just not seeing the utility of such a specialized, expensive addition with a questionable outcome (see above). Talk me into it. I'm sure Briley would appreciate the work. :-)

Edited by truckcop

I might be reading too much into this, but it sounds like you are bummed out with the results. Is it not worth the money?

Worth the money is subjective. With the M4, there are not a lot of options out there. The FFT trigger group is also expensive. This is just another option (which is actually available). I would like to know what the trigger pull is on an FFT setup for comparison. So if anybody has measured theirs, please chime in.

I am still deciding how well I like the trigger. I definitely like it better than stock, but was hoping for a trigger that was 3.5 to 4 pounds rather than the 5.5 that I got. But even though the trigger is heavier than I hoped for, I can break the trigger precisely when I want to as I swing the gun across the target, which is something I struggled with using the stock trigger. I did notice that the hammer to sear engagement is very small compared to a stock trigger. It makes me wonder if it will hold up over thousands of shots. I will get some photos posted up soon, so you can see what I mean.

Someone please clue me in. A shotgun, especially the M4, is a sledge hammer, not a chasers hammer (look it up). It's not going to be a sniper rifle no matter what you do to it.

I use my M4 in 3-gun competition, but the concepts also apply to self defense when there are multiple assailants. When shooting at a bunch of steel plates, I literally have to stop my swing at each plate because of the heavy stock trigger and not knowing precisely when it was going to break. A short travel, short reset, lighter pull trigger helps you to break the trigger precisely as you swing across a target without stopping your swing to move to the next target. It is smoother and faster that way.

I was practicing my twin loads and first shot (dry fire with dummy rounds) last night and was impressed about how easily I could break the trigger precisely on the target I chose (like a door knob) as I swung the gun up to my eye. I have a 3-gun comp on Saturday and plan to use the M4 with the new trigger. I will likely have better feedback after the comp.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX

Sounds like a good deal from you description.

It is a little more than the FFT setup, but they do the Labor of installing and sounds like they tweak the action a bit. For $65 difference that sounds like a deal.

For people who don't work on their own guns sounds like a no brainer.

Here are a couple of pictures of the trigger group. You can see the minimal sear/hammer engagement I talked about in the second picture. It seems to work well though.

Briley_Trigger_01.JPG

Briley_Trigger_02.JPG

Mike

If you didn't know anything about how this was done and you shot 2 guns, one stock and one with this trigger, how would you describe the two and how would you feel about the Briley?

The Briley trigger is a definite improvement. No doubt about it. Trigger pull was lightened by 18% (6.7 to 5.5 pounds), but that does not tell the whole story. The break is much more crisp. There is practically no creep (very short trigger travel to break compared to stock), and the reset is shorter. Since having the Briley trigger installed, I have dry fire practiced with the shotgun quite a bit, ran about 50 rounds through it practicing, and have used it in a competition (another 50 rounds approximately). I have noticed that it is easier to anticipate when the trigger will break, meaning I can control the precise moment when it will. This has noticeably improved my ability to move from target to target quickly.

Overall I am impressed with it and would do it again. The only cons I can think of are the price (but it is still comparable to the FFT option), and a still relatively heavy 5.5 pound trigger pull. Ideally, I would have liked to see the trigger pull under 4 pounds, but that is just my preference.

Hope that helps.

Mike

The Briley trigger is a definite improvement. No doubt about it. Trigger pull was lightened by 18% (6.7 to 5.5 pounds), but that does not tell the whole story. The break is much more crisp. There is practically no creep (very short trigger travel to break compared to stock), and the reset is shorter. Since having the Briley trigger installed, I have dry fire practiced with the shotgun quite a bit, ran about 50 rounds through it practicing, and have used it in a competition (another 50 rounds approximately). I have noticed that it is easier to anticipate when the trigger will break, meaning I can control the precise moment when it will. This has noticeably improved my ability to move from target to target quickly.

Overall I am impressed with it and would do it again. The only cons I can think of are the price (but it is still comparable to the FFT option), and a still relatively heavy 5.5 pound trigger pull. Ideally, I would have liked to see the trigger pull under 4 pounds, but that is just my preference.

Hope that helps.

Mike

So you would say it is a safe trigger for a defensive shotgun?

Price sounds like a deal to me. If there is such a thing in Benelli Parts.

Ohhh, and it's Gold!

• 1 month later...