Out of control M4 SBS project

jlindly

So I decided to make my 18.5 inch m4 into a 14-inch M4 earlier this year. Why? I'm not sure. I don't need an SBS but for some reason I really want one. So the first thing I did was to send in my application to the government - it's been 3 months and I'm still waiting for the tax stamp. Apparently, it could take another 2 months or so. Excruciating! In the meantime I wanted to buy a few aftermarket parts that would make the shotgun better than it already is. The short barrel will be the last thing I buy once it's legal to do so. I figured maybe three or four additional items would do it. Ha! Here is the list of parts so far in no particular order:

* Carrier Comp 5-round titanium tube - still waiting on this - might come in just about the same time as the tax stamp

* KZ oversized charging handle

* DMW oversized safety

* DMW Speed Bar

* Taran Tactical stainless lifter

* Taran Tactical mag tube follower

* Scalarworks BOR

* Trijicon RMR

* Mesa Tactical Urbino Pistol Grip Stock with Limbsaver pad

* Mesa Tactical Urbino stock aluminum shell carrier

* AVA 0.8 light mount

* Surefire Lumamax 170 lumens

* Blue Force Vickers 221 padded sling

Obviously things got out of hand but everything above has gotten good reviews by members of this forum, other forums and on the Internet. I'll post a photo when I can finally buy the barrel and put it all together.

Anybody else go overboard with this process?

Edited by jlindly

Not me!

Factory M4 SBS

Carrier Comp 5 Rd Ti Tube

GG&G Bolt Release Pad

Geissele Hammer

FFT Trigger/Disconnector/Follower

Lightened Safety Spring and Other Trigger Work by SD

Scalarworks BOR

Trijicon RM05G Nickel Boron

TTI Shell Lifter

Benelli Factory Collapsible Stock

Robar NP3+ Finish

Factory Alum Trigger Guard (Hand Selected)

http://i.imgur.com/0PgbgFL.jpg

Thank you Mr. Danger. No collapsible stock for me - I tend to hurt my face with one. I have the shorter Urbino pistol grip. However, I am having a standard stock shortened to Urbino stock LOP by a gunsmith just to try it out. I see Mr. Ohbejuan has added a Geissele hammer - I've been considering one. The KZ bolt handle is just a scaled-up stock style and seems to be working ok.

Edited by jlindly

Thank you Mr. Danger. No collapsible stock for me - I tend to hurt my face with one. I have the shorter Urbino pistol grip. However, I am having a standard stock shortened to Urbino stock LOP by a gunsmith just to try it out. I see Mr. Ohbejuan has added a Geissele hammer - I've been considering one. The KZ bolt handle is just a scaled-up stock style and seems to be working ok.

You can see both my full-size and SBS version here :)

http://forums.benelliusa.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2961&d=1455160401

That muzzle brake is heavy!

Good choice with the shortened LOP stock. If I was going that route, I'd probably go with a field stock instead of a pistol grip. How do you plan to attach the rear sling point? Are you getting the QD only model of the blueforcegear sling?

An option would be to put a Noveske adapter plate in the factory sling mount position. Your gunsmith should be able to get the stock apart successfully.

I like the pistol grip but we'll see how the standard turns out. Why would you go for the standard over the pistol grip?

I have the Vickers 221 padded sling with the RED swivel. I like the 2-point to 1-point option. It fits into a Mesa tactical push button sling mount for the Urbino stock at the rear of the receiver and an AVA tactical light bracket push button mount at the front. I'll have to check out the Noveske adapter plate for the standard stock. Thanks!

You have a good plan so far. Good choices on components.

I assume you're using a collapsible stock, and you'll get the IWC Magpul MOE QD sling mount for the stock?

I'm liking the TTI bolt handles. They're my go to choice since Carriercomp's are non-existent.

Don't suppose you have a side by side photo of that one with the stock handle? It looks a bit larger

Don't suppose you have a side by side photo of that one with the stock handle? It looks a bit larger

I don't, I compared it to one of my clients. It's a little longer than OEM I think, but not as large in diameter as one of the 1/2" units. Sorry, I was on vacation for the past week or so.

I don't, I compared it to one of my clients. It's a little longer than OEM I think, but not as large in diameter as one of the 1/2" units. Sorry, I was on vacation for the past week or so.

There was a guy on another forum that determined that one the over sized charging handles was the same weight as stock but needed some file work to make it fit the detent ball correctly, have you seen or experienced that?

I'm not convinced that CarrierComp will ever be in the position to produce these again.

It really needs to be steel into the Gun and Titanium at the handle. Titanium is too soft to ride against steel for long.

It's hit or miss with FFT. I usually recommend people just get the steel unit they sell. Steel seems more forgiving and durable than the titanium. I'm not sure if carriercomp will make any more either. Getting a stainless TTI unit seemed to be the best solution over just keeping the OEM one.

It's hit or miss with FFT. I usually recommend people just get the steel unit they sell. Steel seems more forgiving and durable than the titanium. I'm not sure if carriercomp will make any more either. Getting a stainless TTI unit seemed to be the best solution over just keeping the OEM one.

You like the TTI over the stock?

Is there a weight difference?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well here it is almost complete.

After 5 1/2 months I just got the CarrierComp titanium 5 round tube but I haven't installed it yet - it's beautiful by the way. Still waiting for shortened stock - gunsmith had many projects ahead of it - but the Urbino will do for now.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Need to get her to the range. I'll post more photos once I install the carrier Comp tube and get the shortened stock. Thanks for looking.

John