Interesting reticle for shotguns

JustBC

I was poking around the Primary Arms site and saw what looks to be a very nice looking reticle, the ACSS. It's a horseshoe with chevron and dots. Right now it's only available on one red dot, the Holosun HS503G.

They came out last year but sold out quick. They are now back in stock.

The reticle was designed by Primary Arms so hopefully it will show up on other brands.

It seems to have good features for shotguns.

The horseshoe gives the approximate pattern at 25 yards. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3056[/ATTACH]

The Chevron and dots are holdovers for slugs. I wouldn't anticipate shooting a slug 150 yards but it is a nice thought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3057[/ATTACH]

I had never heard of Holosun the reviews seem OK.

I don't expect the quality to be on par with something like an Aimpoint but the Holosun is 1/3 the price.

I have it mounted up on my benelli and will give a range report soon.

After I have shot it and beat on it a bunch I will post a ruggedness report.

Thanks for the post and please do update it to let us know how it works out. I've looked at Holosun products and although I usually avoid Chinese made products like the plague, I have to admit I'm thinking about trying one. I've heard nothing but good about their products and the price is awfully appealing.

I own Aimpoints and know they are quality products, but sometimes it would be nice to get by without spending the high price that Aimpoints and other similar products command. It might be too much to wish for, but it would be nice to find a product at a more reasonable price that can be depended on.

I took it to the range and put some rounds through my M4 with the red dot mounted. My initial impression is good. The unit is solidly made as are the mounts. I used both 00 buck and slugs. I was limited to 25 yards so I could not validate the BDC. Honestly I doubt I will ever try using a slug at 150 yards. Wrong tool for that job.

I used the 1/3rd co-witness mount. For me the height was fine. Going between the red dot and the ghost rings was fast and easy as well.

The reticle is plenty bright for daylight. I was able to find the happy medium where I can see in brightly sunny rooms and darkness. It works well with my weapon light (400 lumens).

Acquisition was really fast. I did a bunch of snap shots I was way more accurate with the horseshoe than the ghost rings.

Their claim that the horseshoe shows the pattern at 25 yards is accurate, I tested that a bunch.

Rbuzz, I share your opinion on Chinese products. It's easier to bet my life on an Aimpoint. Honestly if I could get this reticle on an Aimpoint I would spend the dough. I am willing to give the Holosun a shot as long as I can use the ghost rings immediately, without having to remove an optic. I can do that with the included mount.

Right now functions like auto-on/auto-off all work as expected. Let's see if that is true in 6 months or a year icon10.png

Cheers, BC

Thanks for the update. Like I said, I've heard nothing but good about Holosun and will probably give one a try. Primary arms sells a lot of red dots and other optics that are produced in China and they seem to get rave reviews in most cases. In fact if I would check, I would be willing to bet that many top brands are produced in China today. That's just the global community that we live in today.

In a perfect world, we all could afford an Aimpoint or Trijicon on every firearm that we own, but when you own several different firearms, it isn't always possible to put the ultimate optic on every rifle/shotgun. Besides, realistically, most of us will ever put a sight through the workout that military use does.

Personally I like the circle with the dot inside that the Holosun products have. It's like the Eotech sights. For me the circle helps to place the gun on target faster, plus it serves the secondary job of helping to illustrate approximately how the pattern of the shot from the shell will place on the target. Just out of curiosity, which model Holosun did you get?

Good luck with your new sight. If you get a chance would you post a picture of your M4 with the Holosun?

• 2 weeks later...

M4 with the sight, sorry for the crappy quality. You can (barely) see the lower 1/3rd co-witness and reticle.

Just FYI, M4 with FFT extension and Dave's charging handle. FFT trigger, disconnector and follower, Wolf spring and Geissle trigger for 922r. Taran extended safety and lifter for my poor fingers. Also have the BLAM pic light mount and an Inforce WML light.

ben4.jpg

ben2.jpg

ben3.jpg

ben1.jpg

Edited by JustBC

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a great setup. My only concern would be the height of the mount. Personally I would prefer something a little more low profile. I know that the riser can be removed and a lower Holosun mount can be used. Been hearing great things about Holosun red dots. Here's a link to a torture test of the Holosun 503G. It might not be Aimpoint tough, but it seems pretty tough and the price is a lot lower. For many who would like a red dot tough enough for military use (or close) but don't want to spend the price, this may be the ticket. Hope it works out for you.

http://www.trucksandguns.com/2016/08/24/holosun-hs503g-acss-torture-test/

Edited by rbuzz

• 3 months later...