photos of IWC mount with Inforce weapon light

krul1

I am pretty sure that just a barrel assembly and a couple of handguards held together with tape or something. I don't see a magazine tube at all. I don't think there is a firearm there at all in fact. Maybe I am missing something.

I'd like to see G2X or similar mounted and a direct down top view shot as well as a direct on facing the barrel shot if possible IWC.

I'd just like to know if there are any mounts out there that will work WELL with a standard Benelli M4.

The AVA mount looks downright beautiful, but I take issue with the whole "works with Scout Style lights" thing when it doesn't actually work with Scout lights. Oh wait, but it does, but only if you replace every part of the light except the head.

In comparison, the IWC mount looks both rough and flimsy. Rough in terms of machining quality (looks like a rough casting), and flimsy in terms of it looks like it could snap. On the other hand, the way it mounts the light slightly higher than the AVA mount could be better.

What I really want to know is what kind of light is put downrange with these mounts? Maybe it's just the way things will always be with a standard length M4, but I'd love to see some sort of mount near the muzzle. Because with all of these, I feel like half the light will be completely blocked by the barrel and/or mag tube.

Just getting frustrated in my search for a mount without major drawbacks.

Any suggestions?

The AVA mount does work well and like you said is beautifully machined & finished. I'm running a 14" so its pretty close to muzzle flush for me.The IWC mount is not yet available and it is still largely an unknown. Agree that the current IWC pics make it look very rough however this may be some sort of rough test mule / preproduction unit. IMHO, in Nov 2016, the AVA Mod 1 w/ an aftermarket Scout Body and appropriate tailcap is the best M4 weaponlight solution.

I think you'd have a hard time snapping an IWC mount.

You can modify an existing Scout light to work with the Ava Tactical system. You'd need to remove part of the tailcaps shroud (or all of it preferably) and you'd need to modify the foot of the light body to fit into the boss in the unit. Not as ideal as a drop in unit. However, there are certain drawbacks by having a drop in unit. There are serious size constraints in play along with how close you want the light to ride to the weapon.

If we're dreaming about the ideal weapon light, I could think of many aspects necessary to create the perfect design. You could create a flow chart of pitfalls to overcome. Such as are you going to suffer with tape switches and cables or are you going to push for a remote wireless activation switch system like Crimson Trace is pushing? What is the activation system going to look like? Is it going to be molded buttons into the handguard, or a physical mounting position similar to the Ava Tactical mount that simply has the momentary/constant on button?

"works with Scout Style lights" thing when it doesn't actually work with Scout lights.

I am wondering if this is a terminology issue or a methodology issue?

In fact it does work with Scout lights, naitively with a picitanny rail, and with the scout style lights by using a adapted scout bodies available on the open market. So, if it's a way this has been worded - how would you propose the function and method be described by the vendor? They will need to describe to users exactly what options they have, so saying nothing is no option at all.

If it's a method issue, as mentioned it does in fact work with native scouts, but the focus here is how it adopts to adapted scout bodies. The mount at first only supported .8 and 1 inch in its purposeful light cradle. The second generation expanded to include adapted scout bodies, and certainly they would have done native scout bodies as well, but there is simply not enough room to do those along with .8 and 1 inch. If there is I am sure there would be interest to know exactly how that could be done while maintaining a reasonable product.

I think at the end of the day, more options were provided. Generally, that's a good thing.

Maybe it's just the way things will always be with a standard length M4, but I'd love to see some sort of mount near the muzzle. Because with all of these, I feel like half the light will be completely blocked by the barrel and/or mag tube.

Options in this regard are:

1) Light mounted near muzzle with remote activation. As mentioned, that is a challenge in and of itself. Mounting the switch where it can be reliably activated, etc. Some folks just don't like remote switches as well. Additionally, this would require a purpose built mount - which is unlikely to be made - a niche of a niche of a niche - where as most folks will opt for the mounting positions currently offered - or a Barrel Clamp. Barrel clamp mounts are there on the market for the taking. There are of course downsides there as well.

2) A long light. They do exist. Ugly, perhaps, but one may have to sacrifice depending on their priorities.

3) SBS your firearm. :)

4) A light with a very narrow throw. These exist as well.

I personally don't find issue with the light output on these, the amount of light they put out with 600+ lumen lights allows nothing to hide. If that's not enough light, there are brighter lights, I'd say put a light in this relative position on your m4 with foam and tape and see the results for yourself if you haven't already.

As far as such a system that does everything you asked for I am not sure how such a mount could be made at any cost, must less for a cost that the market would be able to absorb.

Has anyone mounted one of the intelligent beam Surefire heads? I'm curious to know of the barrel shadowing causes issues with the unit's lumen output? IE: is the shine off of the barrel causing light blow back to trick the sensor into dialing back output?

I just ordered a Mod 1 , to replace my Mod 0 . I will try the the M600 IntelliBeam head as soon as I get the mount. Had bought it a few months ago without realizing it wouldn't have enough clearance . Stuck it on my AR in the meantime ....

If we're dreaming about the ideal weapon light, I could think of many aspects necessary to create the perfect design. You could create a flow chart of pitfalls to overcome. Such as are you going to suffer with tape switches and cables or are you going to push for a remote wireless activation switch system like Crimson Trace is pushing? What is the activation system going to look like? Is it going to be molded buttons into the handguard, or a physical mounting position similar to the Ava Tactical mount that simply has the momentary/constant on button?

See, what you're describing there is all bad for me. Every time I've gone through that sort of process I end up with a massive project that ends up giving me exactly what I want but costing me a ridiculous amount of time. Nowadays I'm just trying to buy what I want instead of building or designing it myself.

Then again, you probably know about that already. I've seen your threads and all the different modifications you've tried.

I am wondering if this is a terminology issue or a methodology issue?

Maybe a bit of both. To me, I don't see how a Scout light, once you change the body and the tail cap, is still a "Scout style light" at all. The only part you still have is the LED head. So I do take issue with that terminology.

As for the methodology, I must admit that I had forgotten about the pic rail option. Every single picture I have seen and every discussion regarding the AVA mount seems to be focused on mounting a light in the clamp. Although, if I did mount it using an MLOK rail, I suppose I could just leave the clamp off if I wanted to.

Options in this regard are:

1) Light mounted near muzzle with remote activation. As mentioned, that is a challenge in and of itself. Mounting the switch where it can be reliably activated, etc. Some folks just don't like remote switches as well. Additionally, this would require a purpose built mount - which is unlikely to be made - a niche of a niche of a niche - where as most folks will opt for the mounting positions currently offered - or a Barrel Clamp. Barrel clamp mounts are there on the market for the taking. There are of course downsides there as well.

2) A long light. They do exist. Ugly, perhaps, but one may have to sacrifice depending on their priorities.

3) SBS your firearm. :)

1) I guess I'm just looking at things differently than most people. I can deal with a remote switch, and run tape switches on all my AR-style rifles without any issues. For me, that would actually be the preferred method over a tailcap switch.

As for a barrel clamp, everything I have come across for the M4 seems to have issues with either not staying put due to recoil, or actually effecting the magazine tube to the point that it does not feed reliably.

2) I suppose if I could find a long enough light, I'd be willing to try that. Assuming of course, that it didn't end up weighing as much as the shotgun itself.

3) I'm in California. SBS is a no go here.

As far as such a system that does everything you asked for I am not sure how such a mount could be made at any cost, must less for a cost that the market would be able to absorb.

This is very true, and it especially becomes very much a niche market (as you pointed out earlier) when we're talking about an M4 with an 18" barrel. This is also, I think, why it is so hard to find upgrades for the M4 in the first place. Perhaps my general frustration in that sense is increasing my frustration about the light mount as well.

Also, I agree with you in that more options are always better.

So I do take issue with that terminology.

Given that all the components used are scout compatible, described as scout components by their manufacturers, and you use the actual surefire scout light emitter - how would one better describe the function? Genuinely interested, because I am not sure I can do better.

I suppose if I could find a long enough light, I'd be willing to try that.

Perhaps your best bet is to build out a 6 Series light using a long 6 series body. You can use surefire emitters or you can use aftermarket depending upon your preference.

Bodies that would build to length:

AGv7UCT.png

eH3A6Fd.png

My 2 cents. Sorry, but it's unattractive and singular in use. Don't pimp your ride with this one.

It's actually not a singular mount. We named it the "Multi" because the base mount for $70 intro price has an ambi location designed to attach a SF Scout compatible light directly, like the THORNTAIL & THORNTAIL SBR Light Mount we make. Arisaka, THORNTAIL BACKBONE, Streamlight Rail Mount 1 & 2 or SF M300/M600 lights all have threaded bases machined into these light bodies. Our base mount uses these threaded bases to directly attach the light to the mount. No clamps, rings, etc. Just two fasteners, like our proven THORNTAIL's

Next option, as shown in the pics at the top of the thread, we offer a 1913 rail machined to to mount to either or both of these Scout pattern mounting surfaces using the same fasteners used to mount the Scout type lights as described above. This allows you to mount a Inforce WML or other rail mounted lights like a SF X300.

Based on sales at Haley Strategic and IWC, we've seen Scout Type and Inforce lights dominate the weapon light market, which is why we made the mount focused on these two types of lights. The prices on these lights continue to be very competitive.

Lastly, our rail section can accept the same ring we've been making which attaches to our THORNTAIL, SMC & TMS Light mounts, which hold handheld lights from .830, 1.00 & 1.030.

As for the machining in the pics... These are actually pics of our 3D Printed Models. We don't have any pics of the test mules we CNC'd from billet which have been tested for over 6 months on a variety of M4's. As you may know, we're known for our quality of design, finish, function and quality. We've incorporated our usual quality our new M4 Mount.

Believe me... You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Impact Weapons Components
terms

I like the IWC mount, but I wonder how robust it is. How much abuse can it take in comparison to the AVA mount?

You know how the factory webbing sling mount is retained by the snap ring? Our mount uses the groove the snap ring uses, along with designed in radial clamping forces, similar to our light mounting rings, to grip the barrel lug. Combine this with a very sleek, no snag profile, and during testing, we've found it to be as robust as any of our other mounts.

We stand behind them with a 100% warranty.

I'd just like to know if there are any mounts out there that will work WELL with a standard Benelli M4.

The AVA mount looks downright beautiful, but I take issue with the whole "works with Scout Style lights" thing when it doesn't actually work with Scout lights. Oh wait, but it does, but only if you replace every part of the light except the head.

In comparison, the IWC mount looks both rough and flimsy. Rough in terms of machining quality (looks like a rough casting), and flimsy in terms of it looks like it could snap. On the other hand, the way it mounts the light slightly higher than the AVA mount could be better.

What I really want to know is what kind of light is put downrange with these mounts? Maybe it's just the way things will always be with a standard length M4, but I'd love to see some sort of mount near the muzzle. Because with all of these, I feel like half the light will be completely blocked by the barrel and/or mag tube.

Just getting frustrated in my search for a mount without major drawbacks.

Any suggestions?

Ava's mount looks gorgeous!

The pics of ours are actually 3D Printed versions.

When we launch our version, they will be as beautifully machined, anodized and laser engraved to the same quality as all other mounts and accessories we make. Our mount is by no means flimsy, as it locks into and around the snap ring groove. It's robust. Trust me, we heard the same with the THORNTAIL. I recall a guy who posted a pic of the longest SF Scout, the M600, mounted to a THORNTAIL that was mounted at the front of the rail. The guy squeezed the light and the barrel and the light / mount flexed to touch the barrel and then returned to position. We engineer our products with just what's needed to do the job. This mount is no different.

Our base mount is made to work with Scout type lights with mounting holes in the base which is attached to the light body, eliminating the need for a ring or rail or rail clamp. Just like our THORNTAIL mounts.

As for the light beam, the beam spreads past the muzzle, providing a full view of both sides of the weapon. Same as with all of our other mounts, like the THORNTAIL. INLINE, SMC & TMC. The bezel does not need to be at the muzzle.

Thanks!