M1 Super 90 extra/replacement barrels??

Protector

I have an M1 Super 90 12 gauge, that I absolutely love. I am a working police officer and now have permission to make it my carry shotgun on patrol, but is has a 28 inch barrel. On line it appears that M1 barrels, especially shorter ones, for sale are very rare. I am new to Benelli's, so my question is will an M2 barrel work in an M1??...and if not, is there a good place to look for an M1 barrel??. Thanks for any help with this.

Yes it can be done. The barrel swap is no problem. The problem will arise with the forearm. An older M1 forearm will not fit a new M2 barrel without modification. The M2 barrel is different in two ways as it relates to the forearm. At the rear of the barrel just forward of the barrel extension (the part that goes inside the receiver) there's a larger reinforcement ring around the circumference of the barrel. Also, the lug of the barrel ring (the ring that goes around the end of the magazine tube) is longer than the M1 lug. You'll have to do one of two things. Either modify the existing forearm to accommodate the differences in the barrels, OR, replace the M1 forearm with the a M2 forearm. Modification is fairly simple. A dremel tool for the rear and a small drill and small/sharp chisel for the front will do it. Replacement can be problematic. There are at least three variations in the diameter of the magazine tube of older M1's. The M2 forearm will not fit on some of the older tubes. There used to be an older thread about the barrel swap here with pics and everything but apparently it's no longer in the archives as that old link goes nowhere. Here's a link to a discussion about the differences in forearms. http://forum.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/29184-Difference-between-early-and-later-m1-forends-Will-later-models-fir-HK-m1S90

If your M1 is one of the newer Benelli imports a M2 forearm may fit. If it's one of the older HK imports (receiver marked with Heckler & Koch, it may. I've got two that did and two that didn't, which required modification of the original forearm.

Edited by truckcop

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, DDiiorio said:

I have a M1 24 inch barrel, and really need a 28 inch barrel to use it for duck hunting, I would consider a trade if someone is interested?

Double D I would be interested in making that trade if you are still thinking about that.   

On 8/7/2020 at 10:48 AM, DDiiorio said:

I have a M1 24 inch barrel, and really need a 28 inch barrel to use it for duck hunting, I would consider a trade if someone is interested?

Double D I would be interested in making that trade if you are still thinking about that.   

• 2 weeks later...

You probably know Capt.Matt, but you can use a M2 field barrel on the M1. It will require a slight lengthening of the opening for the recoil lug under the forearm. If done, it still fits the original just fine. If you search this site I know I (and probably others) have posted pics on what needs done. As of a few weeks ago, there was some available for the M2 a few different places.

https://www.shopbenelli.com/shotugn-barrels.html?Model=M1&Model=M2&Per_Page=16&Sort_By=disp_order&gauge=12 Gauge

5 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Hi, I have a like new M1 barrel 26" vent rib with screw in choke (full). I would be interested in a trade for a short barrel with rifle sights.

Mike 304 429 4222

Mike what are you looking to get for the barrel.  I have been looking for one.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I had two M1s at one time, sold one and regretted it. But the great thing about them was you could convert them from tactical to upland to the duck blind to trap with barrels. I even had a rifled barrel that was great on whitetails. But barrels now are very hard to find and priced like gold. 

My question is why hasn't Benelli carried this to the M4? With a different barrel, and different extension, we could do the same. I suppose they want us to get more Benellis rather than help buyers. 

They are great guns and I would put my life on them but the supply of parts and accessories for the m1 is disappointing. Reason why I bought an SX4 for hunting. Although if anyone would like to do some trading or even has a 26 or 28 inch barrel I would be interested. My m1 with the pistol grip and extended tube would make for a great snow goose gun with the longer barrel.

• 8 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 10:05 PM, Capt.Matt said:

Are looking for a short barrel or a field barrel Bambi ? 

Wow, it is very obvious I don't get on here often huh? I just saw thanks to the latest bump.

The one I am selling/trading is the one above the gun and NOT in the gun in the first picture. The last picture shows the only blemishes I can find. It is truly nearly mint and is in the original serial matching early box. I'd probably be better off putting it on GB. Due to the condition, I think it might sell well there. I do have a M2 field length barrel that I may sell too. I am not willing to cut this M1 forearm in order for it to fit.

For ad.jpg

Original.jpg

Original2.jpg

20200425_162327 - edited.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...