Extermely Disapointed By Benelli Dealer

profeti

I went to pick up my new Nova pump today and was very disappointed to see two spots of bare steel on the magazine. I pointed them out to the dealer and said it was unacceptable to have such defects on a new firearm. He first said it was "no big deal" and that "it would scratch up like that" from use anyway. I insisted that it was unacceptable and that they needed to repair or replace the Nova or give me my money back. After some grumbling, the dealer went in the back and returned a few minutes later and handed me the Nova. It was obvious that he had just run a permanent black marker over the spots, even that wasn't done very well! I pointed out that that was BS and that they needed to REALLY fix the gun or replace it. They refused. I finally got my money back after threatening to have the credit card charge reversed by my bank (and pointing out that would hurt their credit and they would incur a fee for the reversed transaction.)

The most disappointing part is that this was a dealer referred by the BenelliUSA website (dealer info below.) I had spent some time here researching and saw a post by one of the moderators noting that BenelliUSA was very selective in choosing authorized dealers.

I REALLY wanted a NOVA Pump and was already planning to purchase the NOVA H2O too. Now I don't know...

Someone please help! Please refer me to a REPUTABLE Benelli dealer in the SF Bay Area.

This is the dealer I had trouble with, needless to say I won't be buying anything from them...EVER:

Imbert & Smithers

1144 El Camino Real

San Carlos, CA 94070

I too have looked at several Benellis. When I commented on the bare spots on the barrel and other parts I got similar replies...Even from some on this forum....It seems that you should'nt worry about the defects. Don't misunderstand me,I am very impressed with the entire concept of the sbeII but when I buy a new one I would like it to be in NEW condition. $1300 is too much to spend for something in less than new condition. In my opion bare spots, off center sight pins etc. are not new condition.

SBE Joe: I was unaware that Cabela's carried Benelli. We don't have any retail stores here in CA that I'm aware of, and apparently that's the only way to get firearms from Cabela's. Any further info would be appreciated though...

GB: Thanks! Maybe I'll PM you in a couple of days. (I guess I need to do a little more research though.)

Turkey: The notion that defects out of the box should be overlooked is, IMO, obscene. I own a product development/manufacturing company and know quite well how difficult quality control can be in a mass production environment. But we insist that our resellers exchange, on the spot, any defective unit and do the same in our retail operations.

If a company doesn't take pride in their products (or services) there's really no reason to do business with them as far as I'm concerned.

Now, I'm not convinced that this is the case with Benelli, hope it's not. I've heard some very good things about their guns, even this lowend pump (Nova) which I'm currently interested in and I'm willing to give it another go...I think.

If you are searching for absolute perfection from a firearm, it is unlikely you will be happy with any Benelli product.

The mag tube becomes quite worn over time on the Nova pump. The Nova also rattles, forever.

So do yourself a favor, buy another brand of firearm, it will save yourself (and us) much time and energy.

May I suggest Mossberg?......

mudhen - CA

[ 02-13-2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: mudhen ]

Pump shotguns will always show wear on the slide components. However, a new gun should not be pre-worn. The gun is either not new or has been on display for quite some time.

Simply find another dealer and look through his stock until you find what you want.

Your problem is with the dealer, not the maker, but don't rule out other brands. Look at all of them and find a pretty one.

The issue with this gun was not wear. It was two, centimeter square, nicks on the magazine. The gun had been damaged pure and simple. And given the attitude of the dealer the damage was probably done by them. They tried to say it arrived that way form Benelli a couple of days ago, this was an outright lie. I was there 10 days earlier watching the guy write the serial number on my receipt.

mudhen: If you're not a discerning consumer...well, that's your business. No one is forcing you to read or comment here so save the snarkiness. I'm just trying to find a good dealer in my area.

[ 02-13-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: profeti ]

Why would you post this if you are merely looking for a good Benelli dealer?

"I REALLY wanted a NOVA Pump and was already planning to purchase the NOVA H2O too. Now I don't know..."

A dig is a dig is a dig.....

Try Canyon Sports - Fremont or someplace near there.

This website is for comments - that was my comment - deal with it....

mudhen - CA

mudhen,

Perhaps I should have said "I Really wanted that Nova...." My post wasn't intended to be a dig at Benelli's product and I don't think that taken in context the line, even as written, could fairly be construed as a dig at the firearms.

If there's a dig in my post directed at Benelli, it relates to their vetting of their dealers. Ironically, I went in with high expectations based on this reply by Nelli Girl to a comment of yours:

The reason why it is harder to be a Benelli dealer than a Beretta dealer is because unlike almost all gun companies (Beretta included) we do not sell our firearms to someone just because they have an FFL. Our dealers go through extensive background checks and must be a store front/stocking dealer. Our dealers are truly "Authorized" dealers beacause we only sell dealer-direct. Our dealers are the cream of the crop.
emphasis added

Admittedly, my experience with this particular dealer has given me pause. But, as I indicated previously, I'm willing to give it another shot. As noted, I'm in the product design biz and can recognize good ID when I see it, it's certainly there with Benelli. And, I'm hoping that the engineering and manufacturing will prove to be as good. Haven't actually shot a Benelli yet, which is why I wanted the Nova, so I could get a close up look. I find that a company's lowend products are a good place to judge commitment to quality (the trivial price doesn't hurt either.)

I apologize if I offended you by my earlier posts, I'm not trying to start a fight. Just want a nice pump shotgun to bust some clay and maybe find a brand that I can enjoy collecting.

My girlfriend ordered my SBEII.....the dealer called said it's in.....my girlfriend (who bought it) went and picked it up.....surprised me with it......even further to my surprise was that the box was never even opened.....I was the first to even open the box....she never even checked it out.

Moral of story: You should check it.....but request that the dealer does not open the product until you are there.....if they'll do that. BTW...mine was perfect.

To be slander an oral statement must be false. The word you're looking for is libelling. And, again, to be libel a publication (i.e. something one can look at, like printed words or pictures) must be false.

An Arkansan could be forgiven for not knowing the difference, I suppose.

But, my sac and I thank you for the admiration none the less.

No girls made like mine anymore......sorry.

But, as for Benelli's commitment to their customers....can't speak about the dealers.....I have had trememdous support from Benelli. I have gotten service with a three day turnaround, after I called ahead to verify the issue and received instructions on where to mail, who to att. to, etc.....then I have even gotten freebies with no charge, even after I ordered items they came to me with "no charge". I relate this to my own efforts at being reasonable and nice...to which Benelli responded in a like manner. I would assume they value their good customers who support their efforts and in return they support those supporters.....and vice versa....something I can't necessarily blame them for. I have had great service and experiences with them so far.

Originally posted by mudhen:

If you are searching for absolute perfection from a firearm, it is unlikely you will be happy with any Benelli product.

The mag tube becomes quite worn over time on the Nova pump. The Nova also rattles, forever.

So do yourself a favor, buy another brand of firearm, it will save yourself (and us) much time and energy.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by profeti:

I went to pick up my new Nova pump today and was very disappointed to see two spots of bare steel on the magazine.

This is the dealer I had trouble with, needless to say I won't be buying anything from them...EVER:

Imbert & Smithers

That's very very strange. Of the major gun shops in the bay area (south and east of SF, not counting the north bay), Imbert & Smithers has the best reputation, with Sportmen's Supply a little behind them. Matter-of-fact, I'm quite bummed that they are such a long drive from me, otherwise I would frequent them more often. In particular, their gun smithing service is reputed to be the best among the gun-store generalists in the bay area. Reed's also has a very good reputation, but tends to have sky-high prices (Imbert&Smithers isn't exactly cheap either). Markley's is definitely the most friendly and homely gun store, but for most bay area residents it's a one-hour drive. Sportsmen's supply is the best combination between reputation, service, and reasonable prices - at least as far as I've heard.

The story you're telling doesn't at all match what I've heard about Imbert&Smithers. Now, at some other stores (won't mention names), I could imagine this.

A few days ago, I was talking to a very experienced (and old) trap/skeet shooter. He has about 75 shotguns at home (not counting rifles and handguns), and in his good days used to go through 20-30 thousand rounds shooting trap and skeet a year (he's now doing less now, as he is getting older). He just about screamed at me when I confessed that I've bought guns at Reed's and at Sportsmen's Supply, because in his world-view, Imbert&Smithers is the only place in the area worth going to (even though it's over an hour from his place).

I pointed out that that was BS and that they needed to REALLY fix the gun or replace it. They refused. I finally got my money back after threatening to have the credit card charge reversed by my bank ...
This is also very very strange. In California, we have a 10-day waiting period. Furthermore, the serial number of the gun is on the DROS form that's sent to the state. What you're saying would imply that the store had to contact the attorney general's office to undo the DROS form in some fashion.

Didn't you inspect the gun before you bought it? That's usually what's done: You check out the gun, then you transact the purchase (meaning: fill out the DROS form, have all the paperwork checked, and give them money), at which point model and serial number of the gun are entered into the form, and sent to the attorney general. Lastly, 10 days later you pick it up. When did you notice the blank spot, before or after the 10 day waiting period?

I had spent some time here researching and saw a post by one of the moderators noting that BenelliUSA was very selective in choosing authorized dealers.

Someone please help! Please refer me to a REPUTABLE Benelli dealer in the SF Bay Area.

Since nearly all major gunstores are Benelli dealers, they can't be all that selective.

Depending on where you live (Marin? Watsonville? Livermore?), the convenience of getting there could make a big difference. I would start at Imbert&Smithers for the peninsula, and at Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell for the south bay. For Milpitas / East San Jose, I would go to Reed's for best selection, but wait for their annual parking lot sale for reasonable prices, or shop elsewhere. If you are down south (Gilroy, Santa Cruz, southern San Jose), go over to Markley's in Watsonville. The place is run and staffed by friendly old overweight grandpas, all very knowledgeable, and huggable. Plus it is big, well-lit, and has a range right in the store. For the east bay, I cringe to recommend Trader Sports in San Leandro: they have a huge selection, but the place is a bit in a slum, and often frequented by gangsta-types. Two more wildcards: Kerley's on Stevens Creek (rumor has it that they less of a gun store, more of a hunting and outdoor store with a few guns, haven't been there in years). And Tabor's in San Bruno - too far north for me, never been there, but it is mentioned favorably occasionally by people who live in the city. Oh, and for inexpensive used guns, weird surplus ammo, and a general pile of junk with occasional gems at great prices in there: the Almaden Gun Exchange (they can also get new guns, but really specialize in second-hand stuff). I love to go there every few weeks, just to see whether a real good deal has walked in the door.

I know nothing about gun stores north of the city, or in the central valley. Not my bailiwick.

From another post:

mudhen: If you're not a discerning consumer...well, that's your business. No one is forcing you to read or comment here so save the snarkiness. I'm just trying to find a good dealer in my area.
A bit of an attitude, I see. How about relaxing somewhat? In particular before going to the gun store. :cool: The people that work there tend to be armed. And they seem to treat people well, if you are nice to them.

I just had a great experience with Sportsmen's Supply: Their distributor had screwed up (sending them a handgun with magazines that are illegal in California, for my special order H&K pistol), and they handled that competently, quickly, and friendly, while I was still in the store. And they made sure that the problem gets fixed without affecting me (other than having to wait an extra 10 minutes). So I'm one of the few civilians in California that has had the opportunity to fondle and touch an H&K pistol with a brand-new 12-round magazine - unfortunately, I had to give the clips back, and they'll be shipped back out of the state.

Good luck finding the Nova you want!

[ 02-16-2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: treelogger ]

Originally posted by mudhen:

mudhen - CA

TeamBenelli,

Consider changing your moniker to Team Gullible.

sar·casm (särkzm)

n.

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

[ 02-20-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

TeamBenelli,

Consider changing your moniker to Team Gullible.

sar·casm (särkzm)

n.

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.