SBE2 lefty, failure to feed

Swimslikearock

with duck season over, I had about half a dozen failure to feed events while in the field. SBE2, lefty, no mods, ejects the empty without issue and the new round comes out of the mag and hangs up in the carrier waiting for the bolt to close. I could push it closed but by that time the birds have long gone. is it the recoil spring? I had the issue with dirty gun and with clean and lubed gun. what does the little spring buried in the receiver end of the barrel do?

I would check your recoil spring and make sure it's not gummed up. You will have to take the butt pad off the gun and undo two bolts if it's the same as the SBE 1. I think one is a 13mm and the other 17mm. The 17mm can be a little stubborn due to locktite. Heating up the bolt with a lighter will loosen it. Wear safety glasses and back the bolt out slowly so the spring doesn't go flying. I like to put a small amount of lubricant (just enough to give it a sheen) on the bolt carrier wear it rides in the channel of the receiver. Hope this helps.

As to your feeding issue, in addition to the possibility of a recoil spring problem, there's a slim possibility that the magazine spring may be a bit weak or the magazine tube is in need of a cleaning. You indicate that it fires/extracts/ejects with no problem. Are your misfeeds on the last shell in the magazine? If so, the mag spring may not be pushing that last shell out of the magazine far enough to properly engage the mechanism that sets the feeding sequence in motion.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the replies. the failure to feed could have been on the second or third shot. never hung up in the mag tube, I sent it in a couple years ago and Benelli did a free upgrade on the mag and spring. I'm hoping to upgrade the recoil spring and maybe the tube. I've seen a couple of upgrades on line. any suggestions?

I have ordered replacement springs from Wolff Gunsprings https://www.gunsprings.com/ They also have a reduced power spring for shooting lighter sport loads and a extra power spring for use with heavier loads (waterfowl/turkey). My suggestion would be to give your stock spring a good cleaning and light lubrication and then lubricate the action according to Benelli's standard

See if that fixes the failure to feed before ordering an aftermarket part.