calviroman

Stock preference for this application  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Stock preference for this application

• Factory C-Stock @ mid setting
    • Urbino w/ Riser & Limbsaver
    • Other stock setup (explain)
    • Pie

I've been running a factory C-Stock at the middle "setting" (approx. 12" LOP) for a while now and have always thought the cheek weld was ho-hum. While I do have an OEM Field stock and OEM PG stock (LOP is too long for me on those two) I've never had an Urbino stock. It at least appears to work OK in some video reviews back from when it was first released, but in nearly all cases it seems to have been bought as a budget substitute for a C-Stock at the middle setting and was replacing a OEM PG stock...NOT as a replacement for a OEM C-Stock.

For those who have owned and used both the C-Stock and Urbino, preferably with a RDS such as an Aimpoint Micro, is there a general preference for the Urbino over the C-Stock?

If buying an Urbino, I'd likely get the model with the LimbSaver and cheek riser (set in its lowest height setting).

Thoughts? Current setup is below:

20170209_173123.jpg

Pretty much this.

It's my understanding that it has a retaining bolt that threads, from the rear, into the receiver's recoil spring tube extension. From what I've seen looking at necro posts there may be issues with this bolt coming loose, or causing issues with the extension if threadlocked into place. So SD you don't recommend the Urbino to your customers & for the M4 builds you do now that C-Stocks are readily available for $250? I remember the bad old days where C-Stocks were selling all day long for $450-$500 and before then even higher! When they dipped down to $230 at one point I bought two in case I ever messed mine up!

The main issue is if you use thread locker on the attachment screw, you're going to have a bad time. The threaded hole in the base of the receiver extension is a screwed in plug that is retained by a snap ring. Tightening the screw is no big deal since the threaded plug bottoms out inside the extension and won't go anywhere. Unscrewing it can cause trouble. You might end up in a situation where you have unscrewed the threaded plug while the screw is still in place. You then have a situation where you'll have to cut the stock open to recover the parts. Then if you don't use threadlocker, you run the chance of it coming undone on you.

I find its a step backwards in design for the Benelli. You go from a toolless disassembly design back to a crappy Mossberg style screw the stock in place design. I'm sure this design was cheaper to make, but I would have gladly paid more for one with the same installation technique.

The other aftermarket stocks like the ATI rusty coat hanger abortion should be avoided at all costs. The Promag lives up to the companies reputation - crap. I advise buyers to look at the OEM offerings to see what fits them best. The field stock is good for some. The collapsible is always nice. The cheek weld isn't ideal in the middle position using iron sights. For me, it's an optic only position. The pricing of the OEM collapsible stocks have stabilized nicely. I pick up lightly used ones here on the forum frequently for 200 bucks.

I dump the factory buttpad in favor for a Limbsaver 10111 model and a modified Noveske adapter plate.

One thing I have heard about the Urbino for people who don't like the install method:

1) install per the instructions with a screwdriver from the rear.

2) Once the install bolt and washer are installed, pour JB weld down into the stock to cover the bolt and washer

3) once the JB weld is cured, the stock can now be twisted on and off the same way OEM stocks install, and the stock won't come loose from firing.

I haven't personally tried this, so take it with a grain of salt. I will say that the LOP on the Urbino is pretty nice for optics, but I think I'm gonna opt for the collapsible stock in the middle position.

talkin about M1014 stocks,cool,I like the regular kind as shown,past, present and future,it feels so natural when I pull it up to my shoulder,plus I can have the sling underneath,as far as recoil management,for now I have an old limb saver tacked on,but it works till I get more dough,maybe a grind to fit limbsaver, the pic on the left is of my first M1014 circa 03-09 era,the one on the right is very recent 12/16,great topic, thankyou

MVC-018S.JPG

DSC02425.jpg

Limbsaver 10403 on a pistol grip oem m4 civilian 11707 is my preferred setup. This includes c stock, urbino, and field, all of which I've tried.
all these new aftermarket parts and services,this shows how bad I've been out of the m4 loop,too long,,thank you sir.

I've been running a factory C-Stock at the middle "setting" (approx. 12" LOP) for a while now and have always thought the cheek weld was ho-hum. While I do have an OEM Field stock and OEM PG stock (LOP is too long for me on those two) I've never had an Urbino stock. It at least appears to work OK in some video reviews back from when it was first released, but in nearly all cases it seems to have been bought as a budget substitute for a C-Stock at the middle setting and was replacing a OEM PG stock...NOT as a replacement for a OEM C-Stock.

For those who have owned and used both the C-Stock and Urbino, preferably with a RDS such as an Aimpoint Micro, is there a general preference for the Urbino over the C-Stock?

If buying an Urbino, I'd likely get the model with the LimbSaver and cheek riser (set in its lowest height setting).

Thoughts? Current setup is below:

calviroman, which QD sling swivel mount is that? Looks like it also serves as a light mount? I've never seen one like that before.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to start a new thread, does anybody know of any gunsmiths that can shorten my OEM M4 stock and add a buttpad? I know there are plans to do it yourself but I am not confident in my abilities and I don't want to ruin my OEM stock.

JosERW -- "Strangerdanger" on this forum is a M4 specialty gunsmith and would be a great choice for the work. Obviously the difficult part of PG stock cutdown is making the new buttpad look great. Back in 2010 I had cut down my PG stock but never quite figured out the "make the buttpad match" part and ended up trashing it for a C-stock.