FFT handguards (make sure the barrel seats all the way)

benelli1014

SD mentioned this to me, but honestly, I wasn't sure what he meant at the time :) Well, now I know.

I took my M4 to the range for the first time and shot 100 rounds. Before I went, I took it apart, cleaned it and installed the FFT handguards. It was all new to me so I didn't even pay attention to the barrel fit (maybe it was perfect, maybe it wasn't). When I cleaned it after the range session, I noticed that the FFT handguards do not allow me to push the barrel all the way in. No gap with OEM parts, but a 1/16? of an inch with FFT. I got a bit concerned. After taking them on and off a few times and trying different things, I just pushed down on the barrel while tightening the plastic mag tube nut and it seems to be fine. I am a bit paranoid now. I can't tell if the gap is there or not. If there is one, it's tiny.

Update: Just looked at it one more time. To an untrained eye, looks fine, but when I hold it against some back light, I can see a small gap in the silhouette bit enough to fit a piece of paper (maybe two)

Not sure what to do now. Please offer your thoughts

Edited by benelli1014

Does it fire with the gap you have?

can you post a picture of how much gap is present?

the way to fix it would be to file the load bearing edges or the hand guards - not just the ends of them. This is usually the inner lip that the handguard retainers seat against.

You want the barrel ring ring fully seated against the receiver, not just floating out there on the end of the plastic hand guards.

Does it fire with the gap you have?

can you post a picture of how much gap is present?

the way to fix it would be to file the load bearing edges or the hand guards - not just the ends of them. This is usually the inner lip that the handguard retainers seat against.

You want the barrel ring ring fully seated against the receiver, not just floating out there on the end of the plastic hand guards.

I think I fixed it (so nothing to photograph), but originally, it kind of looked like this pic. Maybe even a bit worse

Freedom-fighter-7.jpg

I sanded down the tops of both hand guards a tiny bit and when I reinstalled them, I put the stock on the floor and pushed the barrel down with one hand while tightening the mag tube nut (I hope it's ok to do. I don't think I put that much pressure on it). Now there seems to be no gap. Before, when I used the "push and tighten" method, I still had a small gap (big enough to put a business card through). Now it seems to be gone. I guess I could sand it down more so that I get the same result but without pushing the barrel down, but I already feel better about it. Let me know if you think I should keep going or let it go

Edited by benelli1014