Something followed me home today...

Unobtanium

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow........would live to put a few shells through that!

congrats

Thanks!

I know going from 18.5" to a 14" barrel doesn't sound like a lot "on paper", but just moving from low ready to target, and handling the weapon in general...it's literally like comparing my SUV now to the Z06 corvette I used to have. Yeah, they weigh similar (CX5, couldn't get 100% away from sportiness, even if I needed AWD and practicality) and have 4 tires...but damn!

I installed a TTI black safety, and it is now my favorite of the breed.

I am waiting until I take it home to install the Surefire/IWC combo and the H2/Scalarworks combo, but this thing is awesome.

Oh, and the barrel is re-finished where they chopped it. NOT bare metal. The shop said they have seen this on more recent SBS M4's (circa polymer trigger-guard). I however already dropped in my OEM metal one that I bought from a poster here, earlier. SO it's G2G :)

I was gonna say, you must have friends in the NFA branch if you're already bringing it home.

WELCOME, to the M4 Platform as it should be.

I do have friends in the NFA branch, but not on the approvals side of things. Investigative. I've come to the conclusion that I have friends pretty much everywhere. Except there. Those people don't have friends :(

Thanks!

I know going from 18.5" to a 14" barrel doesn't sound like a lot "on paper", but just moving from low ready to target, and handling the weapon in general...it's literally like comparing my SUV now to the Z06 corvette I used to have. Yeah, they weigh similar (CX5, couldn't get 100% away from sportiness, even if I needed AWD and practicality) and have 4 tires...but damn!

I installed a TTI black safety, and it is now my favorite of the breed.

I am waiting until I take it home to install the Surefire/IWC combo and the H2/Scalarworks combo, but this thing is awesome.

Oh, and the barrel is re-finished where they chopped it. NOT bare metal. The shop said they have seen this on more recent SBS M4's (circa polymer trigger-guard). I however already dropped in my OEM metal one that I bought from a poster here, earlier. SO it's G2G :)

Very sweet. A 1911 gunsmith buddy has a few SBSs. Chopping the barrel 4” makes a huge difference

Sometime prior to Jul 2012. I don't have the box anymore so I lack any manufactured dates or other data that might provide.

I can take closer pictures of the face of the barrel. I do recall hearing that they chopped down the 18" barrels to make these. In fact, I think someone said many of them were done state side at the Beretta facilities. Who knows.

What I do know for sure, is that it's awesome. No complaints.

In fact, I sent my barrel of to RAS a few months back and they threaded it for a choke. In prep for something. :rolleyes: I didn't do it because I wanted a choke.

I supported this procedure. This M4 identifies as quiet.

I thought about running a suppressor, but decided against it. Shotguns are low-pressure, and while loud, less likely to absolutely screw hearing than say, a rifle or .357 mag, and a can will only knock it down into the high 130's, and it weighs about 2#.

I am also keeping the OEM mag tube. I thought about going the Ti route, but thermal expansion properties and elasticity modulus on this component outweighed the benefits of lighter, in this application for me.

Please explain.

The 5 shot tube is shorter than the 7 shot tube, so less weight to be saved. Also, it's closer to the shooter.

Steel is 200% stiffer than Ti. Also, the barrel is steel. Coefficient of expansion is much less in Ti than steel.

The mag tube stabilizes the barrel. I want it to expand and contract the same as the barrel with heat, and be as rigid as possible, as the weight savings of going Ti aren't really worth it to me on this setup.

The 5 shot tube is shorter than the 7 shot tube, so less weight to be saved

That makes sense.

Also, it's closer to the shooter.

And so.....? Whats's that got to do with steel Vs Ti in this context?

Steel is 200% stiffer than Ti. Also, the barrel is steel. Coefficient of expansion is much less in Ti than steel.

Wouldn't that be more important in a longer barrel and tube than a shorter version?

The mag tube stabilizes the barrel. I want it to expand and contract the same as the barrel with heat, and be as rigid as possible, as the weight savings of going Ti aren't really worth it to me on this setup.

Again, wouldn't the length of the barrel & tube be more critical the longer it is? The shorter the barrel and tube, the less bending moment there is.

And honestly, I don't see much in the way of heat transfer to the mag tube as it only makes contact with the barrel via the two heavy hangers. So I don't understand your concern about heat?

Sorry but, your answers seem rather cryptic to me at least, without really explaining your theory behind these suppositions as to what negative effects that you're trying to avoid.

Edited by Evolution

That makes sense.

And so.....? Whats's that got to do with steel Vs Ti in this context?

Wouldn't that be more important in a longer barrel and tube than a shorter version?

Again, wouldn't the length of the barrel & tube be more critical the longer it is? The shorter the barrel and tube, the less bending moment there is.

And honestly, I don't see much in the way of heat transfer to the mag tube as it only makes contact with the barrel via the two heavy hangers. So I don't understand your concern about heat?

Sorry but, your answers seem rather cryptic to me at least, without really explaining your theory behind these suppositions as to what negative effects that you're trying to avoid.

Weight closer to the shooter matters less. With the 7 shot tube, you also add 4oz or so of shells past the 5 shot tube, making weight savings a bigger deal.

You are correct on longer tube being more critical regarding rigidity. Also same on heat transfer. However, recent experiences have led me to preferring the milspec tube, it just hurts a lot less in the weight dept. On the sbs.

Jesus, you guys talk about your shotgun like it's a 1 mile sub MOA rifle. How about "the gun comes with a 5 round magazine already on it, I just don't find it necessary to save a negligible couple ounces for $180 and a 3-6 month wait"? Thermal expansion and rigidity? Where's the eye roll emoji? It doesn't even have a rifled barrel.

Jesus, you guys talk about your shotgun like it's a 1 mile sub MOA rifle. How about "the gun comes with a 5 round magazine already on it, I just don't find it necessary to save a negligible couple ounces for $180 and a 3-6 month wait"? Thermal expansion and rigidity? Where's the eye roll emoji? It doesn't even have a rifled barrel.

Out to 50 yards using irons I shoot sub moa. Further, I have tracked 12moa + shifts due to thermal barrel expansion vs. mag tube etc. It's not as mundane as your like to make it when it can cause. Complete miss of a deer kill zone at 100 yards.