Looking for a 14 incher

Jolly Roger

Just barrels and also complete guns for sale on GB. As far as the legal hurdles that you must jump over to own/buy a complete SBS, or what's involved if you want to swap barrels, I can't answer that, I just know that there are some to jump. These guys who have them can explain it I'm sure.

Don't own any NFA classed weapons and probably never will.

Edited by Evolution

My plan is to get the two rnd extension because as I understand it the standard 5 rnd tube that came on my M4 is the same one used on the 14" model.

This way all I have to do is take off the extension and long barrel and put on the short barrel without the extension and nut and Im good to go?

Correct.

Doesn’t Stev Rose chop 18.5” barrels down? If I recall, he even offers threading services if desired. As cheap as used 18.5” barrels are, this might be a cheaper, better route to go.

Only advantage to buying a complete SBS, is you don't have to have the receiver engraved.

If you build your own - by buying or having the barrel chopped down - you need to have your receiver NFA engraved and file your F1. If you buy a complete SBS, that's a F4.

Exactly. I didn't want the receiver messed with, etc. Also, "factory SBS" is just CDI points.

You don't have to engrave anything. File a Form 1, use the existing SN on the receiver, indicate a 14" barrel on the form......submit photos, fingerprints, wait 8-12 months and get BATFE approval stamp......only then assemble your M4 receiver with the 14" barrel. You then have a legal SBS.

Most would recommend you do not purchase your 14" barrel until your BATFE paperwork is completed in hand, otherwise you may be subject to having the 14" barrel as "constructive possession" for the SBS, which is illegal.

If you really want to keep your future options open, indicate a 12" barrel on the Form, then you can build an Israeli Defense Force 12" entry M4 and also use your 14" barrel.

Isralie Defense Force Benelli M4 12%22a copy.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes

I was under the impression that when you file a F1, you are the maker and since you are making the NFA item, it needs to be engraved with the Maker's Name, City and State. This is the way my SBR was done.

I.E. The maker is not Benelli/Beretta, since they did not make the NFA item - they made a Title II arm - you are 'Making the NFA' arm and applying to do so with your F1.

That was what I had understood anyway, certainly not an expert here.

^^You are the "manufacturer" when you file a Form 1. You are manufacturing two components: the receiver being legally mated to a less than 18" barrel the original manufacturer did not ship that shotgun with. So, you use the original receiver mfg. SN, Benelli in this case, and the short barrel you are going to mate with it, the 12-14" barrel.

The same thing is true when building SBR's, again usually indicating the shortest possible barrel you may use in the future e.g. a 8.5 " SBR barrel, however you can also use a 9", 10.5", 14" etc.....the BATFE will record your build with the shortest barrel. To use a different longer barrel, then you only need to send a "courtesy notification" letter to the BATFE of your intentions to do so; no $$, no fingerprints, no photos, no forms. IF you were to use a 10.5" barrel, you must also have in your possession the 8.5" barrel that the SBR was registered as, in order the rifle can be configured as originally registered with the BATFE; in case you were ever to be audited by the Federales.

The BATFE registers the receiver of the shotguns and rifles, not the barrels. That's why you can walk into a gunstore and buy a short barrel for either; your responsibility is that you don't break the law by going home and illegally constructing the short weapon.

I have done this many times. Most recently received BATFE stamps from Oct 2016 on two SBS's and just submitted some more SBR's in August 2017.

From BATFE Form 5320.1

10.Description of Firearm and Markings. (1) Item 4a. If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer. If you are creating the firearm, enter the maker’s name, city and state.

(2) Item 4b. The types of NFA rearms are listed in the definitions; (3) Item 4c. Specify one caliber or gauge. If there is another designation, indicate the designation in item 4h. (4) Item 4d. Show the model designation (if known). (5) Item 4e and 4f. Specify one barrel length and overall length in items 4e and 4f as applicable. Note: if the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with the stock extended. (6) Item 4g. Do not alter or modify the serial number of an existing firearm . Enter the existing serial number or, if a new firearm, one you create. (7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with his or her name, city and state. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 12.00.02 PM.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes

A perfect example is the Remington 870P Modular Combat System.....it can be purchased as a complete kit that includes 10", 14" and 18" barrels. It would be BATFE registered as a 10" SBS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3499[/ATTACH]

However, were you to SBS the Benelli M4 to a 14" gun, you could add the 12" barrel later to your collection and legally use it, as it is still an SBS. The BATFE REQUESTS that you inform them if you PERMANENTLY change it (say you sell your 14" barrel and the only configuration you possess is the 12")

Correct.

Doesn’t Stev Rose chop 18.5” barrels down? If I recall, he even offers threading services if desired. As cheap as used 18.5” barrels are, this might be a cheaper, better route to go.

Been looking around for 18.5's and the prices are withing a few hundred of the 14"er's......almost just worth spending the extra and be done with it...?