Trigger Guard Pin coming slightly loose on a Benelli M4. Normal?

cfrea

After firing or if I release the bolt back, the trigger guard pin becomes slightly loose. Not fully were it protrudes out, but slightly loosens up and I have to push it back in. I'm wondering if this is normal?

Here is a video demonstrating the issue

If I remember correctly my m4 has a slight amount I could push in due to where the detent sets on that pin... How does the other side of the pin look? I've only handled 4 or 5 m4s though and StrangerDanger should have a much better idea how m4 trigger guard pins should fit.

It won't likely cause you any grief. To give a bit of insight in to what's going on inside that pin, you have the receiver, a small round spring that has a leg that captures the trigger pin. Then there is a flat washer like cover plate that supports the spring, then a snap ring retains that plate in to the receiver.

If I had to guess, either the trigger pin wasn't machined perfectly and it allows you to over insert the pin in to the receiver. You can see the groove at the tip and just beneath the head of the pin. These are what give you that tactile feel that the pin is retained in position. A less likely cause is the hidden spring isn't seated right, or is damaged. I wouldn't recommend most try to take it apart since that snap ring can be a real PITA to get out without scratching up the receiver.

l_301000531_2.jpg

l_301000495_1.jpg

If I’m using the correct snap ring pliers with a 90 degree I think I can get the snap ring out without scratching. What are your thoughts on that? Is there still a risk of scratching it with 90 degree snap ring pliers?

It won't likely cause you any grief. To give a bit of insight in to what's going on inside that pin, you have the receiver, a small round spring that has a leg that captures the trigger pin. Then there is a flat washer like cover plate that supports the spring, then a snap ring retains that plate in to the receiver.

If I had to guess, either the trigger pin wasn't machined perfectly and it allows you to over insert the pin in to the receiver. You can see the groove at the tip and just beneath the head of the pin. These are what give you that tactile feel that the pin is retained in position. A less likely cause is the hidden spring isn't seated right, or is damaged. I wouldn't recommend most try to take it apart since that snap ring can be a real PITA to get out without scratching up the receiver.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3573[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3574[/ATTACH]

• 3 years later...

As said above that is the normal position of the head of the retaining pin. A hairs distance from flush with the side of the receiver.

When you push the head to flush with the receiver's side, you are actually pushing the pin out of it's retaining spring groove, hence the tactile click you feel and hear.

As proof of this, substantial pressure is needed to either push out the pin from the opposite side or pull it out from the head side to dislodge the spring from the retaining groove where it normally sits. 

When the head of the pin is a hairs width away from the side of the receiver, the pin's groove is being fully retained by the spring.

This is what I have determined from my own M4.

• Upvote 1