slugs

rangergranger14

Forgive my ignorance, but... I just purchased a Nova Field (smooth bore) and keep getting different answers to whether or not you can put a rifled slug through it. The Benelli site specified not to use the Sabot slugs, but it doesn't say if you can use standard rifled slugs, and if so, what kind to use. Has anybody tried any, and if so, how did they work?

Any slug designed for use in a smoothbore shotgun will work fine.

You should use either the Cylinder or Imp. Cylinder choke tube.

There's a fair amount of buzz about the new Federal Truball slugs for smoothbores.

If I were relegated to having to shoot slugs (cringe), I'd look at them first.

Yep, I would try the Truball as well. I've killed many deer with Brenneke 1oz before going to a rifled barrel and sabots, so perhaps a box of those may be in order for your testing as well. If you're shooting within 60 yards I wouldn't cringe unless I was the target. ;)

Put one through the vitals and a blood trail will be the least of your worries.

i just picked up some Federal Truball slugs and Remington sluggers (both rifled slugs). Later this week I will be testing them at the range and see how they compare. I will be using my SBE using smooth bore barrel and Improved Cylinder choke set-up.