M4 Benelli Choke Question

Centuriator

So, I have my shiny, brand new M4 Benelli H20 and ...

Choke!

It came with a choke that has three stars on the side. And four notches.

I'm given to understand that for the best performance of the Federal Flite-Control 00 Buck I need a "cylinder choke" in it.

So...what do I have? What do I need?

Thank you.

I would obtain a 5 pack of buckshot and check the pattern results with each choke. Generally speaking, I like to use a modified choke for buckshot, but I have seen some IC's throw a tight pattern with 00 & 000.

35 or so years ago, pre-Remchoke era, I had the full choke on my 870 reamed to a modified to give better buckshot patterns.

“Flite Control” buck is a different animal from the traditional buck shot load. The Flite Control will perform best with little or no choke constriction. The idea is that the buckshot stays in the wad for a few yards after exiting the barrel and holds the shot in a tighter pattern on the target (and it works!)

Try your Improved Cylinder or Cylinder (no constriction) choke tube and see what works best with that Flite Control buck. Too much choke constriction slows the wad at the muzzle letting the shot exit the wad sooner and negating the effect of the “Control” design.

I just placed an order for the Crio flush cylinder choke and will be giving it all a good test run with various Flite Control loads and with the choke that came with the M4 as well as using no choke at all. As I've read elsewhere every shotgun barrel is unique and will pattern slightly differently than the next, then the issue of the choke comes in and that too will effect shot patterns.

Thanks for your explanation, it finally sank in this morning re. the unique wad used in Flite Control, either cylinder or no choke will not cause it to open up sooner than it is designed, hence, carry the buckshot load as a tighter group for longer distances, thus increasing the lethality of the spread more effectively out to greater distance.

I'll enjoy testing variations of Flite Control including "low recoil" and the regular and then the high power loads. I'll stick with 00 loads for now.

Again, thank you, Steve, for your comments on this, very helpful in confirming and clarifying what I've been reading elsewhere and taking the time to provide a helpful response on this thread.

I just placed an order for the Crio flush cylinder choke and will be giving it all a good test run with various Flite Control loads and with the choke that came with the M4 as well as using no choke at all.

Please don't shoot your shotgun with no choke tube, you could damage the threads.

Just curious, did you buy the M4 used and extra chokes were not available?

I have a friend that says throw all them chokes away except the modified. But, I do not subscribe to that theory.

While the above discussion about Flite Control wads discusses buckshot, I use Federal turkey loads with Flite Control wads and use an extra full turkey choke. I have been pleased with the patterns and have bagged several birds in the 40 - 50 yard range.

But, birdshot and buckshot behave differently.