Black Rifle Balm

Unobtanium

I've gone back to "core" products that have mil-spec testing, etc. as of late, after being very disappointed with Froglube, Fireclean, and other newest and latest and greatest.

I did, however, decide to try one more. "Black Rifle Balm". It touts as a very light grease, and I can vouch that it is. It's like a better version of ALG Grease. It's lighter, and stays in suspension much better. I have been using it for 6+ months, now, and it's a winner in my book. I do not note it thickening, becoming gummy, or any of that.

The manufacturer makes no crazy claims, and there is no need for some ritualistic application.

It's basically an extremely lightweight grease that has a very solid add-pack. To that end, the wear on the carrier, cam-pin, and rails of my SBS Benelli M4 with more rounds through it than several of my last M4's shows the least amount of wear I've ever seen on the M4 platform, regardless of the type of lube I have used. Clean up is easy, and the wear pattern suggests that this product DOES do something SLIP 2000 and G96 synthetic and others don't.

I have been using it on my suppressed .22 pistol and AR15, as well. It does equally well in these applications. I like it a lot because I can apply heavy lube, and it will not run out of the action if the weapon is stored vertically as in a rifle rack.

I have tested it down to -5*F, and it did not become noticeably thicker when I moved the blob with my finger.

I paid for all of mine, and have no affiliation with the company.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-page/black-rifle-balm

My only "issue" with products like this is the tiny amount of that you get for the cost of it.

I usually break down and clean my guns after every shooting session so I tend to go thru a lot of grease. I probably tend to use too much, as the old "a little is good, more is better" approach, however flawed that line of thinking might be.

For years, Iv'e been using old technology military greases like Lubriplate 130A and Plastilube, which is pretty cheap stuff.

I tend to feel that what they charge you for a thimble full of these hi tech greases is about what it costs them to produce a gallon of it.

That's what mostly steers me away from trying them. Yeah, I get it, they need to make a profit, and there's R&D costs and all that but, I can't help feeling that the mark-up is excessive on things like this.

That said, Iv'e ordered some and will try to use it how they recommend and see how it lasts for me.

When it comes grease, a little goes a long way. I’m still on my same tube of Brian Enos’ Slide glide. I’ve lubed up my firearms dozens of times since I got it and done well over 50 clients guns on the same tube from like 2012. I have no idea how much is left in there, I’d guess half?

I use regular gun oil in most areas, then grease on sear contact points.

Yes, I use oil on the rails. Most greases will slow an action down if you apply it to the moving parts and likely induce failures on lower recoil rounds. Same would apply inside the receiver extension on the spring/plunger. I have a bunch of those bottles of Benelli oil, so I usually run the bolt carrier wet with it. Same with the rail inside the receiver that the bolt carrier rides in. The rest of the inner receiver is just wiped with a surface layer of oil/protection. Maybe noticeably wet if it’s a moving part like the trigger housing pin.

I drizzle a little oil down inside the pivot point on the trigger pack. Then grease the sear contact points. I oil the plunger at the back of the receiver and work the action to move some of the oil inside and on to the spring. This is an area that tends to collect grime and should be disassembled after a few thousand rounds or if it has been submerged.

I oil the bolt rails heavily as well as well as the bolt head and the recess it rides. Oil the bolt retaining cam pin and firing pin heavily.

I leave the ARGO pistons oil free. It tends to just smoke if you oil them and create carbon build up. They’re stainless so they aren’t going to rust easily.

Keep oil oil away from inside the magazine tube. It’ll just cause grit to collect and you’ll start experiencing feeding issues, particularly on the last round fed from the tube.

i wipe the exterior of the receiver and barrel with a patch with oil and remove all wetness with a cloth.

Yes, I use oil on the rails. Most greases will slow an action down if you apply it to the moving parts and likely induce failures on lower recoil rounds. Same would apply inside the receiver extension on the spring/plunger. I have a bunch of those bottles of Benelli oil, so I usually run the bolt carrier wet with it. Same with the rail inside the receiver that the bolt carrier rides in. The rest of the inner receiver is just wiped with a surface layer of oil/protection. Maybe noticeably wet if it’s a moving part like the trigger housing pin.

I drizzle a little oil down inside the pivot point on the trigger pack. Then grease the sear contact points. I oil the plunger at the back of the receiver and work the action to move some of the oil inside and on to the spring. This is an area that tends to collect grime and should be disassembled after a few thousand rounds or if it has been submerged.

I oil the bolt rails heavily as well as well as the bolt head and the recess it rides. Oil the bolt retaining cam pin and firing pin heavily.

I leave the ARGO pistons oil free. It tends to just smoke if you oil them and create carbon build up. They’re stainless so they aren’t going to rust easily.

Keep oil oil away from inside the magazine tube. It’ll just cause grit to collect and you’ll start experiencing feeding issues, particularly on the last round fed from the tube.

i wipe the exterior of the receiver and barrel with a patch with oil and remove all wetness with a cloth.

Most greases will slow the action. I have not found this the case with the BRB. I use it on the rails very heavily, and the weapon functions fine, even with low recoil 1145fps 8 pellet federal LE buck. Very positive function. I note no negative effect vs. Oil on the energy of cycling in any weapon ive used it on. Wewr has been significantly reduced to the anodized rails and the phosphate rails of the carrier.

Interesting....I have used it all at one time or another. I have oiled up all the moving parts except the pistons and used grease on everything as well, and honestly never had any reliability issues with my gun.

Even the very thick viscous Plastilube grease has not had a negative effect, tho Iv'e stopped using it on my M4, just using it exclusively on my M14 clone rifles. Probably the NP3 plating helps some, as Iv'e read you've stated.

Right now my M4 is wearing oil. I do actually use a tiny amount of oil on the mag spring, I put a few drops on my gloved hand and massage the spring.

Do you think the Benelli oil is any better quality than other premium gun oils?

Interesting....I have used it all at one time or another. I have oiled up all the moving parts except the pistons and used grease on everything as well, and honestly never had any reliability issues with my gun.

Even the very thick viscous Plastilube grease has not had a negative effect, tho Iv'e stopped using it on my M4, just using it exclusively on my M14 clone rifles. Probably the NP3 plating helps some, as Iv'e read you've stated.

Right now my M4 is wearing oil. I do actually use a tiny amount of oil on the mag spring, I put a few drops on my gloved hand and massage the spring.

Do you think the Benelli oil is any better quality than other premium gun oils?

No, its just a generic oil as far as i can tell.

I’d agree, the Benelli oil is nothing special. It’s free and it works fine for me, so I grab it frequently.

Running the NP3 finish will give you a leg up. They cycle and operate like my well broken in 15000 round M4. You could probably get away with no lube at all with it, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Have you tried that crappy Walmart valuepack stuff? The Winchester brand chokes mine occasionally. I found if someone isn’t solid behind the weapon or they’re of weaker stature, their chances for low recoil rounds failing is increased. Any cautions about operating in low temps changing the viscosity?

I’d agree, the Benelli oil is nothing special. It’s free and it works fine for me, so I grab it frequently.

Running the NP3 finish will give you a leg up. They cycle and operate like my well broken in 15000 round M4. You could probably get away with no lube at all with it, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Have you tried that crappy Walmart valuepack stuff? The Winchester brand chokes mine occasionally. I found if someone isn’t solid behind the weapon or they’re of weaker stature, their chances for low recoil rounds failing is increased. Any cautions about operating in low temps changing the viscosity?

Ive not. Ive tried sts 1145fps 1-1/8oz, and 8 pellet 1145fps flite control le. Works fine. Even held loose.

As stated, down to -5*f, i detected no thickening of note when i tested a blob in my deepfreezer.

I have not used anything but Remington and Federal brand ammo in my M4, Slugs and 00 buck, never tried anything smaller. 1300 to 1600 FPS stuff. Iv'e never had a malfunction.

I have experienced cycling issues with Plastilube grease with my M14's with the few first rounds fired, but only in freezing weather.

Never fired my M4 lubed with Plastilube in freezing temps. The old Plastilube rifle grease from the 1960's is pretty thick stuff. I mean really stiff grease.

Edited by Evolution

I've gone back to "core" products that have mil-spec testing, etc. as of late, after being very disappointed with Froglube, Fireclean, and other newest and latest and greatest.

I did, however, decide to try one more. "Black Rifle Balm". It touts as a very light grease, and I can vouch that it is. It's like a better version of ALG Grease. It's lighter, and stays in suspension much better. I have been using it for 6+ months, now, and it's a winner in my book. I do not note it thickening, becoming gummy, or any of that.

The manufacturer makes no crazy claims, and there is no need for some ritualistic application.

It's basically an extremely lightweight grease that has a very solid add-pack. To that end, the wear on the carrier, cam-pin, and rails of my SBS Benelli M4 with more rounds through it than several of my last M4's shows the least amount of wear I've ever seen on the M4 platform, regardless of the type of lube I have used. Clean up is easy, and the wear pattern suggests that this product DOES do something SLIP 2000 and G96 synthetic and others don't.

I have been using it on my suppressed .22 pistol and AR15, as well. It does equally well in these applications. I like it a lot because I can apply heavy lube, and it will not run out of the action if the weapon is stored vertically as in a rifle rack.

I have tested it down to -5*F, and it did not become noticeably thicker when I moved the blob with my finger.

I paid for all of mine, and have no affiliation with the company.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-page/black-rifle-balm

Have you used any of the Brian Enos grease?

Have you used any of the Brian Enos grease?

Yes, i bought the medium stuff i think it was. Even his light stuff is wayyyy too thick for this application. Its meant for pistol slides, especially loose fit guns with his heavier grades, and for warm weather. The stuff im referencing in this thread can be run in sub zero temps and is very thin, without running.

I have never seen a grease like BRB before. ALG grease comes close, but BRB is stringy like Enos grease, while being lighter than toothpaste.

Yes, i bought the medium stuff i think it was. Even his light stuff is wayyyy too thick for this application. Its meant for pistol slides, especially loose fit guns with his heavier grades, and for warm weather. The stuff im referencing in this thread can be run in sub zero temps and is very thin, without running.

I have never seen a grease like BRB before. ALG grease comes close, but BRB is stringy like Enos grease, while being lighter than toothpaste.

Thanx! Since it was basically free I ordered some of it to try.

I reviewed my notes:

I fired the first rounds through it, being Remington STS 1145fps 1-1/8oz 2.75 dram. It functioned flawlessly. I followed up dumping 5 rounds of Winchester bulk #8 shot through it. Again flawless. A few more rounds of Remington STS, and it failed to hold open on the last shot but cycled dutifully. Ran all Federal LR LE buckshot they make (8,9 pellet 00, and #1).