Benelli SBE 2 Jamming

Reload

I'm about to send my 1 year old SBE2 back to the Benelli repair center for what appears to be a cycling defect. The gun occasionally releases the 2 remaining shells simultaneously from the magazine, after firing and ejecting the first round. This jams both shells into the bottom of the receiver and stops the firearm from operating. This gun is cleaned often, and light oiled with non-teflon based lubricant. I use this gun for waterfowling in California. Rarely does it reach freezing temperatures. I've shot about 3 cases of shells since purchase, 3" mostly but some 3.5" . I generally use Kent manufactured Faststeel and Hevisteel in their highest velocity offerings.

Has anybody experienced this issue with their SBE 2 and/or know of a resolution?

Thanks

Originally posted by Reload:

I'm about to send my 1 year old SBE2 back to the Benelli repair center for what appears to be a cycling defect. The gun occasionally releases the 2 remaining s****s simultaneously from the magazine, after firing and ejecting the first round. This jams both s****s into the bottom of the receiver and stops the firearm from operating. This gun is cleaned often, and light oiled with non-teflon based lubricant. I use this gun for waterfowling in California. Rarely does it reach freezing temperatures. I've shot about 3 cases of s****s since purchase, 3" mostly but some 3.5" . I generally use Kent manufactured Faststeel and Hevisteel in their highest velocity offerings.

Has anybody experienced this issue with their SBE 2 and/or know of a resolution?

Thanks

Hold the presses for just a moment.

Yes, my SBE II would release two Kent Matrix all the time. It also did it with HeviSteel and HeviShot from Environmetal. If you bounced the gun on the butt, it would release a cartridge.

The bottom of the cartridges were rounded off (almost beveled) and did not catch on the Benelli cartridge stop.

This is not a great photo, but you can see the Winchester has a more flat top as does the Federal, and the HeviShot & HeviSteel are more rounded. The Kent Matrix in question was waaay more rounded than any cartridge in the photo.

IMG_1403.jpg

Kent acknowledged that the brass was rounded out of specs and offered to replace all 50 boxes I had. I declined and just shot the cartridges in other guns.

IMHO, the issue is with your cartridges, not the gun.

Kent is crap. They are a crappy company and they make crappy ammo. I'm glad they disco'd Matrix.

Also, I did bend the cartridge stop on the SBE II ever so slightly. This seemed to correct the problem some.

Maybe you need a new/adjusted cartridge stop.

Good luck!

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by Buck50:

Could you show us your s**** stop modification?

Sorry, but the gun is at home + I would have to take it all apart to show what I did.

What you want to do is look at how the cartridge is resting against the cartridge stop. On mine, it was very clear that the rounded Kent cartridge was not holding well when resting on the cartridge stop. A little bending with a needle-nosed pliers changed the angle just enough that the contact was more flat surface on flat surface.

It might be a bent cartridge stop, which is why contacting Benelli CS is not such a bad idea.

mudhen - CA

Mudhen, helpful, I'll take a look at my shell rims and the shell stop. I also have seen the problem on some Remington 3.5 hevi-shot shells in this gun. Funny but, my sons Berreta Extrema fires these Kent shells, and so far, every other ammo he has run through it without ever jamming. (I just find that shotgun clumsy) In addition, my SBE 1 has no trouble with these Kent shells either, just other issues. (Ejector has worked itself loose several times.) I'm pretty sure it must be the shell stop. So I'll check again but it looks like it is off to Benelli USA CS ... again.

I havn't run a reloaded shotgun shell through any of my shotguns in over 20 years. I have read the Benellii owners manual and it doesn't really say much of anything useful. Of course the language is by lawyers, so whomever responded with the attitude, thanks but it didn't help and you should have saved yourself the energy, unless you just like to hear yourself pontificate.

To the rest who replied ... thanks as well. smile.gif

It seems like Benelli M2's and no doubt the rest of the semi auto range don't like Gamebore cartridges, they refuse to cycle. Apologies if our cousins across the pond are not familiar with this (UK?) brand - but maybe that's a good thing. I like Gamebore and have used them for years in a variety of fowling pieces. The problem in the M2 seems to be at the brass cap end of the shell which seems a fraction too wide.

Has anyone else found a similar problem with any other makes?

A bit more info for the UK members, Beechwood the current UK importer for Benelli shotguns will shortly lose the "dealership" to GMK the current Beretta importer. GMK have a reputation for being a very slick operator which is more than can be said for Beechwood who appear to have got their just reward.

I posted this on another Benelli forum a few weeks ago, I do think most of the cycling issues relating to ANY semi-auto are cartridge based.

For the record the load on all the shells in question was 32g or 1 1/8 oz

photopro