R-1 accuracy

lee shifflett

Hey guys,

a few weeks ago I asked about accuracy and only recieved one post and not really an answer to my question. I am looking at the R-1 in .308 caliber. I have a BAR 270 and enjoy sub 1' MOA at 100 yards. I like the feel of the R-1 but just don't want to trade accuracy. I feel in love with the R-1 when I picked up my SBE II. any help on your experience with accuracy would be of great help. I will top it off with a Leupold 4 1/2 X 14 in 50 mm.

The rifle is perfectly capable of delivering sub MOA groups at 100 yds.

Phenom101 has attested to this several times on this forum.

As with any rifle, you WILL have to work through several different loads to find the sweet spot.

If you're a handloader, you know the obvious advantages to working up a pet load for each weapon, but you can also find a good factory load and achieve good results.

165gr Hornady SST bullet with Varget or IMR4064.

Sierra Gameking / Matchking with IMR4320.

These are my sub-Moa loads up to 200 yds with R1 chambered with 30-06. Of course i did try other bullets, but these are the most commonly used in all my rifles.

From my experience i noticed that R1 likes faster burning powders so it takes a bit more work to find a good load for 30-06 , but .308 cal should be alot easier to work with.

________

STARCRAFT 2 REPLAY UPLOAD SITE

Edited by phenom101

phenom101,

Thanks for joining in.

Are you getting good results across the board on the min. to max. powder charge, or are you finding sweet spots somewhere in the middle?

What charge are you putting behind the SST/IMR?

PS: Have you seen this?

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/7minPromo.wmv

[ 03-17-2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

I usually find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle with faster burning powders like varget and 4064 ( usually around 49gr ).

The slower burning powders tend to be more tricky and i had to run ladder tests more than 3 times before finding a spot ready for "tune-up".

Tucker301, the clip you attached is Awesome !.. I love punching holes in paper at 1000yds, but shooting game ??? wheeew ... anything over 400yds is being shot with camera only :D . I'm the old breed who still thinks-" the closer - the better ".

________

Male advice forum

Edited by phenom101

• 1 month later...

I'm used to other brands of guns. Savage 300 Rem. Ultra Mag., Browning Safari BAR with BOSS 30-06. Browning 30-06 A-Bolt All three had muzzle brakes the brownings integrated with the the BOSS and The Savage Bolt action had an adjustable muzzle brake. Having shot a deer with he 300 RUM and seeing the instant kill with absolutely no suffering, when I decided on a new gun I chose the R1 Carbine in the 300 Win. Mag. which has lesser but similar balistic characteristics to the RUM. I have only shot the gun about 30 times so far. And readily admit I need to get used to the gun but due to it having no Muzzle brake or other recoil compensation other than it being gas operated, I find it has quite a bit of muzzle jump that I didn't expect. To compensate for this one must hold it down firmly while shooting.

I also must admit that I have only shot 150gr Remington ammo through it. And I know that I will be able to reload something in the 165-180 grain range that is likely to be more accurate. but so far 4" group at 100/yards and I'm scratcing my head. I'm sure the shorter barrel is affecting things & I'm not sure the carbine in this caliber was the write choice. Having said all that I bought the R1 with the impression that the optional barrrels would be available. HA! Anyone know where one may even get the oil????....

AIGJDR,

There are a few tweaks towards improving accuracy. Click phenom 101's profile above and review some of his posts. You could look through mine, but mine's the bigger haystack.

As for the oil, the R1 takes very little and the bottle shipped with the rifle will probably last me 4 years or better.

However, if you are out, any QUALITY gun oil will do. I like the Elite line from Hoppes.

Thanks Tucker I was concerned about the type due to the manuals insistance that no other type of oil be used. I guess I was believing that it was some sort of specific weight or maybe a synthetic or something.

I will check out phenom 101's posts Thanks.