Would like to buy a shotgun...

Ice Knight

Hi all, new here!

I enjoy shooting clays when we go out to the range and would like to purchase my own shotgun to take along.

I like Benelli's line up, there all great! I definitly want my first shotgun to be a Benelli, i've been shooting my dad's 870 Magnum Express for as long as we have been going.

Anyways, my dream gum would be a M3 or a M4 pistol grip, but they are simply outta my price range by a long shot! I really like the tactical look of them, their awesome!

Now i'm looking at the Nova pump tactical with ghost ring sights, how would this baby do for clays? I don't really ever plan to hunt so that's not a requirement at all. Would the tactical Nova be a good clay shooter? I'm not sure whether or not a short barrel like that would negativly effect clay shooting, but I think it looks better than the huge long barrels, lol. And how would the sights do? I'm used to the bead on the end and that's it, you know, the pointing thing, would the ghost ring type sights be a problem? I know this model can have a brutal kick but I may get the recoil reducer and I won't be shooting heavy stuff out it often, is it a good choice for what I want?

Originally posted by Mossberg Man:

short barrel police home defense gun for shooting clay targets not the best choice.

LOL that's what I figured, any other recomendations?

Before I saw these Benelli models I was liking the Winchester model 1300 Black Shadow but after seeing these babies I look at that Winchester and just cringe. It would probably be good for what I want though, 26" or 28" barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

for years i used to use a mossburg 500 with a 18.5"bbl to shoot skeet but there were two major draw backs first it used to beat the crap out of me after 50 shots or so i just couldent shoot it any more because of the punnishing recoil. but i broke a lot of birds. the other draw back was, every time i took it out at the range the old dudes would tease me about sticking up the quicky mart on my way home. if you want a duel purpose gun mossburg used to make a kit that consisted of a 18.5bbl and a pistol grip and a 28"bbl and a full composit stock it only takes about 15mins to change the stock and bbl also its fairly cheep and my mossburg 500 takes all kinds of abuse and keeps shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Nova 12ga 28 '' barrel a short while ago for trap and so far I have been very happy.

I am not a very experenced trap shooter so I am not an expert, but it brings the clays down.

I have a M1 Super 90 with the 18.5 barrel, one range I shot at, the min barrel lenght is 24 so no go, the other doesnt have that restriction but I have not had the time go try out the M1 S90.

One post that I read said that barrel lenght is not that important its more the choke, we'll see.

I am 6' 245 recoil is not a problem then again I am shooting target loads. I still ma get the recoil reducer. :D

In my opinion, a inertia-recoil Benelli would not make the best home defense gun. I've tried shooting my SBE "free-hand" (not against my shoulder, just holding it) and an alarming number of times it ejects the empty but doesn't come back far enough to release a shell into the chamber.

If I were you, I'd get a SBE for all hunting uses and then, depending on your finances get a purpose-built defense shotgun like the M3 or if you're on a budget after the SBE, get a Rem. 870 police, Moss. 500, Win 1300 defender, etc.