M1 Super 90

SB1911

I purchased a new to me M1 Super 90. It is marked Heckler & Koch. I took it out to the range and it ran great. I cycled bird shot, buck shot, and slugs flawlessly. I brought it home and cleaned it, and upon further inspection I found that the recoil spring tube does not have a nut on it like others have described in my researched. How do I remove the recoil spring? Is this something I should not attempt? I am not overly concerned about this right now but I know that in the future I will need to replace the spring. Any information on this or overall feedback on the shotgun is welcome. I really enjoyed this shooting this shotgun even though it was only about 70 rounds.

3C10A4FF-0C34-48A8-ADE7-257DA7D9D12E.jpeg

C85A8F13-5DA3-4F4C-B4A4-54BE6C738CB2.jpeg

D930893C-368B-4605-9311-0C4C6815648B.jpeg

You'll have to remove the magazine tube from the receiver.  It will probably take some heating up at the interface to loosen up the thread locker.  Those early M1's had a full-length, one-piece tube rather than a sectioned tube that came on later models.

Edited by truckcop

2 hours ago, Fodderwing said:

The OP mentions "recoil spring".

The response discusses the magazine spring.

So, is the question regarding the recoil spring or the magazine spring?

Yeah, I just assumed he meant magazine spring since he didn't mention taking the stock off.  Probably should have clarified that.  

You will still need to apply heat where the tube screws into the receiver.  After heating I would try to use strap wrench to unscrew the tube.

Reinstallation would require a small drop of blue lock tight.

In the meantime I would enjoy the shotgun and not worry about the spring until problems arise.  It will likely take many thousands of rounds before you have trouble.

Thank you for all the help. I will not worry about the spring for now since it’s running great. If anything happens in the future I now know the process.

This thing is very sctratched up on the receiver but is a great shooter.