Help: Benelli M4 Magazine Spring Retaining Cap

Skypirate7

Hello! I am the new owner of a lightly used Benelli M4 (11707). 

I cannot figure out how to remove the magazine spring retaining cap (in order to swap out the follower). I have seen photos of some retaining caps with two "holes" in which needle nose or snap ring pliers can be inserted to squeeze the cap.

My magazine retaining cap lacks these holes (is this normal?) so I cannot figure out a clean way to remove it without marring the cap or tube. Please let me know the trick to removing the spring retaining cap. Please also let me know the trick to reinstalling it.

Many thanks in advance!

If no holes for snap ring pliers then you may need to replace the magazine spring retaining cap with one that has the two holes for snap ring pliers.

I acquired one M4 which had no magazine spring retaining cap when I got it. It still doesn't have a magazine spring retaining cap. Maybe one day I will get a replacement but for now it's not a priority, just a minor inconvenience upon disassembly/reassembly.

How to remove the spring retainer that has no holes? Remove the mag cap then start loading shells into the mag. After 3 or four shells the spring should push it out.

I'd place a pillow in front of the gun first so things don't fly all over the place when it pops out.

Then you can drill holes in it easier if you want.

Edited by Evolution

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, Skypirate7 said:

It looks like someone posted the official method back in 2011. This method is actually in the USMC manual for the M1014, though is omitted from the civilian Benelli M4 manual. See attached for photos of the relevant pages from the USMC manual.

magazine spring seal removal.png

magazine spring seal installation.png

that sad for my memory,I had forgotten all about that military manual method and the worst of it is that I own one of those manuals,age is catching up to me,,thanks for the reminder