pros and cons of shooting 3 1/2"

rooster31

I currently have a stoeger M2000 that only shoots

3", though I'm totaly satisfied with the performance of this gun, I'm still interested in maybe purchasing a Nova that is cabable of shooting 3 1/2" for waterfowl, my Stoeger has a patternmaster choke in and I must admit that I have never actualy taken this gun to the range and patterned it, just shot it hoping that the pattern was correct. can any body help me decied on buying new or just trusting in the good ol tried and true 3" and maybe any information on what this combination of M2000 and patternmaster choke is cabable of range and maybe what shot is best

Originally posted by rooster31:

I currently have a stoeger M2000 that only shoots

3", though I'm totaly satisfied with the performance of this gun, I'm still interested in maybe purchasing a Nova that is cabable of shooting 3 1/2" for waterfowl, my Stoeger has a patternmaster choke in and I must admit that I have never actualy taken this gun to the range and patterned it, just shot it hoping that the pattern was correct. can any body help me decied on buying new or just trusting in the good ol tried and true 3" and maybe any information on what this combination of M2000 and patternmaster choke is cabable of range and maybe what shot is best

I've been shooting an SBE with Hevi Shot for 5 seasons now and love it. I load 2 oz of # 2 Hevi Shot and get better terminal ballistics with it than I used to get with lead. I can put my 2 oz load in a 3" shell but the 3.5" allows room for felt cushining wads and plastic buffer that greatly improve the pattern. I use one of Cabela's zero chokes (no constriction at all) for waterfowl and get great patterns that work well up close and at long distance. For turkeys I switch to # 6 Hevi Shot and use a Cabella's Full (0.695) tube. Pattern density and penitration are exceptional even at 50 yards. Hevi Shot is better than lead. Loading it according to BPI's specs I have fired many hundreds of Hevi Shot loads and had no damage to the barrel. The 3.5" allows options the handloader can capitalize on. The shorter chambered guns just limit your options. If you like a pump, the Nova is a great shotgun.