M4 rear sight replacement

Assi

Hello,

Does any one know of a low -profile sight replacement for the ghost ring? I use my M4 for sporting clays from time to time ( I know, it’s not remotely made for this type of soothing) but it is fun challenge regardless.

the rear ghost sight makes it nearly impossible to track the clays mainly because the ghost sight protective vertical wings.

i was thinking of removing the rear sight altogether but a low profile replacement would be ideal

any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Assi -

I use my M4 for 3-Gun and occasionally for Trap just to practice manual of arms.  I was never happy with the Ghost Ring and housing for the same reasons you mentioned.  Even for non-flyer clays on a stand it disrupts your peripheral vision as you swing from target to target.  Not sure why anyone would need a ghost ring on a shotgun anyway, but I'm sure someone on this forum will explain it to me!  ;-{)

I put a Burris Fast Fire red dot on mine and it helps dramatically.  You'll see others have done the same with a Trijicon RMR.  The red dot sits well above the ghost ring housing so there is no obstructing your FOV, however, there is no way to co-witness the sights if your optic fails.  It will change your cheek weld a little as well but I've rarely noticed it -- just adapted.

If I hadn't fallen in love with pictures of the M4 years ago and chased it down like the hottest blonde in the bar, I would have been better served with a 3-Gun purpose built M2.  Lust at first sight I guess... .  LIve and Learn (again).

On 5/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, Assi said:

the rear ghost sight makes it nearly impossible to track the clays mainly because the ghost sight protective vertical wings.

You could also grind down the wings. My 870 ghost ring doesn’t have the wings and you do have a much better field of view. I may go ahead and do it myself. :)

B8579422-ACBA-4A61-A39E-557A433398D3.thumb.jpeg.44156fcfef340674514f2a14db2df6fe.jpeg

Edited by Sigma05
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I removed both the front and rear sights. Next, I removed the rail, cut it down, and reinstalled it backwards over the rear sight holes.  Now I use a micro red dot.

Without the red dot,  the rail gives you a nice sight to the front post (with removed sight).  However, it does not take long to judge hold over/under with the red dot.

Some of my paint did not stick to the rear of the cut (oil).  So you can see how I cut it.

20190627_124032 (1).jpg

20190627_124102 (1).jpg

20190627_124123 (1).jpg

"Not sure why anyone would need a ghost ring on a shotgun anyway, but I'm sure someone on this forum will explain it to me!"

OK, I'll try.  A ghost ring is designed for a quick acquisition accurate shot at longer ranges than normal shotgun shot ranges such as turkey hunting and taking out dirtbags beyond grenade-throw ranges.  The eye tends to automatically line up the front sight in the middle of the rear ring, making for a quicker shot.  At least, that's the theory.  

While a ghost ring set obviously isn't optimal for clays shooting (you won't find pics of Kim Rhode shooting a GR-equipped O/U in the olympics), I've pounded thousands of orange discs over the years with my older M1 with GR sights.  Since you're supposed to be looking at the bird with both eyes open and not the sights, I've never found the rear sight interfering with my ability to track the target.  But hey, that's just me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, truckcop said:

"Not sure why anyone would need a ghost ring on a shotgun anyway, but I'm sure someone on this forum will explain it to me!"

OK, I'll try.  A ghost ring is designed for a quick acquisition accurate shot at longer ranges than normal shotgun shot ranges such as turkey hunting and taking out dirtbags beyond grenade-throw ranges.  The eye tends to automatically line up the front sight in the middle of the rear ring, making for a quicker shot.  At least, that's the theory.  

While a ghost ring set obviously isn't optimal for clays shooting (you won't find pics of Kim Rhode shooting a GR-equipped O/U in the olympics), I've pounded thousands of orange discs over the years with my older M1 with GR sights.  Since you're supposed to be looking at the bird with both eyes open and not the sights, I've never found the rear sight interfering with my ability to track the target.  But hey, that's just me. 

Thanks for the come back and the info...all makes sense to me!

On 6/25/2019 at 8:01 PM, Jolly Roger said:

The rear sight on the M4 is a royal PITA to take off. The bolts are staked after assembly.....just sayin.. 

The two flat head screws are a pain. The screws usually destroy themselves when removed. They aren’t cheap to replace at Numrich either. Think like 18 bucks each! 

You can see the hollow tip of the screw protruding thru the rear sight housing. As you unscrew it, the cupped end tends to break. You can have a hell of a time reinstalling these screws if the threads are damaged bad enough during the break.

Edited by StrangerDanger
  • Like 1