New M1014, Tube Won’t Take 5 x 2 3/4” Shells

RPC

On 7/11/2020 at 9:48 PM, ClackClackBAM said:

. If you want some help though, email Sean at Wolff Springs and he'll tell you exactly how many to cut. 

Looks like I just may do that. Installed new 7 tube, and it only holds 6. So long spring it was. Tried bumping out the spring retainer, but the cap just presses it back in. If I unscrew the cap about 3/4, and the shell  fits, albeit tight. Figure I will try the trim of the oem spring first.

19 minutes ago, Redwingsfansfc said:

Looks like I just may do that. Installed new 7 tube, and it only holds 6. So long spring it was. Tried bumping out the spring retainer, but the cap just presses it back in. If I unscrew the cap about 3/4, and the shell  fits, albeit tight. Figure I will try the trim of the oem spring first.

Glad you were able to get them all in, but having a spring fully compressed isn't good. I'd still trim it so that there is about a 1/4" of movement when full, should be about two coils with a Wolff spring..

Edited by ClackClackBAM

New M4 owner here. First, thanks for a great resource, I already feel familiar with a lot of the M4 stuff from reading up on this forum.

I just want to add to the list of 'long' 2 3/4" shells beside the Federal. When I picked up the gun, I grabbed a few boxes of the ONLY shells they had which are Sellier & Bellot Buck Shot. It's a 9 pellet 00 buck. These shells measure in about the same as the Federal at 2.37" and I can only fit 4 of 5 into my stock magazine. With a little encouragement from this thread, I am working up the courage to trim the spring, but wanted to run some rounds thru the gun first.

Edited by DigCowboy

• 2 months later...

Super helpful post about the "four shell" issue.  I had it and discovered that it happened only with Federal Premium buckshot shells.  The Federal shell is slightly longer than the comparable Hornady and Remington shells (five of which fit just fine).  The difference in length is small, but when you load four of them, it's just enough to stop that fifth shell.  It appears to be attributable to different crimping methods.  I cut the spring by about 7 coils (doing a little at a time) and it worked like a charm.  Even the Hornadys are easier to load now too.  I agree that this is an annoying task for a top-dollar firearm.  I'm a little concerned that this modification could lead to other issues, such as lack of durability.  I'm interested to know if anyone has had any problems after making the mod.

I had a related issue with my magazine at the same time.  My follower was getting caught fairly high in the tube.  I discovered that an aftermarket Picatinny flashlight mount that clamped on the tube was putting pressure that crimped the follower.  By moving the mount closer to the muzzle (on the 2-round dummy tube, above the end of the actual magazine) cured that problem.  The aluminum tube is just super sensitive--again, an annoying issue for a top-dollar firearm.

Other than these issues, I love this gun.