Loading 4 into the M4 is so damn stiff!!

Sigma05

I’ve been an 870 user my whole life, and my M4 is my first shotgun that is semi auto. Loading rounds in every 870 I’ve  owned has been smooth like butter. On the M4 it’s hard as hell. The shell extractor lip always gets hung up on the shell holder and have to jam it in even harder. Makes loading 4 a nightmare since I have small hands. Sends shells flying everywhere. I noticed that the shell holder spring is stiff as hell. Do people mod these to soften them up? It’s not an issues with the magazine tube spring being too stiff. It’s strictly an issue with the thing that holds the shells in the tube. The shells get hung up on the extractor rim because the spring is so stiff. I have to jam the shell with my thumb into the tube. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It will get better...but remember you're using a very rapidly reloading semi-auto that necessitates a stiffer spring than a pump.  It's physics...

Also I'm not sure what you mean by extractor lip... the shell extractor is on the bolt face.  Do you mean the carrier or shell stop?

36 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

It will get better...but remember you're using a very rapidly reloading semi-auto that necessitates a stiffer spring than a pump.  It's physics...

Also I'm not sure what you mean by extractor lip... the shell extractor is on the bolt face.  Do you mean the carrier or shell stop?

You are correct. Shell stop. I’m just suck at using the proper wording. I was just wondering if there was a way to smooth out that shell stop latch since that’s where the shells get hung up when loading them. The stiffness of the rest of the springs like mag tube one don’t bother me. It’s strictly that shell stop latch. I have not modified the loading port like 3 gun match guys do. Probably won’t unless I feel I need to. 

1 hour ago, Scout_21 said:

Wish I could help but I haven't changed my shell stop latch spring.  I have switched out my bolt release button to the gg&g but kept using the same spring...

I just got the GG&G in the mail and the spring that comes with it is much softer. I also polished the hell out of the ramp. Hopefully that will all help improve it. Thanks for offering to help out anyways. 

5BBE7F0E-2BC8-4395-860A-97824DECD4EF.jpeg

Edited by Sigma05

ADHESIVE SANDPAPER (fine grit)

Cut a small 1inch X 2inch piece and stick it to a dummy round.  Thumb it in and out, dont press it all the way in as to let it go past the shell stop.

Doing this will create a polished indention on the shell stop lip. 

Stop sanding when your satiated.?  and dont sand all the way through it...lol!

Smooth as butter when your done! 

P6040035.thumb.JPG.790ce37a7a276e3f44511de04477ebf2.JPG

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:

ADHESIVE SANDPAPER (fine grit)

Cut a small 1inch X 2inch piece and stick it to a dummy round.  Thumb it in and out, dont press it all the way in as to let it go past the shell stop.

Doing this will create a polished indention on the shell stop lip. 

Stop sanding when your satiated.?  and dont sand all the way through it...lol!

Smooth as butter when your done! 

P6040035.thumb.JPG.790ce37a7a276e3f44511de04477ebf2.JPG

Will definitely try this! Have a spare so even if I mess things up, I’ll be ok. :D Thanks!

14 hours ago, Jolly Roger said:

Dont forget to clean the whole thing after your done. ?

Will do. Plan to do loading port modding at same time. Not like 3 gunners, but something to smooth it out and not cut up my hands on sharp edges.