Sling Ergonomics?

RPC

The M4 is my first shotgun so I’m unsure if the way Benelli designed the sling mounts- specifically the orientation of them- is usual for SGs, but I don’t love how it results in the weapon laying on its side when slung. 

I have a padded BFG sling mounted via QD to an IWC mount up front and the rear of the sling runs through the provided slot in the stock. When hung from my shoulder however, the weapon rotates clockwise and the pistol grip contacts my waist/hip area. I’m not so worried about comfort as when walking with this setup I have to use my right hand to stabilize/orient the M4 to keep it vertical, otherwise the grip contacting my hip sends it bouncing all over the place. 

Is it logical to consider mounting the rear sling at the top of the stock rather than from the side? 

Am I overthinking this or missing an obvious benefit of the current design? 

1780B849-3B2F-49E3-95E0-77C41110C035.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Sigma05 said:

Try attaching the sling on the opposite side of the stock. 

Interesting.

Below the red mark is where it is currently attached, but both front & rear are attached on the left side of the weapon. 

Are you saying keep the front mounted to the left side but run the rear to the right side?

52 minutes ago, RPC said:

Interesting.

Below the red mark is where it is currently attached, but both front & rear are attached on the left side of the weapon. 

Are you saying keep the front mounted to the left side but run the rear to the right side?

Exactly! Give it a try. It may work for you. It works for me. Granted I have the field stock but the sling points are similar. 

Exactly what Sigma05 says. I've been using this method for years with great results. When you bring the shotgun up to  your shoulder, the sling won't get bunched up between your shoulder and the stock. I've been using a similar method on my AR15 rifles now too. Having it connected to the outside of the stock limits the amount of roll you'll encounter in the firearm.

What I'd recommend is using this QD sling point for the collapsible stock. It's from IWC as well and works perfectly on the collapsible stock.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

If you're right handed, your front mount should be on the left side. The rear mount should be orientated to connect to the ejection port side. If you're a leftie, switch everything.

Awesome Stranger. I love Earl’s stuff, no qualms with adding more!

What is your favorite male QD maker? IWC & BFG both offer them, in addition to the tens or hundreds of probably off-brand/foreign-made available on AMZN, eBay, etc. 

Agreed, Earl is a good guy. Always glad do business with him.

I usually buy the sewn in type that BlueForceGear offers so there are two less nylon straps to keep an eye on. I didn't like the Red swivels, they seemed to get in my way. HK Mash Hooks make too much noise.

No matter the QD sling mount, don't trust them until you've pulled on them hard from multiple directions after reconnecting them.

Nice. 

I had BFG sew a QD into the front of the custom sling I ordered from them knowing it would be connecting to the IWC light mount and I left the back free. Just placed an order at IWC for the mount and at BFG for another 1.25” QD. The one I got on my sling seems solid, guess no reason to deviate from that. If this set up meets my need I just might ship the sling back to BFG to have the rear sewn in also.   

Appreciate the suggested caution around connection of the QD. I’ll be sure to give them a tug test before putting weight on. Sounds like a lesson learned through experience...

Yep, I've thought they were connected and even carried them slung for a while when they let go. Now I twist them back and forth OCD style to make sure they are fully engaged.

Those BFG padded custom slings are the best. They aren't cheap, but they perform well. You can get some interesting color combinations for your builds.