Slugs

Superbad459

Generally recommended no tighter than modified I believe... I've read all sort of things on accuracy with suggestions from cylinder to modified.  It most likely comes down to the slug maker and the specifics of your barrel.  I've seen regular soft lead foster slugs go through a full choke without problem but when you start looking into more hardened varieties or something like the DDupleks steel slugs I'd contact the maker.

• Upvote 1

I bought the Imp Cylinder and Cylinder chokes as well, It is clear that the slugs are squeezing through the one that came with the gun. Also I have heard (not experimented) that the buckshot pattern is better when you use the federal premium flight control wad if you use an IC or C because the modified strips the wad prior to its intended purpose. At 15 yards my spread was about the size of a widely spread hand.  one of the others was the size of a fist and he had the cylinder choke in.  

I did buy them, but haven't switched them out and experimented.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, STATMATT said:

https://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/faq#question_1394

It specifically says it is not safe to "shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.

4 notches = improved cylinder

5 notches = cylinder

Yet I've been fine shooting through modified for YEARS... it's more important to check slug type.

Seems like an odd statement given they ship thousands of m4s with modified chokes... unless they expect m4 users to only use birdshot.  But of course there are no typos on websites...

• Upvote 1