M4 Final Setup

Sigma05

Finally got it how I want it. After much research, training and even a Gunfighter match (not 3Gun), this setup works awesome for me. Only thing I would have done differently is the Spuhr handguard, if it had ever made it into production. I would like a shorter stock that doesn’t have a pistol grip, but struck out there. I may fab my own sling loop shell holder on the right side of the stock.

Hensoldt RSA

Strike Industries Hayl handguard

Surefire Scout M600DF

Mesa Tactical 8 shell saddle

Limbsaver buttpad 

Magpul M-Lok hand stop

Nordic +1 Nova extension

Taran Tactical lifter

GG&G bolt release 

IWC front QD mount 

RCI extended safety

02DF17B0-435E-4699-BF49-D52412FBD3EE.jpeg

03A9BD53-053A-45C0-A982-B2D1BF9F8E04.jpeg

• Like 1

Sigma-

Could you please share the following:

- Part # of the LimbSaver pad

- Make/model of the door breacher

- Is the single shell holder part of the hand guard or separate?

- - If separate, make/model?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by RPC

42 minutes ago, RPC said:

Sigma-

Could you please share the following:

- Part # of the LimbSaver pad

- Make/model of the door breacher

- Is the single shell holder part of the hand guard or separate?

- - If separate, make/model?

Thanks in advance. 

Limbsaver 10403

Standoff breacher is original Benelli made for M4.

Taccom match saver. There are much lower profile ones out there I just happen to have this one laying around in the spares box for my 870. I’ve seen ones with M-Lok mounts too  

7 minutes ago, Sigma05 said:

Limbsaver 10403

Does this require an adapter or anything? I’ve seen Limbsaver recommended previously and done research (all great recommendations) and only found comments on fit issues & that it doesn’t come with hardware, but it also seems like some of LS’s buttpads require adapters. 

7 minutes ago, Sigma05 said:

Standoff breacher is original Benelli made for M4.

Does this require choke threads in the barrel or does it mount externally? Initial research inconclusive. 

20 minutes ago, Sigma05 said:

Taccom match saver

Would you use the same again or recommend I look at another offering. 

Again, thanks Sigma. 

5 minutes ago, RPC said:

Does this require an adapter or anything? I’ve seen Limbsaver recommended previously and done research (all great recommendations) and only found comments on fit issues & that it doesn’t come with hardware, but it also seems like some of LS’s buttpads require adapters. 

Does this require choke threads in the barrel or does it mount externally? Initial research inconclusive. 

Would you use the same again or recommend I look at another offering. 

Again, thanks Sigma. 

No adapter. Just lube screwdriver and remove hardware from factory buttpad. 

I comes with a choke that has thread on the end and you thread it to that. It’s specific for the M4. You’ll see when you look it up. 

I would recommend a lower profile one. Mine had a thick base which makes it stick out a lot. Will eventually swap it out. There’s a ton out there. Look up “match saver”.

1 hour ago, Sigma05 said:

I comes with a choke that has thread on the end and you thread it to that. It’s specific for the M4. You’ll see when you look it up. 

I would recommend a lower profile one. Mine had a thick base which makes it stick out a lot. Will eventually swap it out. There’s a ton out there. Look up “match saver”.

Appreciate it. 

9 minutes ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

Thanks Sukhoi. 

I assume since my M1014 has the integral choke, employing this part is not in the cards for me?

I assume since my M1014 has the integral choke, employing this part is not in the cards for me?

If your M1014 is not threaded for chokes then indeed you would need to swap out to a barrel which does provide threads for changing out chokes if you wanted to use that screw in muzzle brake.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Sigma05 said:

If installing on a collapsible stock you need some different screws... I posted some info a year or two ago...

Edited by Scout_21

30 minutes ago, Scout_21 said:

If installing on a collapsible stock you need some different screws... I posted some info a year or two ago...

I am installing on a collapsible stock, new pad being delivered tomorrow.

I’ll look at your previous post now.

Thanks again Scout, you’ve been awesome. 

Edited by RPC

I could never get used to having a hand stop on the bottom of my handguard with the shotgun. It slowed me down when transitioning between firing and loading. I never liked being locked in to one hand position on the support hand. Depending on what I was shooting at or what kind of cover I was utilizing, having my hand in different locations helped.

Hopefully it works for you though. 

2 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

I could never get used to having a hand stop on the bottom of my handguard with the shotgun. It slowed me down when transitioning between firing and loading. I never liked being locked in to one hand position on the support hand. Depending on what I was shooting at or what kind of cover I was utilizing, having my hand in different locations helped.

Hopefully it works for you though. 

I have a somewhat weird way of doing things for a good reason. I was hit by a car and nearly lost my left arm. I’ve had many operations to recover it, and I nearly had it back up 100%. Unfortunately it’s started failing again and I have a hard time keeping it in shape. Due to this, I primarily shot handguns with my right only for many years. That jacked up my tendons in my right arm. Especially because I only shot .40 all those years. I have very little arm strength, so I started loading my shotgun on my shoulder so I wouldn’t have to strong arm it. Long before it as a thing with quad loads. Once load two and four started happening, I just kept doing it the same way. I have the hand stops because of a weak grip. I can’t just hold with a lot of strength in my hands. I just pull on the hand stops. I do the same with my rifles. I do adjust my grip like you, but what I do is shift the hand stop back and forth between my fingers when needed. I generally don’t change my grip when loading. You can see it in the screenshot of a POV video I shot at last Gunfighter match. In the pic I’m wearing a glove on my left hand so I don’t burn myself on the hot barrel. I only load two for the same hand issues. Besides having small hands, I have a hard time retaining the four shells due to the tendon and muscles issues. Despite all that, I still shoot as much as I can and love doing it.

9A149064-F883-4EE5-B637-AD02CE67C7B9.thumb.jpeg.b83dfc78ff6308295e9cd9d5da4f1a78.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, RPC said:

I am installing on a collapsible stock, new pad being delivered tomorrow.

I’ll look at your previous post now.

Thanks again Scout, you’ve been awesome. 

Hey, Happy to help any M4 fan... Just carrying on the tradition of long time members like StrangerDanger

Sigma -

Sorry to year about your injury. What you’re doing makes sense. A friend of mine had a similar injury from Rally racing. He’d end up tying that hand to the shifter for the races. 

Do you find it to be easier if the shotgun or rifle is lighter? I’d also recommend the A&S trigger frame for loading. 

17 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Sigma -

Sorry to year about your injury. What you’re doing makes sense. A friend of mine had a similar injury from Rally racing. He’d end up tying that hand to the shifter for the races. 

Do you find it to be easier if the shotgun or rifle is lighter? I’d also recommend the A&S trigger frame for loading. 

Weight matters more when I’m shooting and arm is extended and holding up long gun. Not during loading because my shoulder holds the weight. My primary rifle is a G36C precisely because it’s light. A&S trigger frame is definitely in the plans in the near future. Very well designed. 

Edited by Sigma05

1 hour ago, StrangerDanger said:

Sigma -

894E1CDA-4223-43E8-AAE9-3E3789004BD1.thumb.jpeg.630039853b1237f479c269694032ded8.jpeg

Here’s another screen shot practicing loads. You can see I don’t use muscles at all. Elbow is against body and shotgun is supported up on shoulder. I don’t invert shotgun completely like some do. Makes getting back on target faster too since I don’t have to adjust hands. Have been doing it this way for quite some time with my 870. Long before the 3Gun fad started. 

Makes sense. I was going to recommend loading from belt mounted clips like the California Competition holder and removing the shell carrier. Every shell you add to the gun adds 2 ounces. Loading from these types of holders is faster than cherry picking from a shell carrier  since you’re loading 2 or 3 shells per grab depending on hand size. Some guys are even grabbing 4 at a time. Figure you have half a pound of ammo in the carrier plus the weight of the carrier. It’s not so much the weight, but how it affects how you can swing the gun from target to target  

I didn’t see what magazine tube you had installed. Is it a titanium model? That’ll cut another 5.5 ounces off the front end if that hasn’t been done. Reportedly, Briley is making a carbon fiber magazine tube. I haven’t seen any weight data yet though.

Those Hayl rails are comfortable, but the attachment system sucks. Using set screws is a terrible design. Briley is releasing their rail soon, which promises to be a better design.