M4 Final Setup

Sigma05

18 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Makes sense. I was going to recommend loading from belt mounted clips like the California Competition holder and removing the shell carrier. Every shell you add to the gun adds 2 ounces. Loading from these types of holders is faster than cherry picking from a shell carrier  since you’re loading 2 or 3 shells per grab depending on hand size. Some guys are even grabbing 4 at a time. Figure you have half a pound of ammo in the carrier plus the weight of the carrier. It’s not so much the weight, but how it affects how you can swing the gun from target to target  

I didn’t see what magazine tube you had installed. Is it a titanium model? That’ll cut another 5.5 ounces off the front end if that hasn’t been done. Reportedly, Briley is making a carbon fiber magazine tube. I haven’t seen any weight data yet though.

Those Hayl rails are comfortable, but the attachment system sucks. Using set screws is a terrible design. Briley is releasing their rail soon, which promises to be a better design. 

I like to be able to pick up the shotgun and have as much ammo on it as possible. I’m not always wearing something that allows me to put stuff in my belt. Winning matches is not my priority. I use them as training and getting me out of my comfort zone. 

I agree on the Hayl handguard, but until something better becomes available, it works for me. :)

Edited by Sigma05

First, thanks for the great post (with pictures no less). I really enjoy it when members take the time to create informative posts, then follow up by answering questions.

Have to say, “reasonably priced” fore ends (that work well) seem to have become a thing of the past with M4s. I almost ordered this product on-sight after reading your post and seeing that it was available in FDE.

But then I saw (for lack of a better term) “set screws” holding the fore end in place. That gave me pause. I regularly shoot my M4 (now, 2000+ rounds), so using it,  breaking it down, and cleaning it is a regular issue. Looks like the product video shows applying mild loctite as part of the install. Here are my concerns:

(1) Given that the product uses “set screws” to maintain position, have you had any problems with fore end rotation or movement after the install, especially after a “range day” of shooting?

(2) If you’ve shot your M4 regularly after the install, have you noticed any issues with the “set screws” moving, creating damage, or otherwise causing a nuisance after the install?

(3) Do you use a mild loctite with the “set screws” and, if so, have you had any complications when removing the fore end for cleaning?  

Advice appreciated and respected!

5 hours ago, DC DOG said:

First, thanks for the great post (with pictures no less). I really enjoy it when members take the time to create informative posts, then follow up by answering questions.

Have to say, “reasonably priced” fore ends (that work well) seem to have become a thing of the past with M4s. I almost ordered this product on-sight after reading your post and seeing that it was available in FDE.

But then I saw (for lack of a better term) “set screws” holding the fore end in place. That gave me pause. I regularly shoot my M4 (now, 2000+ rounds), so using it,  breaking it down, and cleaning it is a regular issue. Looks like the product video shows applying mild loctite as part of the install. Here are my concerns:

(1) Given that the product uses “set screws” to maintain position, have you had any problems with fore end rotation or movement after the install, especially after a “range day” of shooting?

(2) If you’ve shot your M4 regularly after the install, have you noticed any issues with the “set screws” moving, creating damage, or otherwise causing a nuisance after the install?

(3) Do you use a mild loctite with the “set screws” and, if so, have you had any complications when removing the fore end for cleaning?  

Advice appreciated and respected!

1. First time I installed it, it did move while practicing dummy loading. It was because I had only slightly tightened it. After that I tightened it down well and it hasn’t budged after many life fire training sessions and a match. I’m easily over 1000 rounds with it on. Make sure you tighten down the magazine tube cap first, and check that barrel is seated properly against receiver, before tightening set screws. Otherwise the front set screws will sit on the edge of the front mounting location.

2. They have not moved. They do leave a small “dimple” in the finish of the front set screws. Doesn’t bother me but it could bother some. I actually went and made a small recess with the Dremel, so that the set screws have a fixed location to grab. 

3. I used blue loctite and it has worked well. Hasn’t loosened, and wasn’t an issue removing forend. I have removed it several times and haven’t had to reapply loctite yet. 

Like many, I agree that it’s not a great setup with the set screws, but I do like the feel of the grip and Mlok feature. Until something better comes out, this has been doing the job well, despite having to use tools to strip down the shotgun. 

Edited by Sigma05
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, StrangerDanger said:

Those Hayl rails are comfortable, but the attachment system sucks. Using set screws is a terrible design. Briley is releasing their rail soon, which promises to be a better design. 

I keep searching for the Bailey rail without success. Any information? THANKS!

On 6/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, StrangerDanger said:

I keep searching for the Bailey rail without success. Any information? THANKS!

• 7 months later...

Like the saying says: you’re never really done. Swapped the Hayl handguard for the Briley 13” Mlok one. Love this thing! Especially because I can now run my light much further forward. Unlike others have mentioned, mine has absolutely zero wiggle to it. I must have gotten one of the updated ones. Unfortunately I won’t be able to take it out to the range till next week to give a good test run. 

04773B65-B7A3-4B86-ABCC-DC9E1F171802.jpeg

14578F01-DF4C-47F9-AEE7-8FA8C22B971B.jpeg

On 4/9/2020 at 4:05 PM, Sigma05 said:

Like the saying says: you’re never really done. Swapped the Hayl handguard for the Briley 13” Mlok one. Love this thing! Especially because I can now run my light much further forward. Unlike others have mentioned, mine has absolutely zero wiggle to it. I must have gotten one of the updated ones. Unfortunately I won’t be able to take it out to the range till next week to give a good test run. 

04773B65-B7A3-4B86-ABCC-DC9E1F171802.jpeg

14578F01-DF4C-47F9-AEE7-8FA8C22B971B.jpeg

How do you like that muzzle brake/compensator? Worth the investment? 

17 minutes ago, DFWSFO said:

How do you like that muzzle brake/compensator? Worth the investment? 

It has more than one advantage. It not just a brake. It’s also a choke. Plus it allows you to run the +1 extension. Not that you can’t run the extension without it, but this way you get more than one benefit out of the whole setup. 

3 minutes ago, StrangerDanger said:

Now much recoil reduction do you feel with the comp? Any chance in how loud the shotgun is perceived to the shooter?

If I had an entry length barrel, I’d be tempted to get the muzzle threaded and add one along with the +1 cap. 

There is some perceived reduction. If that was the only reason for getting it, I wouldn’t have bothered, but since it included the choke and the possibility of increased capacity, then to me, that made it worth it. 

I pay no attention to the loudness so I couldn’t tell you if there’s any difference. I normally shoot an 8” G36C as well as a 300 win mag, so I don’t notice any noise  difference from an 18” shotgun with or without the brake. 

Took the M4 out to run the Briley handguard through its paces. Burned through 300 shells nonstop. The handguard didn’t even budge. I must have gotten one of the updated ones. No wiggle or looseness whatsoever. Another great thing is that it doesn’t transfer the heat to the handguard like most aluminum handguards do, and the barrel was scorching hot! Got a bunch of reload drills in and only dropped two shells. All in all in was a great range session. 

0CD12E11-43DC-4E25-929E-7A1F02CD8B1E.jpeg

B04B5A86-58C6-447C-8F8D-53F639289C14.jpeg

F18830A2-AB7A-41D6-BCC5-5C588B62B1ED.jpeg

0C45A06B-82DF-4340-AF07-14BB325392AF.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Birdog19 said:

Sigma!

Awesome field report!!  Glad to hear your Briley worked to perfection.  300 rounds and only dropped 2 shells on reloads.  Awesome dude.  But anyone can tell that by your excitement and pics!  Do you load 2 or 4?  Happy for you!

I only load two. I have very small hands and haven’t done any work to the port. I can do four but generally with a much lower success rate. I’ll get there eventually. :D 

Edited by Sigma05
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DFWSFO said:

How do you like the sight picture with that Hensoldt? Doesn't appear to co-witness with your irons, but assuming that's a non-issue for you? 

I like it because it’s simple, light, rugged, runs on both battery and solar, plus it has a quick release if all that fails and need to go to irons. I raised my cheek riser to match it. I prefer the more relaxed head up position. That’s why I didn’t try to get anything that actually cowitnessed. 

Edited by Sigma05
  • Like 1

I am trying to get a hold of the Breacher/brake. I am not having much luck as it is "Sold Out" on Benelli's site and I'm having no luck on the Web. Any help would be much appreciated. Benelli M4 Muzzle Brake W/ non Choke Adapter

Edited by Kyuss
Other

1 hour ago, Kyuss said:

I am trying to get a hold of the Breacher/brake. I am not having much luck as it is "Sold Out" on Benelli's site and I'm having no luck on the Web. Any help would be much appreciated. Benelli M4 Muzzle Brake W/ non Choke Adapter

I got mine on eBay. Otherwise you’re just going to have to be patient. It’s the name of the game with rare quality foreign guns. 

1 hour ago, Sigma05 said:

I got mine on eBay. Otherwise you’re just going to have to be patient. It’s the name of the game with rare quality foreign guns. 

Thanks for the reply!  I figured as much, but thought I would ask.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, Sigma05 said:

Took the M4 out to run the Briley handguard through its paces. Burned through 300 shells nonstop. The handguard didn’t even budge. I must have gotten one of the updated ones. No wiggle or looseness whatsoever. Another great thing is that it doesn’t transfer the heat to the handguard like most aluminum handguards do, and the barrel was scorching hot! Got a bunch of reload drills in and only dropped two shells. All in all in was a great range session. 

0CD12E11-43DC-4E25-929E-7A1F02CD8B1E.jpeg

B04B5A86-58C6-447C-8F8D-53F639289C14.jpeg

F18830A2-AB7A-41D6-BCC5-5C588B62B1ED.jpeg

0C45A06B-82DF-4340-AF07-14BB325392AF.jpeg

Have you tried shooting it left handed? I’m wondering if the bigger side saddle causes issues at all.